Diagouraga (signs 18 month deal with Fleetwood - confirmed) | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Diagouraga (signs 18 month deal with Fleetwood - confirmed)

ping g5

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Dec 20, 2005
German Shepherd":3akn68z0 said:
Why do Argyle have to wait till January to extend his contract ? Can't they do it now coz it would only be a contract extension rather than a transfer ?

it's not just down to Argyle though.. we can offer him a contract now, tomorrow or on the last day of his existing contract. if the fella doesn't sign it, there's not a lot we can do.

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
ping_g5":7z4cng8m said:
German Shepherd":7z4cng8m said:
Why do Argyle have to wait till January to extend his contract ? Can't they do it now coz it would only be a contract extension rather than a transfer ?

it's not just down to Argyle though.. we can offer him a contract now, tomorrow or on the last day of his existing contract. if the fella doesn't sign it, there's not a lot we can do.

Exactly this. Why is it everyone always assumes it's the club's doing when contracts with key players aren't agreed?

Mar 23, 2008
Such an important player, we must keep him and add to the squad with a couple more players of similar quality. I suspect its agent talk to push up his wages as they will know their importance to us.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
He will be a huge loss but who's to say this wasn't the intention all along?

He's a talented player, certainly too good for a relegation dog fight, perhaps him coming here was agreed as a short-term deal to allow him to maintain his fitness and await the big clubs to come knocking in January.

We were lucky to get him even for a short while, he's Championship standard for sure. If he does leave I wish him well, without him I don't know how we would have got to January and still been in the survival race, he's completely changed our team.

Aug 5, 2016
Stranger things have happened than Toums realising he likes Plymouth, likes the characters in the dressing room and feels the objective to stay up is highly achievable. He might know he's better than this, but so does Carey and that didn't stop him from signing.

The only obstruction will be the short term contracts, at 30 years of age he might appreciate a little career security. Would the club be prepared to offer a 2 or 3 year deal I wonder.

Sep 6, 2006
Knibbsworth":3i3xr4pr said:
Stranger things have happened than Toums realising he likes Plymouth, likes the characters in the dressing room and feels the objective to stay up is highly achievable. He might know he's better than this, but so does Carey and that didn't stop him from signing.

The only obstruction will be the short term contracts, at 30 years of age he might appreciate a little career security. Would the club be prepared to offer a 2 or 3 year deal I wonder.

Very naive. You don't think money MIGHT come in to it?

May 21, 2015
Toums if you've got to go away
I don't think I can take the pain
Won't you stay another day
Oh don't leave us alone like this
Don't say it's the final kiss

Toums you know we've come too far now
Just to go and try to throw it all away
Thought I heard you say you love me
That your love was gonna be here to stay
We've only just begun to know you
Diagouraga won't you stay just one more day

Toums if you've got to go away
I don't think I can take the pain
Oh don't leave us alone like this
Don't say it's the final kiss
Won't you stay another dayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Jan 27, 2012
He's too fat and slow for the Championship but is decent at League One level. Argyle should be able to afford to hang onto him- especially as we get the fifth highest home attendances or something. If he goes to another League One club for financial reasons then we can assume Argyle have a League Two standard budget. I expect him to stay.

Aug 17, 2011
London
rsp4":1j83hgwd said:
Toums is a more important signing im January than Carey was in the summer. I fully understand his point of view of stability and wages. Upto PAFC to negotiate as he has proven himself

Yes.. The small upturn in form seemed to correlate with him joining. I think we'd be in with a fighting chance if he stayed along with hopefully a couple of Jan signings.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
gaspargomez":2qdi59ek said:
He's too fat and slow for the Championship but is decent at League One level. Argyle should be able to afford to hang onto him- especially as we get the fifth highest home attendances or something. If he goes to another League One club for financial reasons then we can assume Argyle have a League Two standard budget. I expect him to stay.
Do you ever pay attention to anything anyone else says? Budgets are about far more than just attendances.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
People still seem to think that in the modern game there's a strong link between attendances & budgets, it's just not true. Fleetwood can afford to pay wages far higher than we can with about 1/4 of our attendances, Burton can afford more than Bradford, Bournemouth can afford more than Leeds or Derby etc. 10 years ago, there was a strong link between budgets, attendances and league position, the bigger clubs tended to occupy the higher leagues while the smaller clubs dwelled in the lower leagues. Now that sugar daddy owners, corporate facilities and sponsorship deals have flooded football, things are much more unpredictable and jumbled up. Ticket sales are no longer an accurate marker of a club's financial clout, meaning a clubs 'size' in terms of stadium, history and fan base means a lot less than it used to.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Season tickets alone in a season bring in a good £1,000,000 a season.

The other couple thousand that pay each home game add some £500,000 on top.

I’d say that is massively important and meaningful compared to other clubs who only pull in 2-3k a home match.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Tugboat":sdrsqgkz said:
Season tickets alone in a season bring in a good £1,000,000 a season.

The other couple thousand that pay each home game add some £500,000 on top.

I’d say that is massively important and meaningful compared to other clubs who only pull in 2-3k a home match.

Clubs who only pull in 2-3k are supplemented by richer owners who are prepared to stake the club, Fleetwood are a prime example, they have far, far more financial clout than us despite the club being probably less than a 1/4 of the size. Getting large attendances does not put us ahead of these clubs, our league position and our lack of paying transfer fees proves that. Geography is a problem as well of course, sadly players are more likely to be attracted to dumps on the outskirts of London, or towns close to Manchester/Liverpool etc rather than Plymouth.

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
... and would you rather be solely in the hands of a cash rich oligarch, whose whims (and financial commitment) may ebb and flow?

No, for me at least it must be a club that represents the heart and spirit of the community, not the wallet and ego of a "small fish in a small pond" entrepreneurial benefactor.

Hopefully we are not there at the moment.