Club President wants Mayflower open for Pompey | Page 9 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Club President wants Mayflower open for Pompey

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
football-bet-data":u4eacpmo said:
justanotherfan":u4eacpmo said:
GTTB Resurgam":u4eacpmo said:
football-bet-data":u4eacpmo said:
Would signal a statement of intent if this were to go ahead.

Regardless of how much £ a seat will make, having a full or nearly full Mayflower can give us an advantage, an advantage that we will need.

Get the place filled, get the atmosphere cranked up and lets have a push at Wembley. Most of our current fanbase will never have seen Argyle at Wembley - I'd love to experience this again.

Far to much apathy, a full Mayflower and 2 up front and take it to Pompey

Here here. If it costs the club a few grand to give us even a 1% better chance of going up then they need to do it.

I fail to understand why "Brenty" won`t spend money we don`t have to install seats that won`t be filled so we can be promoted (possibly?) straight back into administration, start life in the 3rd tier with a 10 point reduction :scarf: :scarf: .
How do you know they wont be filled? So we just plod along as we are - possibly lose by the odd goal, nick a draw or heaven forbid get a 1st leg lead away at Fratton and then have a mad scramble for tickets for the home leg, by which time its too late to install any additional seating.
Having seats and bodies in the mayflower WILL give us more of an advantage than we have now. Nobody knows exactly what the level of interest will be, but surely we have to speculate to accumulate?
By doing nothing it just typifies the "make do" mindset which then transposes into the stands and then onto the pitch.

Market the game properly, get bums on seats and lets be positive ffs

Okay, turn it around. How do you know they will be filled?

Aug 4, 2011
Ade the green":324re93v said:
football-bet-data":324re93v said:
justanotherfan":324re93v said:
GTTB Resurgam":324re93v said:
football-bet-data":324re93v said:
Would signal a statement of intent if this were to go ahead.

Regardless of how much £ a seat will make, having a full or nearly full Mayflower can give us an advantage, an advantage that we will need.

Get the place filled, get the atmosphere cranked up and lets have a push at Wembley. Most of our current fanbase will never have seen Argyle at Wembley - I'd love to experience this again.

Far to much apathy, a full Mayflower and 2 up front and take it to Pompey

Here here. If it costs the club a few grand to give us even a 1% better chance of going up then they need to do it.

I fail to understand why "Brenty" won`t spend money we don`t have to install seats that won`t be filled so we can be promoted (possibly?) straight back into administration, start life in the 3rd tier with a 10 point reduction :scarf: :scarf: .
How do you know they wont be filled? So we just plod along as we are - possibly lose by the odd goal, nick a draw or heaven forbid get a 1st leg lead away at Fratton and then have a mad scramble for tickets for the home leg, by which time its too late to install any additional seating.
Having seats and bodies in the mayflower WILL give us more of an advantage than we have now. Nobody knows exactly what the level of interest will be, but surely we have to speculate to accumulate?
By doing nothing it just typifies the "make do" mindset which then transposes into the stands and then onto the pitch.

Market the game properly, get bums on seats and lets be positive ffs

Okay, turn it around. How do you know they will be filled?

I have highlighted my original text in case you missed my comment

As I stated in my earlier post - seems like years ago now - allow "the end to justify the means" ?

So, plough a bit of dosh in for the seating OR any other way we can create a DISTINCT advantage at the home leg !

IF it works, maybe the reward of that positivity could be multiplied several times over - not just financially ?

It sends out POSITIVE SIGNALS of the Club's intent for next season.

IF it does not work, OK we make a loss and if it needs to be absorbed into the playing budget next season, so be it.

At least, we can say................

WE GAVE IT A GOOD GO !!

This is one chance to eradicate the disappointment of automatic promotion - give the fans a time to enjoy and thank them for their loyal support this season.

For once, look at the accounts tomorrow - somethings are more important and cannot be measured by £'s alone !!

Keep the Faith :scarf:

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
There is no financial benefit for the club to do this and in fact would be done at a loss. The only benefit will be in atmosphere terms against a team who are quite used to playing in front of 18,000 crowds. I have read enough PASOTI pages to believe that if anyone might be affected by a large crowd, it could we'll be the team wearing green. In stark reality, with the way the club's finances sit at the moment it would be rather rash to go for this. I applaud the idea of racking up the atmosphere but let's not kid anyone that that alone will have Portsmouth quaking in their boots.

Aug 4, 2011
Lundan Cabbie":3234srx1 said:
There is no financial benefit for the club to do this and in fact would be done at a loss. The only benefit will be in atmosphere terms against a team who are quite used to playing in front of 18,000 crowds. I have read enough PASOTI pages to believe that if anyone might be affected by a large crowd, it could we'll be the team wearing green. In stark reality, with the way the club's finances sit at the moment it would be rather rash to go for this. I applaud the idea of racking up the atmosphere but let's not kid anyone that that alone will have Portsmouth quaking in their boots.

Its not just Portsmouth players though, its the linesman, referee, 4th official, away team dug out - all get an easy ride with an empty terrace.

Aug 5, 2005
football-bet-data":25jrckzq said:
Lundan Cabbie":25jrckzq said:

Its not just Portsmouth players though, its the linesman, referee, 4th official, away team dug out - all get an easy ride with an empty terrace.

But who is going to be in the Mayflower? Will the regular fans give up their usual seats to go to the Mayflower? Of course not.

So the Mayflower will be filled with occasional visitors and first timers. Are they going to suddenly become superfans who cheer the entire time, shout and scream at the away dug out and get on the back of the officials? Or will they more likely go to each other "that one in the midfield is quite good...what's his name again?"

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
football-bet-data":2h423o1t said:
Lundan Cabbie":2h423o1t said:

If there were people on the Mayflower, do you really think that these official visitors would not be used to opposition fans being behind them or Argyle supporters particularly venomous that they'd find their behaviour a lot more outrageous than they're used to every other week? I find Argyle fans a nice friendly bunch and not intimidating one bit.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Lundan Cabbie":vou5vf2b said:
I find Argyle fans a nice friendly bunch and not intimidating one bit.

There are many, many club and officials that would not agree with that.

I stood for many year behind and around the dugouts and also on the corner near the BPE and I can assure you, Argyle's 'banter squad' was a fearsome mixture of acerbic and vitriolic wit.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
IJN":23mdap2r said:
Lundan Cabbie":23mdap2r said:
I find Argyle fans a nice friendly bunch and not intimidating one bit.

There are many, many club and officials that would not agree with that.

I stood for many year behind and around the dugouts and also on the corner near the BPE and I can assure you, Argyle's 'banter squad' was a fearsome mixture of acerbic and vitriolic wit.

Thankfully in the past then? Humour is a great thing from football fans but abuse and vitriol is just not necessary.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Let's put is this way, Ainsworth would't get away with what he got away with this season. :greensmile:

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Of course he would. The only difference would have been some fans would have been close enough to say their piece. Do you really think GA would have said "oh sorry" and just sat down? Think back to the famous Cantona incident. Eric was totally in the wrong but Matthew Simmons behaviour was ten times worse and I hate to think of him as fellow Eagle.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
GreensOnScreen":3fxg85z5 said:
The Mayflower in its day as the Enclosure is GOS's Picture of the Day today. Got to be a few thousand packed in there! http://www.greensonscreen.co.uk

That must be a very dated pic as I cannot detect a dugout nearest to the camera. They were certainly in place in the late 1950's when I first attended with any regulrity. They had white walls and a slightly sloping roof such that in rain the water ran back on to the first step of the terrace.

Jul 19, 2014
Lets be "green" and recycle!

Ask around any sport stadiums that are due for demolition or upgrades and ask for their old seating! Doesn't have to be football, just anything with seating!

The Boleyn Ground has 35,000 seats that West Ham no longer need so Brenty, or Mr President, could phone West Ham up and ask them to give us a price for 3.5 to 4 thousand of their unwanted seats when it gets demolished next year. They either sell them on to us at a reduced rate or very generously donate them free of charge as a great gesture of a big Premier League club helping out a lower league club and we just pay for collection and installation.

... And a few cans of green spray paint.

Or a stadium closer to home would be better to save further on transportation costs, plus everything is more expensive in London so if anyone knows of a sports ground with seating being torn up soon let us know!

Maybe someone with more knowledge on this kind of thing could offer any info on if this would even be possible? Does it have to be a special kind of seat fixture for example? This does nothing for the Play-Offs obviously, but just something to think about over the next couple of years maybe as we ain't getting a new grandstand any time soon!

If only we'd kept hold of the seats from the old Lyndhurst! Maybe they're sitting in a shed on Drake's Island?!