Brief Synopsis | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Our use of the ball in the final third was predictable and easy to defend against. There is a lack of confidence and no one is anticipating in the penalty area.
Carey became frustrated after receiving a few dodgy tackles although I did think he was looking for the foul. His attitude seemed similar to Reuben Reid when things didn't go his way.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
300+ games, 70+ goals and Goodwillie's confidence is destroyed by a very small crowd on a freezing day against poor opposition, an occasion that a player of his experience should relish/thrive in???

Perhaps a smidgeon of responsibility for a sloppy performance could be taken by the professional player himself? :think:

I would have loved that opportunity ... loved it!!

Am I being too harsh!!?? :lol:

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Worst performance and game of football all season. Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, it did.

That was absolutely awful and there cannot be any excuses, like the ref or the pitch etc...

Newport are a very poor team lacking any quality yet we couldn't even break them down when they had 10 men.
We were so stretched at times towards the end if they had played a better ball they could of snatch 2 goals on the break even.

How we could not bring there keeper to a save in 90 mins of football is beyond me.

Thought the sending off for them was harsh and had it been given the other way I would of been angry but then again the ref could of sent off their No 2 who fouled Carey 3 times after his yellow card and deserved a 2nd yellow based on the other refs decisions. Guess he bottled taking them down to 9 men.

Goodwillie is a complete waste of space leading the front line so it was like 10 versus 10 anyway. I'm sorry but these people feeling sorry for him and saying he is an intelligent player etc must be on a different planet.
He has had ample opportunity and yet he continually fluffs his lines and simply isn't on the same wavelength as the other Argyle players. We need a big striker desperately. Brunt would be perfect but is still miles away and Garita isn't fit and doesn't look like the same player anymore. Without one in January this season is going to end up worse than last year with us finishing outside the playoffs even

We certainly don't look like a Promotion team anymore and with the rot well and truly set in now this has to be a new low point.
Thank god we have already got 38 pts on the board or we could be looking over our shoulders at this rate.

Donny are going to have a field day next week and improve their goal difference. Based on todays inept performance I'm predicting a proper drubbing next week
Argyle NIL FC 0 - 3 Donny

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
IJN":juvfn0ww said:
Didn't enjoy that one bit, our team seems to have lost our mojo again.

Is Jimmy Spencer the key? I certainly hope not.

Spencer is important. As with Reuben Reid he provides the focal point for our attack--he is inevitably the furthest player forward (the one up front if you like). Reid and Spencer share a similar skill which is the ability to control the ball extremely well when received--this holding up of the ball for a couple of seconds allows the supporting players to join the attack. Reid did it brilliantly and Spencer has shown he is just as adept. Take that away and try to play the same way with a forward who lacks that skill and it all breaks down--ball gets punted forward, doesn't get controlled, attack breaks down. Two up front might be the answer but if the ball is being launched forward it still relies on them being able to control the ball and build the attack. It needs a different approach. I think this is what is being attempted with the slow build up from the back and midfield but it is so bloody ponderous and predictable that the opposition have all the time in the world to regroup and get behind the ball.

Sorry if I am stating the obvious and I am sure better readers of the game than myself will come up with alternative explanations.

Jun 13, 2015
That was the biggest shower of sh*%e performance from that set of PLAYERS for a long time......they should hang their heads in shame, truly awful afternoon!!!! :banghead: :furious:

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Maybe Argyle should invest in a goal poacher, before investing and re-building the grandstand.

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa Green":aq2cfodj said:
Maybe Argyle should invest in a goal poacher, before investing and re-building the grandstand.
No good investing in a poacher we are not even getting close to creating chances in the area!!! :furious:

Aug 11, 2013
We don't have a target man similar to Spencer. Garita can't play the role. Brunt is closest replacement on books but not sure where he is in his rehabilitation. I think deep down Adams knows we're stuffed until we can get someone in in January and is trying to stay positive. If you exclude Garita who else is there who can play front man. You saw the answer in today's performance. We don't have anyone except Goodwillie who's living off some comments made 10 years ago. Jervis has played there but doesn't like playing with his back to goal. It never worked.

We might manage without a front man if we had a pacy winger who could get in behind and get some crosses and pull backs in but we don't have a Gregg Wilde type player either.

Personally I think we're knackered until January and Adams needs to pull another rabbit out of the hat with a player like Matt.
Bit down with our future prospects tonight.

Amended to say I totally agree with Old Gunner.

Oct 24, 2014
we are down to the bare bones squad wise, so you would think adams has another system to try with the players he has in front of him, not the system we always play,some on here go into meltdown after a few crap games, there defo been worse games, some were here sharpning their knifes waiting for the game to end , so they could get on here and have a over the top moan, yeh it was not great but calm down,

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
arrythewurzel":2ejzjhhw said:
We don't have a target man similar to Spencer. Garita can't play the role. Brunt is closest replacement on books but not sure where he is in his rehabilitation. I think deep down Adams knows we're stuffed until we can get someone in in January and is trying to stay positive. If you exclude Garita who else is there who can play front man. You saw the answer in today's performance. We don't have anyone except Goodwillie who's living off some comments made 10 years ago. Jervis has played there but doesn't like playing with his back to goal. It never worked.

We might manage without a front man if we had a pacy winger who could get in behind and get some crosses and pull backs in but we don't have a Gregg Wilde type player either.

Personally I think we're knackered until January and Adams needs to pull another rabbit out of the hat with a player like Matt.
Bit down with our future prospects tonight.

Amended to say I totally agree with Old Gunner.

Thanks 'arry! I would add that until we have resolved the striker issue (possibly in January/possibly with returns from Injury) we need to grind out some ugly results over the next month so that we stay in touch. I'd take a couple of draws and maybe a flukey win or two--but I think we need to regroup and at the very least make ourselves very difficult to beat.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Ottawa Green":2vuh9g0b said:
That man is Rooney IMO.

Putting him up front on his own aimlessly hoofing towards him will never be his game. Why on earth we did that I do not know. Truly truly awful.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
With the opposition down to 10 and key decisions seemingly going our way Adams is left with nowhere to hide. We haven't deserved to win any of the last 4 games now and someone has to answer for that, refereeing has provided a nice cover but today we have nobody but ourselves to blame, an absolute disgrace of a performance.

Our crossing has been woeful, besides Jervis' peach at Morecambe we haven't put a decent ball across at all in these games. Not that our forwards would know what to do with one if it found them, what is it with our forwards occupying the same space as one another, they all seem to attack the same spot.

Threlkeld at left back; why? Is it that hard to spot, this lad can seriously play but is wasted there. Of our two fit fullbacks he's the one who actually gets himself forward but when he gets near the box he has nowhere to go, his left foot isn't strong enough to cross and he's not a winger so cannot really cut in, when he brought on Donaldson I thought finally Adams had spotted it but no Donaldson was a straight swap and played on the right and got forward as often as bleddy Miller, switch them around ADAMS FFS man!

Defensively we somehow managed a groundbreaking new level of poor by finding ourselves looking very shaky against a team who were simply unable to attack us, incredible. Despite being down to 10 we were unable to break down this distinctly average Newport side, why? Because we are so slow, so predictable. It wasn't as though they parked the bus either, we could and should have countered them if we had an ounce of urgency about us. On several occasions we looked to be breaking away but each and every time someone would hold the ball up waiting for options by which time the chance was gone, we didn't take risks to make something happen and if you refuse to do that against 10 men, at home, in a cup game! When on earth do you gamble?

A lot has been made of the Goodwillie criticism, Rooney came on to little effect but I don't blame Adams for taking a punt, with Goodwillie unable to make even the simplest of passes, it simply couldn't have got worse. Will we see him in a green shirt again after being cheered off? Who cares...

May 30, 2008
Camberley, Surrey
Reading posts over the last few weeks, i think the fanbase has finally adjusted their expectations over what we can actually achieve and who we are as a club.

I think people have just accepted we are now a mediocre league 2 side, with a crap budget and no real chance of going anywhere anytime soon

So sad. We used to be a championship club, with high expectations and dreams of the premier league. Now we are just a no mark side, who most people expect to fail and fall by the way side despite our seemingly annual flourish before Christmas

Same old Argyle has never been more true over the lat two seasons and im afraid unless there is any real investment will continue to be

Argyle is becoming more a hobby with something to do on a saturday then anything else.

The overwhelming sense of failure is all too evident and so predictable

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Hoovermelon, you do know we're seven points clear in an automatic promotion place, right?