Do you want James Brent to continue as Chairman/Owner? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Do you want James Brent to continue as Chairman/Owner?

Do you want JB to continue as Chairman/Owner

• Yes

Votes: 168 75.7%
  • NO

Votes: 54 24.3%

• Total voters

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
It seems the lack of progress/halt of the HHP development and grandstand is being used by some fans and groups to beat up JB, which is fair enough, as long as credit is given when other areas at the club have seen improvements.

When James Brent took over he said he is not a sugar daddy and the club would eventually have to sustain itself, except now that the club is no longer in danger some fans are not happy with the prospect of sustainability and living within our means.

As it is, JB is propping up the club with loans, this allows Sheridan to sign a good pedigree of player, some like Hartley, Cox, Reid, Mellor and McHugh have been signed from teams in a higher league, plus the fees involved for the many loan signings. Seven of the squad have already won promotion from L2, they don't come cheap.

It's far better for the club to take a loan from a fan or PCC rather than from some financial institution.

Off the pitch the financial situation is getting better, the losses have been reduced from £2.24m to £1.46m in a little over a year with a breakeven figure expected soon.

If fans and organisations are going to continually criticise JB on the lack of a new grandstand and HHP development at least acknowledge the progress in other areas such as off the pitch with the improved financial situation and on the pitch the signing of good players and an improvement in the league position.
We paid a transfer fee in the last January transfer window and were prepared to pay a fee for O'Connor in this window, that is progress in itself.

It's not the fault of JB that we didn't win against Morecambe or that Bobby Reid took the corners yesterday or that Flanagan ended playing as a midfielder.

Apr 30, 2011
For anyone who has answered 'No', could you name another person or alternative ownership structure to replace JB?

He ain't perfect but he has kept the club going. He has implemented long term plans to reduce debt. He has appointed a manager with experience of success in lower leagues and provided a budget for a squad which should be capable of challenging for promotion. What more can he realistically do?

Even if he doesn't chop JS if we miss out on the play-offs, he is still the only option. His financial success is localised - he needs Plymouth (the city) to flourish to protect his other investments and projects. Part of that is having a successful Argyle so, I can only ever see him wanting what is best for the club as that is what is going to best for him. Complete opposite of the 'New World'.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Mediocre owner for a mediocre fan base supporting mediocre football in a mediocre league. Lets us live a long life yo-yoing between 7th and 12th in the basement division :scarf:

The acceptance of this crap is very depressing. Brent and Sheridan should be fearing fan revolt if they fail to achieve what we expect of them, however the expectations of Brent seem to be no more than keep the club on life-support - therefore there's no real strive and purpose to make anything of this football club.

It's all good though, he attends games and loves it. Ugh.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
spowell92":1jf81cka said:
Mediocre owner for a mediocre fan base supporting mediocre football in a mediocre league. Lets us live a long life yo-yoing between 7th and 12th in the basement division :scarf:

The acceptance of this crap is very depressing. Brent and Sheridan should be fearing fan revolt if they fail to achieve what we expect of them, however the expectations of Brent seem to be no more than keep the club on life-support - therefore there's no real strive and purpose to make anything of this football club.

Doesn't look like the "fan revolt" is going to consist of much going by the poll so far!

IPA

Aug 26, 2012
The 'real' capital of Devon
WTF has he done wrong?

Can't believe the knives are out for the man who saved us from extinction.

JB doesn't pick the team or employ the bizarre tactics that are holding the team back on the field.

Apr 30, 2011
spowell92":ypj5xrib said:

When the debt is cleared, we will have a bigger budget which can be used to replace an under performing manager or improving the squad, for example.

Feb 25, 2011
Saltash
Are we still losing money then, even given our current playing budget?

Surely we should be living within our means by now, not adding even more to our sizeable debts?!

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Get rid ASAP!!!

I don't want a chairman who wants our club to be run on sound financial footing, I wanted us plunged back into administration within 2 years. All this "within our means" clap trap is keeping us afloat and slowly but surely sorting out our debt issues, what an utter travesty that could all turn out to be if we ended up paying off the previous regime's debts and ensured all of the money coming through our gates was spent on the club itself, FLIP THAT!!!

I want to see this club rudderless, I want it run with no sense of direction. Targeting the Championship football over the next few years is far too realistic for me, what I want to see is us targeting vague "more ambitious" goals that sound nice when posted by people on here. Who needs sustainable Championship football as a target when we can aim for "far more" or "what we deserve", they are surely more achievable visions for our club

I also don't hand my money over to this football club to see it spent on the playing staff and James Brent saying yes to all of Sheridan's targets is ensuring that is happening, what an utter disgrace that is. We actually offered money for one of our best loan players this month, what is all of that nonsense about imagine if the player had signed permanently for us; my hard-earned spent on a player really Brent, really?!?

You know what I want, I want one of those nightmare chairmen who sack their manager on a bi-weekly basis. None of this stability at the helm nonsense, a weekly ride on the manager merry-go-round would have sufficed. 3 years for a man most of us begged you to keep on after keeping us up, get real MR BRENT!!!

I didn't want plans for the grandstand or talks to be held with the Council to sort out the looming balloon payment, we would have been fine! We don't need no grandstand, we got to the Championship before and staying there financially crippled us, as I said before I didn't sign up for financial stability.

Feel free to add any more utter atrocities this man has unleashed on our football club as you see fit, the sooner people realise this man is a wrong'un the sooner we can get someone else in, someone with no name but would be far better than Brent in every other way but the fact that he/she probably won't be real, other than that though...

Brent Out!!! Imaginary White Knight IN!!! :scarf:

Aug 30, 2006
Sheffield
Some people have very short memories &/or an acute lack of brain cells.
JB is struggling to make things happen yes but I have no doubt he has the best interests of the club at heart.
Maybe some people sharpening their knives are thinking Vincent Tan is getting fed up with Cardiff or Oyston is ready to shift his money from Blackpool perhaps HP can become the real Sports Direct stadium with Ashley appointing Wise & Kinnear to run things. It could be Randy Lerner is biding his time until someone takes Villa off his hands so he can take over. Many on here like stripes, so the idea of Plymouth Tigers might appeal don't you think?
JB isn't perfect but I'd rather have him at the helm than some self-opinionated maniac millionaire who has no idea that Argyle is a special club.
The idea that there is a queue of billionaires with integrity living in that tax haven known as Lala land with millions to squander just waiting to move in the minute the Bretonside complex goes ahead is crazy. Anybody who believes it is a deluded airhead

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Ollieargyle9":ivy3oack said:
Get rid ASAP!!!

I don't want a chairman who wants our club to be run on sound financial footing, I wanted us plunged back into administration within 2 years. All this "within our means" clap trap is keeping us afloat and slowly but surely sorting out our debt issues, what an utter travesty that could all turn out to be if we ended up paying off the previous regime's debts and ensured all of the money coming through our gates was spent on the club itself, FLIP THAT!!!

I want to see this club rudderless, I want it run with no sense of direction. Targeting the Championship football over the next few years is far too realistic for me, what I want to see is us targeting vague "more ambitious" goals that sound nice when posted by people on here. Who needs sustainable Championship football as a target when we can aim for "far more" or "what we deserve", they are surely more achievable visions for our club

I also don't hand my money over to this football club to see it spent on the playing staff and James Brent saying yes to all of Sheridan's targets is ensuring that is happening, what an utter disgrace that is. We actually offered money for one of our best loan players this month, what is all of that nonsense about imagine if the player had signed permanently for us; my hard-earned spent on a player really Brent, really?!?

You know what I want, I want one of those nightmare chairmen who sack their manager on a bi-weekly basis. None of this stability at the helm nonsense, a weekly ride on the manager merry-go-round would have sufficed. 3 years for a man most of us begged you to keep on after keeping us up, get real MR BRENT!!!

I didn't want plans for the grandstand or talks to be held with the Council to sort out the looming balloon payment, we would have been fine! We don't need no grandstand, we got to the Championship before and staying there financially crippled us, as I said before I didn't sign up for financial stability.

Feel free to add any more utter atrocities this man has unleashed on our football club as you see fit, the sooner people realise this man is a wrong'un the sooner we can get someone else in, someone with no name but would be far better than Brent in every other way but the fact that he/she probably won't be real, other than that though...

Is that a 'white knight' or a 'white ant'? We need to know!!

Glad to see such a thread, A) It somewhat pees on Chancellor's chips and B) Perhaps it'll go some way to put a certain sad obsessive off the idea that JB owns or part owns any of this website.

I would remind most of you reading this, the poll was requested by a member and a poll was created for that reason.

May 5, 2006
A lifelong Argyle fan who just happens to be a billionaire is what we need. But we haven't found one yet. We can keep looking, but until he / she appears Mr Brent is as good as anyone else.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Ollieargyle9":g04awo6g said:
Get rid ASAP!!!

Hear Hear Big O, I wish we could get Oyston from Blackpool, a real diamond geezer who could teach us all the right way to run a successful football club, James Brent, how on earth did we get lumbered with a decent, honourable owner who made no pretence to be a sugar daddy, who could only offer financial stability and a decent playing budget, just unlucky I guess or another aspect of the "Argyle Curse". :greensmile: