Carey ready to talk to Argyle about a contract (merged) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Carey ready to talk to Argyle about a contract (merged)

B

BaffinsPompey

oh has he signed on? we have a few out of contract as well, looking at who we want to keep currently

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
edmonds200":2prplijo said:
I heard from a reliable source that he has had an offer of £2750 per week from Argyle. If true shows good ambition from the board. Think we will have to get to Gary Roberts money of £3500 per week to secure GC tho. Time will tell

If Pompey are paying that money to GR, they are being seen off IMHO.

Jun 2, 2016
If we are spending 55% of a £5M turnover on player wages, with a squad of 25, that's around £110k per year / player on average.
£2750 / week is £140k / year.
So that's ambitious, unless I got my numbers wrong (approximations I know)

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
That could be balanced by a younger player earning £80k per year (£1500/week) which may not be far wrong.

The difficulty comes when Taylor, Fox, Sonny etc all want parity and suddenly you have 4/5 players earning upwards of £2500 and all of a sudden you need quite a few lower paid youngsters (of which we have few) to balance the books.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
May 4, 2012
Sunderland
the_corkscrew":2nj1dzrg said:
If we are spending 55% of a £5M turnover on player wages, with a squad of 25, that's around £110k per year / player on average.
£2750 / week is £140k / year.
So that's ambitious, unless I got my numbers wrong (approximations I know)
In League One it's 60%.

Oct 17, 2011
Plymouth
BaffinsPompey":1ifen00m said:
Afternoon all,

Congrats on your promotion - well deserved. Fair play you are a hard team to beat

So like you we have started plotting next season and what few players we need to get in to have a crack at the playoffs perhaps. With Gary Roberts' pace gone, we probably have an attacking midfield berth available. A quite a few this end are talking about Carey as an apt replacement for him. He has looked pretty decent this year, chances of him being lured?

You are asking in the wrong place mate, nobody on here knows anything, except rumour, conjecture and opinion,

May 16, 2016
Quintrell_Green":t40vo3ph said:
edmonds200":t40vo3ph said:
I heard from a reliable source that he has had an offer of £2750 per week from Argyle. If true shows good ambition from the board. Think we will have to get to Gary Roberts money of £3500 per week to secure GC tho. Time will tell

If Pompey are paying that money to GR, they are being seen off IMHO.

And possibly, haven't learnt any lessons.

B

BaffinsPompey

ah lessons have been learnt don't you worry, everything in budget these days and we make small profit each year. well I guess with all these lower league players, they will go to who pays them the most - as simple as that. and who can blame them, they have a short earning career and players like carey only have one last big contract in them.

Probably a year too early for us then to compete properly with the likes of Blackburn or maybe Birmingham wages wise - we are still getting taken over by this Disney bloke, so next summer will be the time for that possibly if it all happens ok .

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
TBH I see a game being played, GC parading like a peacock in his promotion finery, DA playing the I replaced 14 players in the summer and strengthened the team I can do it again !

I think Carey will get a take it or leave it and be off, I suspect that Adams has a replacement lined up from SPL maybe the St Mirren Lad in the championship that someone posted a video of

Personally i Think we have seen the last of Carey, Am I right that Jervis is also out of contract? why not the same publicity of this? maybe Jake realises the Grass isnt always greener after 13 clubs already?

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
He'll be looking for the right deal now to earn as much as he can now he's peaked in statue.

If we offer him 2.5k on a 2 year deal in L1 and another club offer 3.5k a week on a 3 year then it's a no brainer.

He's been pivotal to our cause this season but not completely irreplaceable in L1.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
edengreen":295punbi said:
TBH I see a game being played, GC parading like a peacock in his promotion finery, DA playing the I replaced 14 players in the summer and strengthened the team I can do it again !

I think Carey will get a take it or leave it and be off, I suspect that Adams has a replacement lined up from SPL maybe the St Mirren Lad in the championship that someone posted a video of

Personally i Think we have seen the last of Carey, Am I right that Jervis is also out of contract? why not the same publicity of this? maybe Jake realises the Grass isnt always greener after 13 clubs already?

Jervis has settled and got his career on track here after plenty of instability in the past, hope he continues with us.

May 16, 2016
If he wants to go, so be it. As good as he's been, the Club wont crumble without him. I console myself with the fact that other Club legends have been and gone but we carried on.