Credit to Sheridan | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Credit to Sheridan

C

chronicgreen

demportdave":1nu0035y said:
chronicgreen":1nu0035y said:
demportdave":1nu0035y said:
chronicgreen":1nu0035y said:
There'll be no pleasing some on here, regardless of how well our campaign ends.
Every season where we fail to get out of Division 4 will be a failure, no matter how desperately you try to present it as success.

I'm not trying to present anything as success, good to see you though dave, busy after yesterday's match were you? :whistle:
No not really, I had a steady and uneventful drive back from Cheltenham. What about you?

No I wasn't particularly busy, in fact I was on here, as was I last week when things weren't going so well. Win, lose or draw my internet connection seems remarkably unaffected. It's a safe bet that you along with a few other noticeable absentees would've been on here PDQ had we lost 3 - 0 whether you'd been to the match or not.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
chronicgreen":27p1wvhe said:
demportdave":27p1wvhe said:
demportdave":27p1wvhe said:
Every season where we fail to get out of Division 4 will be a failure, no matter how desperately you try to present it as success.

I'm not trying to present anything as success, good to see you though dave, busy after yesterday's match were you? :whistle:
No not really, I had a steady and uneventful drive back from Cheltenham. What about you?

No I wasn't particularly busy, in fact I was on here, as was I last week when things weren't going so well. Win, lose or draw my internet connection seems remarkably unaffected. It's a safe bet that you along with a few other noticeable absentees would've been on here PDQ had we lost 3 - 0 whether you'd been to the match or not.
I think you need to get a life and stop worrying about other people and their internet connection, especially on Saturday evenings.

Jan 27, 2012
Based on crowd size, and hence income, Argyle are one of the biggest clubs in the league. In League Two terms we are probably equivalent to Liverpool in the Premier League. So it should be one of the easier jobs in football mangement to get Argyle out of this league- especially as ther are three automatic promotion spots and four playoff spots up for grabs. Some of clubs in the league are really, really small and amateurish looking. Argyle have realistic potential to go much higher up the pyramid.

Yes, well done to Sheridan for getting the result yesterday and he can be proud of that. Buts it what we damn well expect of him. The bigger picture is that the club are 7th in the bottom league- so its still going to be one of the lowest Argyle finishes in the entire history of the club.

Promotion is a minimum.

S

steveinspain

alex-d":3nymmgym said:
He should get credit for being bold in his selection of the attacking trio of Reid, Alessandra and Banton but in truth setting out with a more positive formation and mentality was something that should have been opted for months ago before we dropped as many points as we have done!
Credit to the fans who gave him a kick up the backside last week.

G

Greenskin

gaspargomez":2nmc1vqo said:
Based on crowd size, and hence income, Argyle are one of the biggest clubs in the league. In League Two terms we are probably equivalent to Liverpool in the Premier League. So it should be one of the easier jobs in football mangement to get Argyle out of this league- especially as ther are three automatic promotion spots and four playoff spots up for grabs. Some of clubs in the league are really, really small and amateurish looking. Argyle have realistic potential to go much higher up the pyramid.

Yes, well done to Sheridan for getting the result yesterday and he can be proud of that. Buts it what we damn well expect of him. The bigger picture is that the club are 7th in the bottom league- so its still going to be one of the lowest Argyle finishes in the entire history of the club.

Promotion is a minimum.

Yes, Argyle are among the bigger crowd pullers in the division and yes,theoretically that means that the greater income should be reflected in terms of the playing budget. But, rightly or wrongly, it isn't. For the umpteenth time, James Brent himself has stated that Argyle are operating on a budget between 7th-9th in the division, which makes the crowd figure an irrelevance as far as saying that "Argyle are the equivalent of Liverpool in this division" is concerned. It has been suggested that this figure may be inaccurate and some doubt has been cast as to how Mr Brent would know this for a fact. In the WMN on Friday, the Yeovil chairman, whose name escapes me, criticised Gary Johnson for his performance this season, stating that he had been provided with the 14th biggest playing budget in the division and that he had been sacked because results had not lived up to the money provided. He was very precise about it-no room for doubt, the 14th biggest budget was clearly stated. Owners/chairman must be getting this information from some reliable source, otherwise why on earth would they put their heads on the blocks in such a specific way? My guess is that clubs must be given access to financial information about competitors in relation to the Fair play regulations and keeping within the "spend as a percentage of turnover" rules-whatever,there definitely seem to be budgetary league tables of some sort being produced. Leaving aside the budget does not necessarily reflect league position argument, which certainly has some validity especially in the short term, there seems to be a perception that Argyle are among the top spenders in the division commensurate with crowds attracted. They aren't-they are between the 7th-9th biggest and almost certainly that relatively low figure would be driven by the need to start to breaking even, a target which is on course to be achieved according to Mr Starnes recently. I'm not arguing against that policy or against your assertion that Argyle can go much further up the pyramid in comparison to most in this division [which is completely correct],just trying to point out some of the current realities that the club and by extension, the manager, are facing.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Greenskin":2odba3iw said:
gaspargomez":2odba3iw said:

Promotion is a minimum.

Yes, Argyle are among the bigger crowd pullers in the division and yes,theoretically that means that the greater income should be reflected in terms of the playing budget. But, rightly or wrongly, it isn't. For the umpteenth time, James Brent himself has stated that Argyle are operating on a budget between 7th-9th in the division, which makes the crowd figure an irrelevance as far as saying that "Argyle are the equivalent of Liverpool in this division" is concerned. It has been suggested that this figure may be inaccurate and some doubt has been cast as to how Mr Brent would know this for a fact. In the WMN on Friday, the Yeovil chairman, whose name escapes me, criticised Gary Johnson for his performance this season, stating that he had been provided with the 14th biggest playing budget in the division and that he had been sacked because results had not lived up to the money provided. He was very precise about it-no room for doubt, the 14th biggest budget was clearly stated. Owners/chairman must be getting this information from some reliable source, otherwise why on earth would they put their heads on the blocks in such a specific way? My guess is that clubs must be given access to financial information about competitors in relation to the Fair play regulations and keeping within the "spend as a percentage of turnover" rules-whatever,there definitely seem to be budgetary league tables of some sort being produced. Leaving aside the budget does not necessarily reflect league position argument, which certainly has some validity especially in the short term, there seems to be a perception that Argyle are among the top spenders in the division commensurate with crowds attracted. They aren't-they are between the 7th-9th biggest and almost certainly that relatively low figure would be driven by the need to start to breaking even, a target which is on course to be achieved according to Mr Starnes recently. I'm not arguing against that policy or against your assertion that Argyle can go much further up the pyramid in comparison to most in this division [which is completely correct],just trying to point out some of the current realities that the club and by extension, the manager, are facing.
Forget the stuff about budget, in pure footballing terms with the players available we should have been serious top 3 contenders, not scrambling for 6/7th.

C

chronicgreen

demportdave":30qsbo4q said:
chronicgreen":30qsbo4q said:

I think you need to get a life and stop worrying about other people and their internet connection, especially on Saturday evenings.

dave, you can skirt around the issue all you like but my question remains, if we had lost 3 - 0 against Cheltenham would you have been on here on Saturday night moaning, groaning and offering your thoroughly unqualified advice to Mr Sheridan?

Sep 28, 2003
London
Are you saying people shouldn't have views if they aren't also football managers?

Surely that means your support of Sheridan is equally worthless - I mean, what do you know?

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
chronicgreen":1svyqi6z said:
Every season where we fail to get out of Division 4 will be a failure, no matter how desperately you try to present it as success.[/quote]

I'm not trying to present anything as success, good to see you though dave, busy after yesterday's match were you? :whistle:[/quote]
No not really, I had a steady and uneventful drive back from Cheltenham. What about you?[/quote]

No I wasn't particularly busy, in fact I was on here, as was I last week when things weren't going so well. Win, lose or draw my internet connection seems remarkably unaffected. It's a safe bet that you along with a few other noticeable absentees would've been on here PDQ had we lost 3 - 0 whether you'd been to the match or not.[/quote]
I think you need to get a life and stop worrying about other people and their internet connection, especially on Saturday evenings.[/quote]

dave, you can skirt around the issue all you like but my question remains, if we had lost 3 - 0 against Cheltenham would you have been on here on Saturday night moaning, groaning and offering your thoroughly unqualified advice to Mr Sheridan?[/quote]
If we had lost 3-0 there would have been an endless queue of people lambasting Sheridan, including me. But we didn't so what is your point?

For the record, you will see that I did post on Saturday night after I got back from Cheltenham.

You appear to be another of those rather silly people who think that the Manager is beyond criticism and cannot be questioned.

In my opinion, Argyle have underperformed again this season, mostly due to the shortcomings of the Manager. Sorry if you don't accept that point of view and think we have no right to question his performance.

I have never been the Prime Minister or even an MP, perhaps you think we should accept everything they say and do without question and not bother with the Election in May.

Jan 27, 2012
Did Brent really say that Argyle's budget is 7th - 9th highest in the league ? I missed that one.

But if that IS the case, WHY when we have large gates for the division (even though they are small by traditional Argyle standards) ? I know there is the football creditor debt and administration debts etc but most of the clubs in this league have debts of one sort or another and without Argyle's income stream.

I find it frustrating because I am sure that an exciting team near the top of the division would see an extra 2-3,000 on the home gates. Surely worth funding a better squad for that reason ?

Why not let some more investors into the board room- its really just a one man dictatorship at the moment (Wrathall's 5% doesn't really count).

C

chronicgreen

Andy Holland":16fefa1t said:
Are you saying people shouldn't have views if they aren't also football managers?

Surely that means your support of Sheridan is equally worthless - I mean, what do you know?

Of course everyone is entitled to have views but they should attempt to keep them reasonably balanced imo. I find it strange how a shower curtain ring salesman, bus driver or green as grass student can state with absolute fact that somebody who has been involved in a profession for practically their entire life as a top level player and fairly successful lower league manager is a totally clueless, dour, uninspiring tactical buffoon who is only here 2 days a week, doesn't train or prepare the players correctly, hates Plymouth and treats Argyle fans like pond life. Surely there can be very few people who know the man well enough to make such sweeping and almost certainly unfounded accusations. Anyway as you say, what do I know? Well I know that I'll continue to support the team and the manager until the end of the season and then make a judgement on whether the players and in particular Sheridan have succeeded or failed, I feel it's the only sensible course of action for a non expert such as myself.

C

chronicgreen

demportdave":3p1a2epq said:
For the record, you will see that I did post on Saturday night after I got back from Cheltenham.

Apologies dave, I missed your post on the brief synopsis thread, I only tend to read the OP as I find it's invariably the most informative and accurate.

I can tell from reading your take on the match that you were struggling to contain your euphoric joy at our victory, GreenArmy1984 would've been proud of that one!

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
chronicgreen":2cbjhk9n said:
Andy Holland":2cbjhk9n said:

Of course everyone is entitled to have views but they should attempt to keep them reasonably balanced imo. I find it strange how a shower curtain ring salesman, bus driver or green as grass student can state with absolute fact that somebody who has been involved in a profession for practically their entire life as a top level player and fairly successful lower league manager is a totally clueless, dour, uninspiring tactical buffoon who is only here 2 days a week, doesn't train or prepare the players correctly, hates Plymouth and treats Argyle fans like pond life. Surely there can be very few people who know the man well enough to make such sweeping and almost certainly unfounded accusations. Anyway as you say, what do I know? Well I know that I'll continue to support the team and the manager until the end of the season and then make a judgement on whether the players and in particular Sheridan have succeeded or failed, I feel it's the only sensible course of action for a non expert such as myself.
So now you are the judge of what is reasonable and balanced?

On what basis are you suitable to make that judgement.

Have you any Professional qualifications and experience?

G

Greenskin

gaspargomez":4rbj8yg3 said:
Did Brent really say that Argyle's budget is 7th - 9th highest in the league ? I missed that one.

But if that IS the case, WHY when we have large gates for the division (even though they are small by traditional Argyle standards) ? I know there is the football creditor debt and administration debts etc but most of the clubs in this league have debts of one sort or another and without Argyle's income stream.

I find it frustrating because I am sure that an exciting team near the top of the division would see an extra 2-3,000 on the home gates. Surely worth funding a better squad for that reason ?

Why not let some more investors into the board room- its really just a one man dictatorship at the moment (Wrathall's 5% doesn't really count).

Yes he did, pretty sure it was at a supporters meeting at Bodmin around about September last year and documented on this site by Green Rhino.

C

chronicgreen

demportdave":3erks891 said:
chronicgreen":3erks891 said:
Andy Holland":3erks891 said:

So now you are the judge of what is reasonable and balanced?

On what basis are you suitable to make that judgement.

Have you any Professional qualifications and experience?

:banghead: Where did I say that? I said "everyone is entitled to have views but they should attempt to keep them reasonably balanced imo." You see those last three little letters dave? They stand for....... in...my...opinion, and unlike some I try not to convey rumour, hearsay, idle gossip or down right s**t stirring as FACT. And if that isn't enough for you i think you'll see if you take the time to read what is written instead of what you want to see that I ended my post by stating that I'm a non expert, others I'm sure will disagree. :thumbup: