Carey... | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Carey...

Jun 22, 2008
Taunton
Above for me.

Pretty wet behind the ears to think people are wet behind the ears Presto! I think everyone has said get a contract sorted as that will at least secure some cash for Argyle should a big wallet come knocking on the door.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
He's a star player for any team in L2 and he's ours for the time being.

I can't see acontract offer being made to just one player thou. Doesn't send out a warming message to the other players.

One question I do have.. when the clause was triggers for Carey's extension, does the contract stay on the same terms with just an added year or could it have be negotiated to add another clause to extend etc if we go up etc

May 8, 2011
I've no doubt Argyle will offer Carey a contract but I'm sure he won't agree to sign one until late in the season if at all.

Obviously Argyle won't disclose the terms but all the Brent out brigade will moan that we didn't offer enough despite the fact he wasn't going to sign any contract that wouldn't bankrupt the club.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
If when we play the best teams in L2, GC takes them apart, and the oppo fans come away scratching their heads as to why a gifted player ends up in L2 all well and good, may the transfer siege mentality begin.

This clever talk though - there's a uniform one year transfer policy introduced, it's great, it keeps the players hungry and enables the manager to move on players he's not so keen on: yet the second year along its uniformity should be dismantled because we have an attacking midfield player performing to expectation. All sounds a bit over clever.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Quality player with a great work ethic and a real team player.

The lad has it all and is easily a championship player now.

I think he would of been gone January of last season barring his injury so keeping him this year will be tough.

Money talks and I'm sure his agents advice will be sit tight until June when he will be in the driving seat with Argyle or any of the many interested parties that are already watching him.

Hopefully us getting auto PROMOTED will help our cause of keeping him but somehow I still think it will be tough. Our only hope is getting promoted and breaking the bank for his wages in the hope of back to back promotions to the championship.

Bristol Rovers are not doing so badly in the higher league

May 8, 2011
Perhaps the situation Reid got himself into may turn out to Argyle's advantage as Carey is 28 next May so he will be looking for some financial certainty as in football terms he is reaching the twilight of his career. He may decide to stay with the devil he knows rather than wait for offers hid agent say are there that don't turn up.
Getting promoted would also help.

Aug 2, 2011
Offer him whatever you wish the fact is he will be advised by his agent to do what is best for him and that means leaving all options open. In all probability clubs will be talking to agents through the next couple of months so any degree of interest will be being passed to players.

I sincerely hope he stays at least to the end of 2016/17 but putting a 3year or any other contract on the table now will not guarantee certainty. If he were to sign something now with a sell on clause or any other clauses does not guarantee his future with Argyle. Put yourself in his position you would want to keep all options open.

Oct 11, 2014
He won't sign a contract until either Promotion is confirmed or the end of the season. If we don't go up, he is likely to sign for a L1 or Championship club on better wages. If we go up, we will be able to offer him a more lucrative contract and he will be far more likely to sign a new contract at that point

Therefore I expect the club to turn down any offers in January, unless its for silly money.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
gaspargomez":3fqyjuyh said:
I'm not sure I have your faith, Mr Corkscrew. The club let Nelson and Reid go. And these players didn't leave Argyle for particularly "big" clubs.

Two completely different scenarios.

Nelson- been here a while now from youth through to captaining the first team. Through most of his first team experience it's been one of struggle and lack of forward movement so obviously he wants to try somewhere else to test himself.

Reid- should have had more faith in himself. After an almost completely wasted season he couldn't have expected a mind blowing contract offer so should possibly have exorcised some restraint and signed on the bottom line. It was obvious we couldn't have made him the only striker option so DA had to budget to allow Spencer et al to be signed. If we'd made Reuben a special case we could have found ourselves lumbered with two long term injured forwards and in the same boat as Exeter.

And to Graham Carey. Undoubtedly the jewel in the crown the crown which DA is fashioning. Did anyone actually come in for Carey? We'll never know due to his early signature and that is where the conundrum is. We'll never know how much in demand he was. A 1 year contract wouldn't be unbreakable financially if he was that wanted. As this season goes on his stock is definitely rising and an improved offer should be on the table but won't that just alert other clubs to his reluctance to sign (should he be so inclined) which will force offers for him in January.

Jun 2, 2016
One thing Carey won't want to do is play in league 2 again next year. Been there, done that. The best chance of persuading him to stay is going up, or looking very well placed to go up January time. Let's hope that works out. Barring that, DA will already have an idea or two on who he might like to replace GC10...much as we love watching Carey, it's dangerous having a long term plan that revolves around one player

May 21, 2015
If we had the finances to improve his wages a single year extension with option for a further year would be the best bet imo. He has certainly put himself in a good position to leverage a good deal from us, should he wish to stay.
If the club has any suspicion that he could be poached in January it would be ridiculous if they didn't attempt to get him to sign on.

Feb 8, 2005
It takes two to tango.
Offer him a higher contract by all means, but it doesn't necessarily mean that he will sign it. Does Adams have the budget for it? Would Adams want him on a higher contract than others? We won games without him last season.
How do we know that he hasn't already signed a new higher contract last year? Signing doesn't mean he wouldn't go elsewhere anyway.
I think he has a lot of faith in Adams, he's come a long way down to be with him at this Club, and I also think he will stay the course. He's reaching his peak at 28 and needs certainty in playing. He has been given freedom to roam by Adams, he's said it himself. Will he get this elsewhere? What would be his role elsewhere?
But then, what do I know? What does anyone know?

Voice of Reason

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
We are at the mercy of bigger clubs higher up the food chain, that i'm afraid is the sad reality of 21st century English football.
If a Championship club want him and are prepared to pay us a reasonable sum, there is pretty much next to nothing we can do - money talks for players and clubs alike.
If it does happen in January, our best hope is that its a club we have a relationship with, someone like Bristol City, so that we are at least in a position to bargain a little bit, OK we will reluctantly sell, but we'd like to keep Garita and we'd also like a wide player for the rest of the year, whats on offer?
Adams and Carey both are smart enough to realise this and as long as he's busting a gut every time he wears a green shirt, then we as fans, have to accept that. Whilst we are in this division, we are mere tiddlers and those that grow, will be wanted by bigger clubs.

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Lots of opinions and good advice but I`ve an inkling that DA and the board have already thought through every imaginable scenario. Uninformed speculation is just that, uninformed speculation. Have faith in DA etc. and for good measure, fingers crossed.