Derek Adams has to go. | Page 18 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Derek Adams has to go.

Derek Adams as manager?

• Stay

Votes: 164 43.6%
  • Go

Votes: 166 44.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 46 12.2%

• Total voters
Mar 14, 2009
PL2 3DQ":382eymzi said:
Adams' whole game plan is to score first, sit back, stifle and play on the counter attack.
It has worked very well since he's been our manager.

If the opposition score first the game plan falls apart, the players have a defensive mindset ingrained into them and find it very difficult to chase a game.
We are the only team in all four leagues not to score in the first half of a game so that stat shows we have rarely scored first this season.
We won the only game we did score first.

Adams is similar to Sheridan in that he doesn't have a plan B.

Despite all this he deserves to stay and be given the chance to move us away from the relegation zone.
He's also been hampered by losing so many key players through injury or suspension.

I half agree with you post. We do seem to play better when we have the lead.

The problem is the first half of games. If our game plan was to take the lead why are we so passive and dour to begin with. It's not until we go behind do we see some tactical imagination in Adams system.

Charlton game is a example of our season. First half we should have been at least two down. Then he changes it and with 11 men on the pitch Argyle were the better team. The problem is most times at home we have lost a man, been a goal down and not reacted until the second half. Scunthorpe apart where we did ok for last mins of the first half. Yet Blackpool and MK Dons are examples of games where for the first 15-20 mins of the second half we were the better team. I believe he has shown the ability to have a different game plan for these occasions.

The problem, as you rightly say, is the defensive mindset from the first whistle. The first half of games l wonder why we even bother to watch as fans. We just sit back, never start on the front foot and are lambs to the slaughter. I can't even think of one good 1st half this season apart from a 15 min spell against Scunthorpe.

Adams deserves the chance to keep us up. Although his style of football is negative and dour, he proved it can achieve results. I never thought he could obtain promotion that way. Yet we did. So to say he can't get Argyle out of the would be wrong l fear. He had struggles with Ross County during particular periods but they never got relegated.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Last season we accepted the defensive type of football because it was winning football - if we scored first. 15 of our 26 wins were by a single goal.

This season in League One the opposition has better tactics, clinical strikers and better players. It's better quality all round and Adams' stifling game is struggling to get results at the moment.
Counter attacking football can be exciting and entertaining but not if we are already 2-0 down and had started a game with a defensive mindset.

That's why I can't understand why he played a defensive formation against Doncaster and sat back in the first half. He admitted he changed his formation to match Doncaster. Why? We were at home against a team one point above us.

Apr 5, 2008
Andy Holland":f1jv0kl2 said:
Because he's a tremendously negative and defensive manager, I'm afraid.

Worked away from home last season.Broke the record for away wins at 13.
Amazing how quick people forget that and just turn on the manager.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
When DA was first linked with the manager's role, wasn't he associated with a 'we'll score more than you' mentality ? Or am I thinking of someone els ?.

Dec 22, 2004
Plymouth
GreenArmy1984":14s110u8 said:
Just wish everyone would have patience

Still very early in the season with 37 games to go !!!

COYGs :scarf:

I know I am a negative boy at the moment, but you are amazingly positive in every post. Do you have a secret? If you can bottle it you'll have wealth for life.

Mar 27, 2013
BIDEFORD NORTH DEVON
35 Years Supporting Argyle

Seen plenty of ups and downs over the years

I believe we have the right man to move us up league 1

Last 2 seasons have been exciting with play offs & promotion

This season I knew would be a challenge

Will honestly be happy to Finish 5th From Bottom this season

COYGs :scarf:

Jun 27, 2017
I'm with GreenArmy1984 - maybe we should try getting behind DA and the team.

Calling for his head will achieve very little other than causing ill feeling. I so hope they can turn it around and then I can read some posters from this thread proclaiming how they always knew DA was the man for the job.

Football is a fickle mistress. Due a change in fortunes soon.

Sep 6, 2006
Abacus":2cincksr said:
I'm with GreenArmy1984 - maybe we should try getting behind DA and the team.

Calling for his head will achieve very little other than causing ill feeling. I so hope they can turn it around and then I can read some posters from this thread proclaiming how they always knew DA was the man for the job.

Football is a fickle mistress. Due a change in fortunes soon.

'Get behind the team'. Never thought of that. :facepalm: