EFL TROPHY? | Page 11 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

EFL TROPHY?

Sep 25, 2010
Looking at it from a football point of view, this game is important.

As we do not run a reserve team, or play in a good standard Reserve League.

DA can give other members of the squad important game time. Like Tanner, Goodwillie, Fox, Dorel or McCallum, Slew,Ijaha, and perhaps Osbourne. Without weakening the team

So this game has come at a good time, it may be a mickey mouse tournament, but better than a mickey mouse reserve league.

Sep 25, 2010
PAFC94":1xj08lxp said:
CornishGreenWhite":1xj08lxp said:
Shame on JB & shame on anyone that goes tomorrow.

BOYCOTT.

:iagree:

Totally disagree, it gives DA, much needed game time for the main players who are not in the starting 11, as we do not play in a reserve league.

Let treat it as such, not a protest against the competition.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
My brief thoughts (already expressed on the attendance prediction thread)

'Not going--normally I would. This competition is a Trojan Horse and before we know it we will be playing Prem. League B teams on regular basis, fantastic for them and their bloated squads, and of course they will eventually dominate the lower leagues as we know them. Do I want Argyle stuck in a 4th tier division (or lower) for ever? No Thanks! I'm desperate to make my first home match of the season --- but it can wait.'

Mar 8, 2016
Martyn":1q2469bf said:

DA can give other members of the squad important game time. Like Tanner, Goodwillie, Fox, Dorel or McCallum, Slew,Ijaha, and perhaps Osbourne. Without weakening the team

So this game has come at a good time, it may be a mickey mouse tournament, but better than a mickey mouse reserve league.

This is a valid point you make however this goes beyond giving fringe players good competitive game time, the old format was good for that, we can't support the idea of b teams in my opinion. Also we can't guarantee Adams will use this fixture in such a way, I think argyle will incur a fine if to many changes are made?

C

CornishGreenWhite

Army green":2mz9efs1 said:
Martyn":2mz9efs1 said:

This is a valid point you make however this goes beyond giving fringe players good competitive game time, the old format was good for that, we can't support the idea of b teams in my opinion. Also we can't guarantee Adams will use this fixture in such a way, I think argyle will incur a fine if to many changes are made?

I believe you have to play 5 players that featured in your previous match or will feature in the next match.

It's an absolute farce that we're forced to abide by such rules yet there are f*cking u23 teams competing!

Boycott this poo and hopefully this will be the last we ever here about it.

Keepitgreen

šŸ‡°šŸ‡Ŗ Welicar Donor
ā™£ļø PACSA Member
ā™£ļø Senior Greens
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Army green":2ebc7jxd said:
Martyn":2ebc7jxd said:

Adams discusses the criteria in the Herald today. He has to play 5 that played last Saturday OR 5 that will play next Saturday OR 5 players that have made the most appearances this season. So I don't think there's any danger that he'd do anything to incur a fine.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Can just imagine the training ground this morning....

"anyone fancy a kick about tonight? You can go home early to get ready, shame we're playing 2 goalkeepers and the rest are defenders.... No Louis, you're not playing."

May 22, 2006
Suggest that the starting 11 includes five players needed to keep EFL happy and then make all our subs after 2 mins to allow others to play, and protect the regulars from injury and yellow/red cards.

If we then get injuries and have to play with less than eleven players, so be it.

Mar 8, 2009
Hampshire
The three lowest home attendances since HP was redeveloped were all in this competition - 2,383 and 2,590 under Fletcher and 2,668 under Sheridan. Think this one will get under 2,000.

cheshiregreen

āœ… Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Ade the green":2aaon2vg said:
Can just imagine the training ground this morning....

"anyone fancy a kick about tonight? You can go home early to get ready, shame we're playing 2 goalkeepers and the rest are defenders.... No Louis, you're not playing."

Rooney is with Northern Ireland squad isn't he?

Dec 21, 2010
At itā€™s meeting last Saturday the AFT Board discussed the merits of the new English Football League Trophy, or Checkatrade Trophy as it has since been called. It is our unanimous view that this reinvention of what was the Johnstoneā€™s Paint Trophy. We believe the competition to be inherently flawed for the following reasons:
ā€¢ In its previous incarnations as the Freight Rover, Sherpa Van, Leyland DAF, Auto Windscreens and LDV Vans Trophy the early rounds have been very poorly attended. The logic in changing these early rounds into Group Matches makes no sense.
ā€¢ The idea of the competition being regionalised in the group stages does not hold water with Argyle drawn against two Welsh clubs and a London team.
ā€¢ The involvement of academy teams could be seen as a precedent being set for allowing Premiership second teams into the football League structure, which is their intention. It is interesting to note though that some top clubs such as Manchester United have chosen not to take part.
ā€¢ One of the main planks of this Trophy was that it gave the little team a chance to enjoy its day at Wembley. The introduction of Premiership teams can only reduce that opportunity.
ā€¢ Lower league teams will now have to play more games, but will not be allowed to rotate their squads, even if their pool of players is large enough. This comes against the backdrop of a suggested new five division structure for the Football League, which uses the argument that we are already playing too many games.
While the AFT is not necessarily advocating a boycott of these matches, we have little faith in its current format. There are only so many times you can try and breathe life into a dying entity. If this latest embodiment of the Trophy is not successful, perhaps it is time to let it wither on the vine?

Mark Colling

ā™£ļø PASTA Member
Sep 23, 2003
Brizzle
www.groupspaces.com
Emeraldinho":10y92ild said:
Earth-shattering stuff! Or, in other words, a statement of the bleddy obvious.
Don't give it more credit that it deserves, it seriously underplays the threat of B-Teams being allowed into the league, makes no meaningful reference at all to the #BTeamBoycott being strongly advocated by other trusts and, don't get me started on "little clubs" ...

:furious: