Credit to John Sheridan/Humble Pie time (merged). | Page 12 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Credit to John Sheridan/Humble Pie time (merged).

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
X Isle":3jzv28js said:
Anyways, back to the topic....

Ade the green":3jzv28js said:
X Isle":3jzv28js said:
Gary_Wills":3jzv28js said:
And how hopefully greatly exceed his target.

Beating Shrewsbuy twice is encouraging, perhaps shrews' measured slowish narrow style suited us, but all this 'decent chance of playoff success' is misleading isn't it. Our chance of failure is still 75% alas.

Well I'd certainly take more encouragement from the second win, the home win was an atrocious performance.

Just back from watching Crawley's funeral and funnily enough sat next to me was another neutral, a Cray Wanderers supporter (no, me neither :D) who happened to watch the Shrewsbury game yesterday. His, independent, view on the game was that Argyle looked like the team chasing a championship and could've won by four or five. He wished us luck.

All very encouraging to hear.... except we've been at the 'encouraging form' stage many times before in the last couple of seasons and it's always preceded a slump :facepalm:.

If he can delay that slump for three more games then it'll be enough because on our day we can beat everyone in this division, and if he does I'll gladly have some of that pie.

Agree with this. I'm probably wrong but I remember our droughts as being when the team was upset by loanees going back to their parent clubs. Certainly through January was when we were without AOC and Bobby went back to Bristol City every time he looked settled and putting in good performances.

I'd accept that, but only for that one spectacular winless streak. It doesn't however explain the following 'doldrum' winless spells over the last two seasons....

14/09/13 - 22/10/13 - seven games.
11/01/14 - 01/02/14 - four games.
22/03/14 - 05/04/14 - three games.
12/04/14 - 03/05/14 - five games.
22/11/14 - 13/12/14 - three games.
(..also in fairness the start of this seasons's 'January window rot' which actually commenced on Boxing Day, before the loanees departed)
14/03/15 - 28/03/15 - three games.

A good side that's properly prepared and motivated won't win every match, the odd winless game or two in a row is to be expected but they quickly get 'back on the horse'. Our problem is that we've had too many spells where we've gone longer than one or two games without a win, almost if we've had to go away and completely re-find our mojo all over again.

Since the end of March we've got better, only ever a maximum of two games before a win, but the stats are indisputable, we are prone to going AWOL for long spells of games.

But anyhoots, I've parked being on Sheridan's case so stop causing the handbrake to slip by towel flicking me :lol:

Going absent in games. That's certainly something I've noticed through the stats this year but it does seem strange to me that we seem to be more dangerous when we only have between 35 and 40% of the game.

I think we are a counter attacking side and we do allow teams to come at us. I also think that when we (as we did yesterday) score early we control the games to the point of giving the impression we can score when we like. Portsmouth being another example.

Where we are without question the very worst we can be is coming from behind and never looking like coming from behind. Of that I really don't understand why when we do have a very good side (at times). It might only take one game to bring back confidence among the fans but at present, we go behind, we may as well go home. Is this not what John Harbin was brought in for?

Feb 22, 2008
Mainly Saltash
X Isle":cr3cu7lm said:
He's entitled to his opinion.....
Indeed he is. We’re all different and it’s what makes life a bit more interesting.

I’m also entitled to my own opinions. I have an opinion on rude, aggressive loud-mothed bully-boys. I have an opinion on lynch mobs. I also have an opinion on those who spout remorseless negativity. I have an opinion on self-proclaimed ‘experts’ who seem to know better than the rest of us and ram their own prejudiced opinions down our throats. I have an opinion on defeatists; quitters who give up when it’s all there to play for. I also have an opinion on spoilers who seem determined to drag everyone else down to the level of their own miserable and depressed state of mind and wreck any sense of enjoyment for others. And so on.

Luckily we don’t find people like that around here and, even if we did, I’d keep my opinions to myself….

Just sayin' like. :greensmile:

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
ninjamissile":1s0gfymo said:
X Isle":1s0gfymo said:
Indeed he is. We’re all different and it’s what makes life a bit more interesting.

I’m also entitled to my own opinions. I have an opinion on rude, aggressive loud-mothed bully-boys. I have an opinion on lynch mobs. I also have an opinion on those who spout remorseless negativity. I have an opinion on self-proclaimed ‘experts’ who seem to know better than the rest of us and ram their own prejudiced opinions down our throats. I have an opinion on defeatists; quitters who give up when it’s all there to play for. I also have an opinion on spoilers who seem determined to drag everyone else down to the level of their own miserable and depressed state of mind and wreck any sense of enjoyment for others. And so on.

Luckily we don’t find people like that around here and, even if we did, I’d keep my opinions to myself….

:clap:

C

chronicgreen

Ollieargyle9":2k8a5ous said:
ninjamissile":2k8a5ous said:
X Isle":2k8a5ous said:

:clap:

Amen :nworthy:

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
X Isle":1jvrxfgc said:
Northernlightgreen":1jvrxfgc said:
justanotherfan":1jvrxfgc said:
Which Argyle runs over the white line on the day is always an unknown but let`s hope for the best. We now have the chance on merit, over 46 games we have been good enough for play-offs, inconsistent, but this is the 4th Division, with 4th Division players. We have met physical teams of giants who are practised in the dark arts. I`m sure all Pilgrims will get behind the manager and team. :scarf:

We have been in the playoff places for well over half the season, how is this inconsistent? I guess if we had played well in every game we would have got promotion through a top 3 finish. However, this is a hard earned opportunity we fully deserve.

It's inconsistent NLG because 7th, whilst you're right, is deserved, is just where we've averaged out. Our form and performance level has at times been top three, but equally at times has been bottom half. Our 'hokey cokey' form and performances averages us out at our deserved finishing position.

All we can do is pray for 'more hokey than cokey' over the next three games :thumbs:

^ ^ ^ This, many thanks your explanation.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
I think Sheridan deserves credit and some criticism. Some performances haven't been up to scratch, but as I've maintained, a season is 46 games long and over those games he's met his targets. Could he have done better? Yes. However he's assembled a side that can win regularly in front of our home crowd, a 30 goal strike-force and a defence that kept 21 clean sheets in a season. When was the last time we could say that about ourselves?

I'm really excited for the play-offs, and think we've got a great chance as long as we continue to play like we did against Shrewsbury.

greeneagle

✅ Evergreen
Jan 26, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
ninjamissile":14gj2ske said:
X Isle":14gj2ske said:

:clap: :clap:

Sep 6, 2006
Ade the green":7f1w99sn said:
Balham_Green":7f1w99sn said:
Why don't you get your thick head out of the sand and join the real world? I've probably been supporting a lot longer than you, nobody is happier that we scraped in to the play offs and I'd love us to go up though I still can't quite see it. But I won't be convinced Sheridan is the right manager for the club until he's achieved a hell of a lot more and somebody like you making obnoxious comments to try to keep me quiet wont make any difference. Now you go back to your happy clappy world(after one good performance).

Come on The Greens!

30 years is enough time to gain an opinion I believe.

So you don't like being called out! At least you have the chance to reply which is not afforded to our manager!

Join the real world? You've been wishing for Argyle defeats so JS would slope off, I said I'd support JS until the end of the season and we're not done yet. Are we?

It's taken you a full day to acknowledge we had a win yesterday and you have to be ungracious at that. Please, either show my 'obnoxious' posts or complain to the mods and let them decide. What do you mean by someone like me? An oft used insult that is never quite explained.

One good performance? You list our very poor performances and I'll reply with our good performances and we'll see who runs out the quickest.

What are you on about 'wishing for argyle defeats'? Dont make things up! Where is your evidence for that?
Your obnoxious post which you have forgotten is in calling somebody 'miserable' (for the 2nd time) and tellling them to get off the thread because they dont agree with you. I suggest that relates to an earlier post about bullying. Get it?

Nobody is denying there have been good performances this season but they have been few and far between since Christmas, especially for a side with promotion ambitions.

Sep 6, 2006
Daz":2sy38uqn said:
Balham_Green":2sy38uqn said:
Why don't you get your thick head out of the sand and join the real world? I've probably been supporting a lot longer than you, nobody is happier that we scraped in to the play offs and I'd love us to go up though I still can't quite see it. But I won't be convinced Sheridan is the right manager for the club until he's achieved a hell of a lot more and somebody like you making obnoxious comments to try to keep me quiet wont make any difference. Now you go back to your happy clappy world(after one good performance).

Come on The Greens!

You really are a delight aren't you.

I was provoked by that Ade bloke! If he gives it out he needs to take it too!.

Jun 23, 2011
Plymouth
ninjamissile":17fbq8ve said:
X Isle":17fbq8ve said:

Best. Post. Ever.