Derek Adams has to go. | Page 60 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Derek Adams has to go.

Derek Adams as manager?

• Stay

Votes: 164 43.6%
  • Go

Votes: 166 44.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 46 12.2%

• Total voters
Oct 31, 2015
Greenskin":1puk6p72 said:
rsp4":1puk6p72 said:
HC Green":1puk6p72 said:
rsp4":1puk6p72 said:
Abbotts Ann Green":1puk6p72 said:
Very long way to go and we will lose plenty more games by the end of the season.

What has been most interesting to me has been how so many of the most vociferous posters at the start of this thread seem to have vanished? Must be some kind of black hole.

I have not disappeared into a black hole and still post. As I have said on other threads another 10 game run like the one we are on and I will calm down.

The football has been dire apart from one 45 minute spell against Oldham but the league form does show an improvement.

In reality we are just outside the telegation zone(i didnt even think I would see that let alone by xmas!) with teams below us having games in hand and all fighting for points.

Yes Saturday was really good and DA has us on a strong run but we cannot afford another poor set of results.

I am Green through and through so games like Saturdays fill me with joy but we have not seen many of them have we. Taylor, Toums and I suspect Oscar have made a massive difference but who replaces them when/if they get injured again or worst leave (Toums).

So still here and adamant he should nit be manager but over the moon with Saturdays performance.

What I don’t understand is how people haven’t understood the fact that Adams is the manager and will be until at least his contract expires in 2020.

That fact does seem to have disappeared into a black hole for some.

Fair point mate.

Yes he has a long contract but after the terrible start he is soooo lucky to be still here and the negative tactics are just ahhhhhhhhhh!

For me last season promotion was a bit meh compared to others and that is so wrong. He has a way he plays but coming on the putch not to concede and hold a 1 goal lead if we go in front for me is tedious but others seem happy as long as the points go on the board (I get that!). For me most of the 1st team are better than that.

If he keeps us up it will be a bigger achievement than last season after the head start we gave everyone and i did notice a comment in one of his press interviews about the way league 1 clubs come at you from the kick off. That comment aligned with the players closed door session after Fleetwood means lessons are being learnt.

Keep Toums, Taylor fit, get Oscar back to match form and hope Carey doesnt go missing then with a change in attitude from the manager he may achieve what I thought would be impossible. Long way to go but hey dont we all love supporting the Greens :)

He isn't "lucky to be here". Plenty of managers in Argyle's past have endured terrible starts to seasons and survived and thrived-Argyle lost their first 7 games under Waiters and still got promoted,Smith's team were fairly near the relegation zone until November,Moncur's team had two points from eleven games and finished eighth etc. You could reverse the scenario and argue that if Adams had been sacked,then he would have been unlucky to be a victim of the utterly lunatic impatience culture more and more prevalent within football at the moment, which in a vast majority of cases fails to make a scrap of difference to the longer term fortunes of clubs. If you look around the internet on any given Saturday night then the same sort of stuff directed at Adams during Argyle's start is prevalent at any struggling club-a prime example was the vitriol directed at Lee Johnson at Bristol City last season,which seems to have turned out to be rather stupid in retrospect.Some would say that the bigger picture is that Argyle have a promising young manager with a very good record of success behind him at each of his clubs [in spite of some head in the sand statements to the contrary] and,who knows,in the future it could well be Adams himself who dictates if his stay at the club will be extended or not.Strange too that according to some viewpoints apparently Argyle employed different tactics on Saturday-one up front,two holding midfielders and a back four.Beggared if i could see the difference.

I will answer you all individually.

I think he is very lucky to be here still. 1 x point from 10 games with poor discipline (how many red cards!) would have had most managers walking and I think he should have.

I think you have stretched the truth slightly with regards to Waiters and Smith. Waiters was winning home games and Smiths team did not have as bad a start as DA.

Saturday was very different which you would know because you watch football. The 3 up front was a real 3 up front with Taylor not being isolated by himself. We pressed them for the first 45 put them under pressure including their 3 CBs. Not seen that from a DA team for a while.

I still think the football is dire and DA should have gone. I truly hole he completes the turn around and if he does I will be over the moon

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
He ‘should have’ gone by the short termism and trigger-happy standards of modern football.

By standards of cool headed common sense, loyalty and patience however, entirely the right actions were taken.

Sep 6, 2006
rsp4":11whke5s said:
Greenskin":11whke5s said:
HC Green":11whke5s said:
Abbotts Ann Green":11whke5s said:
Very long way to go and we will lose plenty more games by the end of the season.

What has been most interesting to me has been how so many of the most vociferous posters at the start of this thread seem to have vanished? Must be some kind of black hole.

I have not disappeared into a black hole and still post. As I have said on other threads another 10 game run like the one we are on and I will calm down.

The football has been dire apart from one 45 minute spell against Oldham but the league form does show an improvement.

In reality we are just outside the telegation zone(i didnt even think I would see that let alone by xmas!) with teams below us having games in hand and all fighting for points.

Yes Saturday was really good and DA has us on a strong run but we cannot afford another poor set of results.

I am Green through and through so games like Saturdays fill me with joy but we have not seen many of them have we. Taylor, Toums and I suspect Oscar have made a massive difference but who replaces them when/if they get injured again or worst leave (Toums).

So still here and adamant he should nit be manager but over the moon with Saturdays performance.

What I don’t understand is how people haven’t understood the fact that Adams is the manager and will be until at least his contract expires in 2020.

Fair point mate.

Yes he has a long contract but after the terrible start he is soooo lucky to be still here and the negative tactics are just ahhhhhhhhhh!

For me last season promotion was a bit meh compared to others and that is so wrong. He has a way he plays but coming on the putch not to concede and hold a 1 goal lead if we go in front for me is tedious but others seem happy as long as the points go on the board (I get that!). For me most of the 1st team are better than that.

If he keeps us up it will be a bigger achievement than last season after the head start we gave everyone and i did notice a comment in one of his press interviews about the way league 1 clubs come at you from the kick off. That comment aligned with the players closed door session after Fleetwood means lessons are being learnt.

Keep Toums, Taylor fit, get Oscar back to match form and hope Carey doesnt go missing then with a change in attitude from the manager he may achieve what I thought would be impossible. Long way to go but hey dont we all love supporting the Greens :)

He isn't "lucky to be here". Plenty of managers in Argyle's past have endured terrible starts to seasons and survived and thrived-Argyle lost their first 7 games under Waiters and still got promoted,Smith's team were fairly near the relegation zone until November,Moncur's team had two points from eleven games and finished eighth etc. You could reverse the scenario and argue that if Adams had been sacked,then he would have been unlucky to be a victim of the utterly lunatic impatience culture more and more prevalent within football at the moment, which in a vast majority of cases fails to make a scrap of difference to the longer term fortunes of clubs. If you look around the internet on any given Saturday night then the same sort of stuff directed at Adams during Argyle's start is prevalent at any struggling club-a prime example was the vitriol directed at Lee Johnson at Bristol City last season,which seems to have turned out to be rather stupid in retrospect.Some would say that the bigger picture is that Argyle have a promising young manager with a very good record of success behind him at each of his clubs [in spite of some head in the sand statements to the contrary] and,who knows,in the future it could well be Adams himself who dictates if his stay at the club will be extended or not.Strange too that according to some viewpoints apparently Argyle employed different tactics on Saturday-one up front,two holding midfielders and a back four.Beggared if i could see the difference.

I think he is very lucky to be here still. 1 x point from 10 games with poor discipline (how many red cards!) would have had most managers walking and I think he should have.

I think you have stretched the truth slightly with regards to Waiters and Smith. Waiters was winning home games and Smiths team did not have as bad a start as DA.

Saturday was very different which you would know because you watch football. The 3 up front was a real 3 up front with Taylor not being isolated by himself. We pressed them for the first 45 put them under pressure including their 3 CBs. Not seen that from a DA team for a while.

I still think the football is dire and DA should have gone. I truly hole he completes the turn around and if he does I will be over the moon

Agreed. The counter argument would be if we could play like that on Saturday why hasn't it happened before? Negative tactics and playing in effect a second left back in zGrant has a lot to do with it. Re Greenskin. We hardly 'thrived' under Saxton or Moncur both of whom were fired! 10 games in under Smith must have been very early October and you accept we didn't lose the first 7 games under Waiters?

Oct 31, 2015
Knibbsworth":3flu5cen said:
rsp4":3flu5cen said:
HC Green":3flu5cen said:
rsp4":3flu5cen said:
Abbotts Ann Green":3flu5cen said:

Fair point mate.

How on earth is he "soooooo lucky to be here"? He had a fantastic record before he took the Argyle job of Championship titles and Cup finals in Scotland. His first two seasons at Argyle were characterised by a promotion campaign and Wembley heartbreak, followed by the most dogged and determined promotion campaign you will ever see. Massive revenue making cup ties against Liverpool in the middle, playing in front of 50,000 fans up there and 20,000 in Plymouth.

This season was characterised by an awful start where the players looked lost and vacant, BUT it has been turned around by some startling form which would have had us in automatic promotion contention over the period of a quarter of the season.

You need your head checking if you consider avoiding relegation now as 'achieving the impossible'. The impossible!? What you thought Derek Adams couldn't achieve by game 46 he's done by game 23, and that's get our heads above the water.

Blimey Knibbs sounds like emotion:)

As I previously stated there are few managers who could survive that start (go on name sone who lost so many on the trot and stayed) no matter of their record.

Yes there has been a turn around in form but that still leaves us just outside the relegation zone. We need to maintain this type if run again for 10 matches yet to start winning me over and tge tactics need to be as per Sarurday and not what we have seen all year.

I never siad achieving the impossible. What I said was I didnt see us getting out of the relegation zone at all let alone by xmas and its taken a major run to do that but we are still in the mire at the moment. Teams beliow us have a game in hand which could drop back inro dreaded drop zone (points are more important though) and another bad run due to injuries and suspensions and we are floored.

So I stand by my thoughts that he is lucky to be in a job and I cant stand his dire tactics. Keep the run going and play more lije we did in the first half on Saturday and I may concess he deserves to stay and look after our club

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Balham_Green":2q7c06f6 said:
davie nine":2q7c06f6 said:
Yes we do. I can turn on a live Premier League match and only look up when a goal is scored or there is a controversial incident.

When I’m at Home Park, I watch for the full 90+ minutes preferably when we are winning, of course.

I hope that DA is still with us in 2020 and beyond and I note that the ‘Yes’ vote has crept up to 29%.
So you want to watch negative football for 3 more years?
No!! I hope that, with more experience in English football and with added resources for recruiting when the conference facilities are available, we will see more attacking flare from DA's teams.

However, if the current standard continues, and I don't think that it is as bad as some lead us to believe, I will still have my season ticket in 3 years time. I would suggest that it is more likely that DA will leave because he is 'headhunted' by a higher league team than that he will be sacked.

Who could blame him when he has to tolerate some of the criticism that he has to listen to from fickle supporters?

Perhaps, my tolerance levels are higher than yours but, at least, I do not spend most of my 'Pasoti time', moaning and criticising others who are not as enthusiastic as I am.

Sep 6, 2006
davie nine":2ykrn9w5 said:
Balham_Green":2ykrn9w5 said:
davie nine":2ykrn9w5 said:
Yes we do. I can turn on a live Premier League match and only look up when a goal is scored or there is a controversial incident.

When I’m at Home Park, I watch for the full 90+ minutes preferably when we are winning, of course.

I hope that DA is still with us in 2020 and beyond and I note that the ‘Yes’ vote has crept up to 29%.
No!! I hope that, with more experience in English football and with added resources for recruiting when the conference facilities are available, we will see more attacking flare from DA's teams.

However, if the current standard continues, and I don't think that it is as bad as some lead us to believe, I will still have my season ticket in 3 years time. I would suggest that it is more likely that DA will leave because he is 'headhunted' by a higher league team than that he will be sacked. Who could blame him when he has to tolerate some of the criticisms that he has to listen to from fickle supporters.

Perhaps, my tolerance levels are higher than yours but, at least, I do not spend most of my 'Pasoti time', moaning and criticising others who are not as enthusiastic as I am.

Poor thing being attacked by fans. Must be a first for a football manager. Perhaps he should go to a club where the fans are nicer and never criticise managers. Any suggestions? Modbury under z10s perhaps.

G

Greenskin

rsp4":uodwg4rl said:
Greenskin":uodwg4rl said:
HC Green":uodwg4rl said:
Abbotts Ann Green":uodwg4rl said:

Fair point mate.

So who were the three up front? I do watch football and i watched it on Saturday- certainly wouldn't describe Carey, Lameiras and Tounami as out and out front players.It was Taylor holding the ball up and bringing players into the game that enabled them to break from deeper positions,not that they were starting alongside him-just check out the first two goals and see how deep Tounami and Carey were when they started their runs.As for the Smith/Waiters scenario,maybe terrible [a la Moncur or Saxton] was the wrong word to use but they certainly weren't good starts and there were plenty of people both in the press [Hamblys alarm bells ringing for Waiters] and on the terraces expressing some discontent.

G

Greenskin

For Mr BG;

I was talking about the remainder of the Moncur [1981/82] and Saxton [1979/80] seasons when using the word thrived,which i have a suspicion that you well knew anyway.And talking of facts,which are indeed much preferable to fake news,Saxton was not fired,he left of his own accord to take over at Blackburn Rovers.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Balham_Green":2hvxt2gf said:
davie nine":2hvxt2gf said:
Balham_Green":2hvxt2gf said:
davie nine":2hvxt2gf said:

However, if the current standard continues, and I don't think that it is as bad as some lead us to believe, I will still have my season ticket in 3 years time. I would suggest that it is more likely that DA will leave because he is 'headhunted' by a higher league team than that he will be sacked. Who could blame him when he has to tolerate some of the criticisms that he has to listen to from fickle supporters.

Poor thing being attacked by fans. Must be a first for a football manager. Perhaps he should go to a club where the fans are nicer and never criticise managers. Any suggestions? Modbury under z10s perhaps.
...add pathetic sarcasm to 'moaning and criticism'.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
The 'stays' should have 300 supporters shortly. Pity I can't vote again ;)

That was quick; must have been Balham Green or perhaps not. ;)

Feb 2, 2007
He’s guaranteed to stay until end of season no matter where we finish now. Well done for turning it round, hopefully he and the rest of the management team habe learnt enough about the system and League one to prevent any more disasterous runs of form.

Aug 29, 2008
Let’s just admit it. All of us who voted go are idiots. I for one am now looking forward to next season under Adams. Think it could be a great one.

C

Charles Plym

I voted go . I was wrong . The teams that changed managers are ALL doing worse than us and we still have the pay off money to use in the window

Jul 12, 2016
Semper crudus,speak for yourself.Not all those who voted go are idiots.Nothing has been achieved yet so although pleased with our form at the moment still early days.