EFL TROPHY? | Page 13 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

EFL TROPHY?

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Well done to the football supporters of other clubs for turning their back on this competition. Was hopeful that our fanbase would sacrifice this fixture too, but with our (comparatively) high crowd it seems that people in Plymouth just aren't all that exercised by the thought of the premier league parachuting it's reserve teams into league football bit by bit.

May 8, 2011
up_the_line":26okt2a2 said:
Well done to the football supporters of other clubs for turning their back on this competition. Was hopeful that our fanbase would sacrifice this fixture too, but with our (comparatively) high crowd it seems that people in Plymouth just aren't all that exercised by the thought of the premier league parachuting it's reserve teams into league football bit by bit.

B teams coming into the football league seems to becoming one of those urban myths when if something no matter how ridiculous is said often enough people start believing it.

In the proposal by the EFL to go to 80 teams the 8 additional teams are from the National League.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
HC Green":2qcsizbp said:
up_the_line":2qcsizbp said:

B teams coming into the football league seems to becoming one of those urban myths when if something no matter how ridiculous is said often enough people start believing it.

In the proposal by the EFL to go to 80 teams the 8 additional teams are from the National League.
The initial proposals that were put forward mentioned squads being able to have less players because they were playing less games whilst also increasing the importance of reserve team football. The two don't go together unless it's involving B teams

Mark Colling

♣️ PASTA Member
Sep 23, 2003
Brizzle
www.groupspaces.com
HC Green":mo7k5gj4 said:
up_the_line":mo7k5gj4 said:

It's not an urban myth though; when expanding the league was initially proposed two years ago, it was specifically, to parachute B-Teams in to "League Three" (see here) - and this week's Telegraph article discussed inviting Celtic and Rangers. See also this article that "has also left the door open for Premier League B teams to join the professional ladder"

I remain to be convinced that reducing the football league divisions to 20 teams is the answer to any meaningful question but if it is, the National League is the ONLY place new teams should come from. My very strong view is that we should offer no encouragement at all to any alternative.

There is, I suspect, more of an argument for the Premier League reducing to 18 (or even 16 clubs) but that doesn't appear to be on the table because guess whose pockets that would come out of?

Plenty more here if you want to read more

Everyone has to make their own mind up but I strongly believe that boycotting all competitions involving B-Teams is essential to ensure the authorities get the message loud and clear.

I accept that change is needed but perhaps the league/clubs could explain what their issues/aims are and consult with the fans in a considered manner rather than impose an ill thought out farce such as this current shambles.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
HC Green":1xf3eh31 said:
up_the_line":1xf3eh31 said:

It's no urban myth. It was an official proposal by the FA to parachute B teams into a new League Three https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...mission-greg-dyke-league-three-non-eu-players

Two years after that proposal, Premier League B teams join the competition for League 1 and 2 clubs and people don't think it's a trial or the thin end of the wedge?

EDIT: I see Mark has got there first!

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
If a club has a "competitive" B Team in League 2, how would the financial fair play rules apply? As they are not a standalone entity, how would wages and turnover be identified for the B Team to comply with the 55% rule.

Where would the support base for the B Team come from? Surely they would all be watching the main squad play (either in person or on TV?)

I see far too many obstacles in the way to this becoming a reality?

Apr 12, 2016
Essentially EPL sides have large squads with some players getting little or no playing time plus promising youth players. The 'B' side would give these players, some of whom are paid sizeable salaries, regular competitive action,much more than they are getting now. The players from these sides can be moved up to the first team when appropriate. The 'B' teams would probably play at smaller local stadiums e.g. Liverpool at Widnes so atmosphere and overuse of pitch not an issue.
As for FFP and other associated rules when this all happens I would imagine you would see many or the current rules amended to suit the EPL. Money talks and all that.
I noted that some bloke from the EFL said they agreed to the revamp because the prize money this year was significantly higher than previous seasons. Essentially each club will get a minimum of £10k whereas last year a number didn't even get £5k. This leads me to think that the EFL and all the chairmen involved will agree to future changes and potential increased 'B' side involvement simply because there is some cash waved in their face.

Jun 19, 2006
Somewhere or other
My view is that I don't believe in boycotting games because it takes money away from the club, that said I can't get to many games at the moment so I wasn't there....

I don't like the decision to add the U23 teams...for the record

But as I'm getting older I'm not letting petty things out of my control get on top of me, so I'll continue to support Argyle, in whatever competition they are in....every game!

What I don't like is the bullying, let people have their opinion without ridiculing them

Trev501

🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
Brickfields Donor
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 3, 2006
Dolores (Alicante) Spain
green eyed monster":2zpyb9c2 said:
My view is that I don't believe in boycotting games because it takes money away from the club, that said I can't get to many games at the moment so I wasn't there....

But as I'm getting older I'm not letting petty things out of my control get on top of me, so I'll continue to support Argyle, in whatever competition they are in....every game!

What I don't like is the bullying, let people have their opinion without ridiculing them
I'm with you :thumbup: And a thoroughly enjoyable game it was too.

Nov 4, 2012
green eyed monster":11pynmit said:

It's not a petty thing though, B teams in the football league would be a tragedy and it can be in our control but only if the fans are united in a common goal against the greedy b@stards pushing their B team agenda.

Mark Colling

♣️ PASTA Member
Sep 23, 2003
Brizzle
www.groupspaces.com
Compare and contrast:
- Luton have been fined for giving five young English players their debuts
- Leicester City u23s included a 29yo Tunisian and a 36yo Pole

Does anyone believe the changes are to help develop young English talent?

A

Anonymous

To call them u23 sides is a joke. Plenty of clubs had players far older. They are ressie sides to give a game to the multiple average foreign players brought over by these clubs via their inept spending of Sky and BT money.

As far as boycotting goes, I was initially in favour but as has been said, it only hurts the club. I am pretty sure the powers that be know it and make these decisions based on the fact they know eventually we will realise this and turn up.

For me, this is the beginning of the erosion of the football league pyramid which is unique to this country. The loan rule enforced by FIFA and unchallenged by the FA, is there to stop Chelsea loaning 30 odd players out per season. But with all these things, it doesn't effect them at all and will the clubs below the Championship.

bodspafc

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Aug 8, 2005
Bristol
Boycotting the game does hurt the club, but as we were one of the clubs voting in favour of the changes (to allow the U23 teams in)....maybe a boycott is what was needed? Let the club know you're not happy and then maybe they will vote against the changes at the next meeting.

Apr 12, 2016
bodspafc":1i58kx15 said:
Boycotting the game does hurt the club, but as we were one of the clubs voting in favour of the changes (to allow the U23 teams in)....maybe a boycott is what was needed? Let the club know you're not happy and then maybe they will vote against the changes at the next meeting.

I agree. A toddler eventually learns not to walk into furniture because it hurts each time it does it.

By attending you are ultimately in effect endorsing it even if you don't like the changes. The authorities will only look at 'bums on seats' figures and not whether you may be uneasy about it.

Nov 4, 2012
Fortunately fans of other clubs seem to have more sense than ours looking at the attendances. Hopefully the message will have got across.