Cheapskate trophy against them up the road! | Page 15 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Cheapskate trophy against them up the road!

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
GreenArmy1984":2ce8shc7 said:
Alright chaps no more mention of this from me

Sorry if I upset you

Hi GA84, I know you said you were walking away from this convo, but as a younger fan (24) I was hoping you or another fan around at the time might be able to provide insight to the date 18th October 1994 (cheers GoS!) when we lost 3-1 at Home Park to Exeter in the equivalent competition. The attendance that night was 1847, so I'm just interested as to why there was such little interest in that match, but Tuesday night's, which could serve to have negative implications as to the wider picture of the future of the football league and Argyle's best interests in the medium to long term, was such a draw for someone such as yourself?

Mar 27, 2013
BIDEFORD NORTH DEVON
Ok here we go ......

Been watching the Argyle vs Exeter Devon Derby since 1985/86

Seen them Home & Away in all competitions i.e. Milk cup , football league trophy , FA Cup & the league

Great fixtures & even the Devon professional bowl - Whatever the competition I enjoy the devon Derby

Luckly seen the last 5 wins at St James Park 1994 , 2000 , 2002 , 2014 & 2016 ( All league )

Enjoyed our Wins Home & Away Last Season vs Exeter City

That's just Me

Aug 24, 2014
Plymouth
GreenArmy1984":147np8s2 said:
Ok here we go ......

Been watching the Argyle vs Exeter Devon Derby since 1985/86

Seen them Home & Away in all competitions i.e. Milk cup , football league trophy , FA Cup & the league

Great fixtures & even the Devon professional bowl - Whatever the competition I enjoy the devon Derby

Luckly seen the last 5 wins at St James Park 1994 , 2000 , 2002 , 2014 & 2016 ( All league )

Enjoyed our Wins Home & Away Last Season vs Exeter City

That's just Me

Don't change who you are, or how you post to please other people on here. If they don't like it there are options they can take to ignore it. If they don't, that's their problem not yours.

I may not always agree with how you post, but it is your posts, not mine. Keep it up. No-one should be pushed away from expressing how they want on here.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
X Isle":13444ro3 said:
PAFC94":13444ro3 said:
GreenArmy1984":13444ro3 said:
We are unbeaten in this years Checkatrade Trophy

Yeovil Away Next Up - Tuesday 28th November

Top 2 of the group go into knockstages

The Big Prize - The Final at Wembley stadium 8th April

Bore off ffs.
Sorry, I try not to bite, but I have to agree.

The competition is widely derided, not just at Argyle but nationwide. After the early unpleasantness leading up to the Chelsea Creche game most on both sides of the boycott/support divide have unconsciously settled on an unspoken truce. Lines were drawn and we have our chosen sides, the Exeter game approached, happened and passed without the same levels of antagonism.

GA84 however seems determined to stoke hostilities with these constantly posted 'hand grenades' luzzed over from his trench.

Most others have reached a point of either heartfelt or grudging respect for the opposite viewpoint yet Oberluetenant Von Optimism wants war. Insufferable chirpy self satisfaction this week about the price of his hospitality meal (ever stopped to think WHY it was so cheap?) and the state of the least important league table of all time risks sticking a bayonet in old wounds. You either have to believe an individual is THAT stupid as to be blissfully unaware of the effect of what he's posting or he's doing it deliberately.

Either way the rest of the posters, agreeing with his self stroking appreciation of the competition or not, are supposed to sit in silence, teeth grinding, and just take it, or risk being censured themselves.

Well sorry mods, I have tried so hard but that was one post that willfully failed to 'read the room' too many for me. I therefore agree with PAFC94 and will go further...

...bore the f**k off this subject please GA. Allow the uneasy peace regarding this most contentious of competitions to continue and stop picking wounds just to see how much they bleed.

Feels like you've just kicked a puppy.

May 22, 2006
SwimWithTheTide":15r9pjlf said:
GreenArmy1984":15r9pjlf said:
Alright chaps no more mention of this from me

Sorry if I upset you

Hi GA84, I know you said you were walking away from this convo, but as a younger fan (24) I was hoping you or another fan around at the time might be able to provide insight to the date 18th October 1994 (cheers GoS!) when we lost 3-1 at Home Park to Exeter in the equivalent competition. The attendance that night was 1847, so I'm just interested as to why there was such little interest in that match, but Tuesday night's, which could serve to have negative implications as to the wider picture of the future of the football league and Argyle's best interests in the medium to long term, was such a draw for someone such as yourself?

I'm not the one you asked but as an oldish-timer, I may be in a position to explain.
In October 1994 we were worse than we are now.

By magnitudes.

I know it's hard to imagine, but right now we're only "2-1 to Doncaster" bad. That's rookie-level bad. That's weak-ass, lily-livered, vanilla-flavoured bad. In 1994/95 we were weapons-grade, amps at 11, balls-to-the-wall bad. We defined bad. "0-7 to Brentford" bad. "0-4 to Walsall" bad. "1-5 to Bradford" bad. "2-5 to Blackpool" bad. "1-5 to Brentford" bad.

If Argyle were playing in your back garden, you'd leave the house, go to the estate agents, sell the house, move to Redruth and then close the curtains just to make a point. You certainly didn't go out on a cold October night to watch the indignity of a local derby we were more or less nailed-on to lose, in a competition that few cared about even back then.

Mar 27, 2013
BIDEFORD NORTH DEVON
Yes 1994/95 we weren't in a good place

The season before we made the play off semi final vs Burnley 1993/94 - The Nearly Men

Remember 1994/95 Peter Shilton left the club and that season we were relegated

However 1995/96 was a cracker under Neil Warnock - One of the best years of my life & Wembley 96