Carey... | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Carey...

Jan 27, 2012
££££s will make Carey stay or leave. That's the reality of football.

I hope the board (Brent) is actively doing something to try and keep him here.
If not, then I wonder what ambition the board really have- other than developing land.

Dec 22, 2015
Make him a good offer now with the option to leave if we don't et promotion. Get him on a 2 year deal and if he want to go in January and the money is right then he can go, but the money much be good and we will need to find a really good replacement player.

Aug 5, 2016
jimsing":359eolqg said:
I say again - What makes you think he will want to leave?

Why did Nelson, Hartley and McHugh leave?

Better standard of football, more money and a few years of contracted security.

I believe Carey's family is currently moving house to Plymouth, a great time it would be to tap into the excited mood in the Carey household by offering him a long term deal.

Assuming all is fine as with Nelson, as with McHugh, is not a strategy that has done us many favours in the recent past. Get it written on paper, get it signed and get it in the filing cabinet! :)

Aug 5, 2016
As for Carey I continually watch the fella and wonder how to gauge his standard.

His goals are straight out of the Champions League - top corners every time and usually rockets from distance, volleys or generally exciting goals. Think of a boring or standard goal he's scored for Argyle - it's much easier to list 5-10 of his screamers.

He's got a fantastic work rate stemming from his time as a LWB at Celtic, and will run all day.

He's the best crosser at the club, that's why he always gets shifted to the left wing when Plan A isn't working. His passing range is sublime.

I've heard a few times 'Carey isn't Championship level, he's League One at best', or recently 'he is nowhere near Friio's level'. How on earth do you gauge that? Everything you can do on a football pitch, bar heading, Carey has performed with astonishing skill in an Argyle shirt - his through balls, his set prices, his play making, his volleys, his distance shots, and even his dribbles. He is hands down the best quality player we have had in decades.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him playing Premier League football in a few years. I'd say he is comfortably Championship level now. We are extraordinarily lucky to have him and we shouldn't take it for granted.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Yet every game he gives the ball away in silly areas and can frustrate his colleagues by sometimes being extremely selfish. He gets away with it at our current level and will do at the next one up.

Championship? I'm not certain.

May 8, 2011
jimsing":3248iuhw said:
Cool down.

He was one of the first to sign a new contract last season, even before the Wembley loss.

What makes you think he wants/will want to leave?

Technically Carey didn't sign a new contract, Argyle triggered a clause in his contract to keep him here for a second year as Argyle did with Jervis.

Apr 6, 2009
Plymouth85Green":25myqmcr said:
Make him a good offer now with the option to leave if we don't et promotion. Get him on a 2 year deal and if he want to go in January and the money is right then he can go, but the money much be good and we will need to find a really good replacement player.

Completely agree - good contract with a clause for him to leave if we are in league 2 again next season if be wants

Apr 6, 2009
Does anyone know what sort of money is got for promotion, ie what can be spent on going up on better players/wages etc

Dec 22, 2015
I will be hugely disappointed if we are not looking at a deal for him. I will be even more dissapointed if we don't offer him before January and I will be fooked right off if we let this guy leave on a free transfer at the end of the season.

The comment about family moving down. Is this fact?

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Zero interest in football finance, but surely playing poorly - like he did for a fair chunk of games around the turn of the calendar year - would achieve that aim for him, katkin.

This team ethic thing will be pretty instantly eroded were such prima donna clauses to be introd'd.

Aug 2, 2011
Awful lot of wet behind the ears postings on here. Carey is an intelligent man with an agent. He will be advised as to the best course of action for him to take and given his inceasingly high profile that is likely to be - sign nothing before the Jan transfer window comes along. Even if he does sign a 2 plus year contract there will be nothing to stop another club with funds turning up with a bucket load of cash and a very high salary for the lad. He isnt going to turn down an opportunity to make the best of his career opportunities whilst he can.

So all those who innocently think we can secure his services with a long term contract or a few more bob on the table are living in complete lala land. Enjoy him while you can -it may well be not for long.

Apr 6, 2009
Presto":1vhegxub said:
Awful lot of wet behind the ears postings on here. Carey is an intelligent man with an agent. He will be advised as to the best course of action for him to take and given his inceasingly high profile that is likely to be - sign nothing before the Jan transfer window comes along. Even if he does sign a 2 plus year contract there will be nothing to stop another club with funds turning up with a bucket load of cash and a very high salary for the lad. He isnt going to turn down an opportunity to make the best of his career opportunities whilst he can.

So all those who innocently think we can secure his services with a long term contract or a few more bob on the table are living in complete lala land. Enjoy him while you can -it may well be not for long.

Thats the point though. If a club comes in january with a shed load of cash, with a lomger contract he will earn us more to potentially get a better replacement if he chooses to leave

Apr 6, 2009
Gary_Wills":3kjo8mpg said:
Zero interest in football finance, but surely playing poorly - like he did for a fair chunk of games around the turn of the calendar year - would achieve that aim for him, katkin.

This team ethic thing will be pretty instantly eroded were such prima donna clauses to be introd'd.

I do agree but im not sure hed sign for another year or 2 if potentially we may be in league 2 again.

As for his family someone posted a post from his other half saying theyd found a great house in.plymouth and she'd finally be moving down and theyd all be together

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Presto":e9nnwxwv said:

No but there is nothing stopping us being clever about this before the window rather than playing into the hands of other clubs and offering him a deal when we think he might accept it rather than when we want to tie him down.

There is nothing stopping Argyle admitting there will be interest and offering him decent terms to begin with, admitting there is interest will also allow us to discuss a deal that includes buyout clauses. We admit that we could potentially lose him but it would be on our terms for a fee no less than we have already agreed in his contract which is a darn sight better than him either leaving for free or holding the club to ransome later in the year. It is something he is more likely to accept as well as it gives him that freedom to move if the right club comes along without fear of us dragging our feet to keep him.

He may well turn it down anyway but you don't know anything until you put an offer on the table and find out where you stand. Point is the longer we wait for him, the less he is worth on the market and the more power he has to ask for more money.