Club President wants Mayflower open for Pompey | Page 10 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Club President wants Mayflower open for Pompey

Jan 6, 2004
I am more interested in how many seats we are going to lose through segregation - big clubs seem to get away with one column of stewards/netting separating the fans. We seem to need acres of segregation for reasons I do not understand.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
arrythewurzel":3ihrdaxf said:
GreensOnScreen":3ihrdaxf said:
The Mayflower in its day as the Enclosure is GOS's Picture of the Day today. Got to be a few thousand packed in there! http://www.greensonscreen.co.uk

At risk of revealing my severe decrepitude ... that is a shot of the old Devonport End looking towards the old Lyndhurst ... :eh:

It was the picture of the day a couple of days ago. You are correct in what the picture is today though.

Dec 3, 2005
Green_Flash":cai8ny0l said:
I am more interested in how many seats we are going to lose through segregation - big clubs seem to get away with one column of stewards/netting separating the fans. We seem to need acres of segregation for reasons I do not understand.

Exactly - never ever understood why in the 'big' games we needed so much segragation.

You see big 'derby' games in the Premiership and, as you say, one line of stewards seperating the supporters.

Sep 6, 2006
djg145":12v1xuw7 said:
Green_Flash":12v1xuw7 said:

Exactly - never ever understood why in the 'big' games we needed so much segragation.

You see big 'derby' games in the Premiership and, as you say, one line of stewards seperating the supporters.

I suspect it may have more to do with the concourse below.

Sep 6, 2006
Quizmike":2nysbhew said:
football-bet-data":2nysbhew said:
Lundan Cabbie":2nysbhew said:
There is no financial benefit for the club to do this and in fact would be done at a loss. The only benefit will be in atmosphere terms against a team who are quite used to playing in front of 18,000 crowds. I have read enough PASOTI pages to believe that if anyone might be affected by a large crowd, it could we'll be the team wearing green. In stark reality, with the way the club's finances sit at the moment it would be rather rash to go for this. I applaud the idea of racking up the atmosphere but let's not kid anyone that that alone will have Portsmouth quaking in their boots.

Its not just Portsmouth players though, its the linesman, referee, 4th official, away team dug out - all get an easy ride with an empty terrace.

But who is going to be in the Mayflower? Will the regular fans give up their usual seats to go to the Mayflower? Of course not.

So the Mayflower will be filled with occasional visitors and first timers. Are they going to suddenly become superfans who cheer the entire time, shout and scream at the away dug out and get on the back of the officials? Or will they more likely go to each other "that one in the midfield is quite good...what's his name again?"

Exactly. And remember what it used to be called? The Moanflower. And yes I did use to stand there. Will not make slightest difference to outcome. Best side will win over 2 games. I fear it to be Pompey whether it is played in front of a full house or a library.

Aug 12, 2010
South Wales
djg145":16jypgky said:
Green_Flash":16jypgky said:

My guess as regards the big segregation area is its usually to do with reducing HP policing and stewarding costs. In the event of a full house though you would think it worth selling the tickets. Raises the question whether the Police have a say in this.

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
ghost of hughie reed":34cf3t1g said:
djg145":34cf3t1g said:
Green_Flash":34cf3t1g said:

My guess as regards the big segregation area is its usually to do with reducing HP policing and stewarding costs. In the event of a full house though you would think it worth selling the tickets. Raises the question whether the Police have a say in this.

Embarrassing when you look at the away end section, in a sell out crowd, with 1000 empty seats. What sell out!?! How many have pompey been given?

Feb 23, 2008
Plymouth
Monster Green":3f9hzjgk said:
ghost of hughie reed":3f9hzjgk said:
djg145":3f9hzjgk said:
Green_Flash":3f9hzjgk said:

Embarrassing when you look at the away end section, in a sell out crowd, with 1000 empty seats. What sell out!?! How many have pompey been given?

Pompey have been given 1700 tickets

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
jay_smithy":23helfnh said:
Monster Green":23helfnh said:
ghost of hughie reed":23helfnh said:
djg145":23helfnh said:
Green_Flash":23helfnh said:

Pompey have been given 1700 tickets
Thank Jay

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Charlton fans bring their own sofa!!

CiAiMsRXAAAQuMd.jpg