Carey ready to talk to Argyle about a contract (merged) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Carey ready to talk to Argyle about a contract (merged)

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Been through this before. Last summer Jamille Matt confirmed his intention to sign, but ended up at Blackpool. And let's not forget the club confirmation of McHugh only a day before he signed for Motherwell.

I have a feeling Carey is more committed to Adams than the other two mentioned. Graham is very much Adams player, while Matt was a loanee and McHugh was a Shez signing. I think Carey will sign, but I'm going to reign in my delight with the quoted statement until its official.

Come on Graham, sign a deal, get us to the Championship, be a club legend!

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
SwimWithTheTide":2vld9c4u said:
Come on Graham, sign a deal, get us to the Championship, be a club legend!

It may be hyperbole to say it, but he is verging on a club legend already. If you think that he (and Adams of course) have been the driving force behind pulling us out of our worst ever period, that's pretty historically significant :thumbup:

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Quite, but I'm talking in terms of longevity also. The club gave Adams the opportunity to commit long term to the club before the season started and he took it. Graham has been superb over the two seasons he's been at Home Park and in my opinion deserves the same opportunity.

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
I can see how L2 vs non-league budgets would differ greatly and that we couldn't commit to long term contracts knowing that one bad season could spell financial disaster. But from L1 to L2 there shouldn't be to big a gulf.... Therefore, hopefully this summer we will see the end of the 1 year contracts and we can start securing a team for the next few years of our journey.

You never know, players under contract playing well in L1 may well be getting interest from Championship clubs (youngsters even PL interest) so the length of contract is also something that will boost the coffers should clubs come knocking.

I hate the come-and-go attitude of football these days, gone are the days (with the minor exception) of loyal managers and players allowing a team to become heroes.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Biggs":ob966dl3 said:
He is the symbol of the club at the moment, and that interview sounds like he is going to stay as long as a decent offer is made.

Come on Argyle, lets not have another Jamille Matt situation. Has to be at least two years and good money.

Matt might have been carrying a long term injury and while he was a loan player it didn't matter if he broke down but I can understand the club being wary of offering him a contract.

He only played 10 games for Blackpool in the first three months of the season and only one of those was the full 90 minutes.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Needs to be wrapped up before the season ends.

Just hope it's not just a way of 'reminding' other clubs about his situation

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
The one year contract system has clearly worked well, whe the hell change it once the sums get bigger???

Why Carey would fare better from playing against the likes of those with a skill level of Songo to those with ability better than Fox, that's certainly a mystery.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
I've got a feeling that...

Unless GC is offered something in the championship it would mean staying in League 2, an offer from League 1 or an offer from another country. I don't see him wanting to play for a club against Argyle which would only leave him the option of going outside the EFL. Just a feeling.

Tynan One Nil

🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 23, 2013
Forget winning the league, get him in a room and don't let him leave until he signs, infact invite Sonny in and do similarly.
Nothing more important at the moment, will send out a great message to other potential targets.
Unfortunately, much depends on his Agents expectations I suspect...

Jul 12, 2016
As much as I like Carey as a player NOBODY is irreplaceable.I doubt we will be relegated if he goes or promoted if he stays next season.We lost some good players last year but their replacements have been better.

Aug 11, 2013
I hadn't realised but Carey is actually 28 next month. At 30 he'll probably be past his best before date. I think at 28 a Championship club would have been in for him before now.

I love Graham Carey but to me he is a diamond with a few flaws. For every 10 brilliant things he does, he does make 2 or 3 awful decisions (not yesterday). My son says Dad it's because he's always trying to do something extraordinary and it doesn't always come off, hence the mistakes, but I often wonder whether other clubs and managers see the flaw in our diamond.

I do hope GC stays. Him DA and PAFC seem a good fit and I'm not sure he'd be the same player elsewhere. For one I'd love to see how he compares in league 1.

Feb 23, 2008
I don't see Carey's comments as being particularly positive to be honest. I think he's basically said he's happy to stay here if no one comes in for him in the summer. Smacks of media trained-talk to me.

Much as I'd love him to stay and finish the job he helped start (imagine playing in the championship being adored by the fans for the club he helped pull out of the basement division), I have a feeling he will be off if someone such as Forest, Blackburn, Millwall or even Bristol City came in for him.

Many players that have left argyle have gone on to have good careers at a higher level. I just hope that if he does go he doesn't end up a bit part player for a team, that'd be a waste for both him and us.

Either way I'm sure DA has a plan and there are a few on his database that would be getting a call once Carey's wage was freed up.

Having said that I'd be elated if he proves me wrong and signs.....

B

BaffinsPompey

Afternoon all,

Congrats on your promotion - well deserved. Fair play you are a hard team to beat

So like you we have started plotting next season and what few players we need to get in to have a crack at the playoffs perhaps. With Gary Roberts' pace gone, we probably have an attacking midfield berth available. A quite a few this end are talking about Carey as an apt replacement for him. He has looked pretty decent this year, chances of him being lured?

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008