Exeter City Yes or No | Page 16 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Exeter City Yes or No

Feb 25, 2007
St Blazey
Got to hope Exeter win. The Plymouth public won't be scrambling for tickets for Blackpool at home. So it's either 7500 against Blackpool or 15000 against Exeter. No brainer.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
It's a win win either way.

If they come up, good revenue for the club.

If they stay down, it'll be hilarious.

Feb 25, 2007
St Blazey
You can't beat a local derby. People do not come out the woodwork for any other fixture. Both clubs need those fixtures to keep the season burning if......one club or both are not in for a promotion push.

May 22, 2006
Am I right in remembering that before Christmas Exeter were so fed up with Tisdale that he was 'sacked'? As he was on a one year rolling contract, he's now working his notice period. In theory, he could get Exeter promoted but still be out of a job in a couple of months time.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
pastiesforlife":3c0kmdmu said:
Am I right in remembering that before Christmas Exeter were so fed up with Tisdale that he was 'sacked'? As he was on a one year rolling contract, he's now working his notice period. In theory, he could get Exeter promoted but still be out of a job in a couple of months time.
It was a two year rolling contract, but yes. It expires November 2018.

Mar 14, 2009
I think you misunderstood, MM. l was saying that history has told us we are a solid league 1 side. When we'll run, Argyle have always got out of the basement division. However, when in the championship, even when we did well under Holloway, we couldn't sustain it. We didn't have the financial muscle to keep hold of our better players. We then get relegated because we can't compete. It's not me saying this. History tells you this. Brent says we are a suistainable L1 club, but we need the new Grandstand to even compete in the championship. Even if we get this, like l said with the mega rich clubs chairman in the championship we have very little chance of competing, until we get one ourselves. Barnsley are a perfect example. They have similar attendances. They don't have a mega rich chairman. As soon as they do well their best players get pinched, like Hourihane, and they are back to square one.

I'm surprised by you MM then you find it hard to say Portsmouth won the league. Doesn't matter it was by goal difference. They won it, and finished above us. The fact your struggling to say it makes me wander if you are just blinded by anything Argyle related. At least when l was wrong I admitted it.

I was banging on (as you put it) that Portsmouth and Exeter were good sides earlier this year, not because l like them, but because actually Portsmouth and Exeter have proven they are actually good sides this year. You do know it's OK to say other teams are good, and not just Argyle.

So this isn't me making things up. History tells us what our place was in the football pyramid. Financial implications tells us realistically what we can expect, unless we get a sugar daddy. Brighton wouldn't be in the premier league if it wasn't for Tony Bloom pumping tens of millions into their club.

You might not like it. It's just being realistic. Yet the cold hard facts stat that Argyle need their own "Tony Bloom" to have any chance of completing in the championship. Even when you have the right money men in charge you then need them to appoint the right manager. How many times does this go wrong?

So it's hardly a terrible thing to say Argyle at present would at best be a top League 1/lower tier championship side under current financial circumstances?

Btw, the discussion we are having now, is the same type of discussion l had with people on here last time we were in league 1 under Sturrock. People kept saying we are doing well. Every year for 7 years we kept improving but, like l said then, as I do now as soon as you get to the championship we will struggle. Stapleton at the time was very much liked, as Brent is now. Stapleton sold us down the river because he knew he didn't have the financial capabilities to take us further. Whilst l believe Brent won't do this, you can never be 100% sure. However, he doesn't have the money either, just like Stapleton didn't to compete beyond L1.. The grandstand being built is fantastic news. Yet it won't be enough to compete at that level against relegated PL teams with 3 years of parachute payments or chairman who are worth hundreds of millions of pounds. People said back them the same thing as people do now.

It's nice to dream. Eventually you have to wake up to the reality you live in. That's why going back to Exeter, when their fans call for Tisdales head it's laughable because of how he builds a side, the quality of football they play on a shoestring budget. Now, going to Wembley, it's all swept under the carpet.

It's not just here, it's Exeweb, and many other football supporting websites where fans just don't live in the real world.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
Metal_Green_Mickey":1i3snwnc said:
I think you misunderstood, MM. l was saying that history has told us we are a solid league 1 side. When we'll run, Argyle have always got out of the basement division. However, when in the championship, even when we did well under Holloway, we couldn't sustain it. We didn't have the financial muscle to keep hold of our better players. We then get relegated because we can't compete. It's not me saying this. History tells you this. Brent says we are a suistainable L1 club, but we need the new Grandstand to even compete in the championship. Even if we get this, like l said with the mega rich clubs chairman in the championship we have very little chance of competing, until we get one ourselves. Barnsley are a perfect example. They have similar attendances. They don't have a mega rich chairman. As soon as they do well their best players get pinched, like Hourihane, and they are back to square one.

I'm surprised by you MM then you find it hard to say Portsmouth won the league. Doesn't matter it was by goal difference. They won it, and finished above us. The fact your struggling to say it makes me wander if you are just blinded by anything Argyle related. At least when l was wrong I admitted it.

I was banging on (as you put it) that Portsmouth and Exeter were good sides earlier this year, not because l like them, but because actually Portsmouth and Exeter have proven they are actually good sides this year. You do know it's OK to say other teams are good, and not just Argyle.

So this isn't me making things up. History tells us what our place was in the football pyramid. Financial implications tells us realistically what we can expect, unless we get a sugar daddy. Brighton wouldn't be in the premier league if it wasn't for Tony Bloom pumping tens of millions into their club.

You might not like it. It's just being realistic. Yet the cold hard facts stat that Argyle need their own "Tony Bloom" to have any chance of completing in the championship. Even when you have the right money men in charge you then need them to appoint the right manager. How many times does this go wrong?

So it's hardly a terrible thing to say Argyle at present would at best be a top League 1/lower tier championship side under current financial circumstances?

Btw, the discussion we are having now, is the same type of discussion l had with people on here last time we were in league 1 under Sturrock. People kept saying we are doing well. Every year for 7 years we kept improving but, like l said then, as I do now as soon as you get to the championship we will struggle. Stapleton at the time was very much liked, as Brent is now. Stapleton sold us down the river because he knew he didn't have the financial capabilities to take us further. Whilst l believe Brent won't do this, you can never be 100% sure. However, he doesn't have the money either, just like Stapleton didn't to compete beyond L1.. The grandstand being built is fantastic news. Yet it won't be enough to compete at that level against relegated PL teams with 3 years of parachute payments or chairman who are worth hundreds of millions of pounds. People said back them the same thing as people do now.

It's nice to dream. Eventually you have to wake up to the reality you live in. That's why going back to Exeter, when their fans call for Tisdales head it's laughable because of how he builds a side, the quality of football they play on a shoestring budget. Now, going to Wembley, it's all swept under the carpet.

It's not just here, it's Exeweb, and many other football supporting websites where fans just don't live in the real world.

FFS , get off your soapbox , people come on pasoti for a discussion not a sermon .

Memo to self : Make sure to ignore posters i have on ignore list .

Mar 14, 2009
So DA as you don't agree it then becomes a sermon? Wow...ok...thought it was my opinion...eg part of discussion....

Oh and lm sorry you didn't press your ignore button to read something you obviously didn't want to read lol....even though you then read it....brilliant :thumbs:

Sep 6, 2006
Metal_Green_Mickey":2h6np5xn said:
So DA as you don't agree it then becomes a sermon? Wow...ok...thought it was my opinion...eg part of discussion....

Oh and lm sorry you didn't press your ignore button to read something you obviously didn't want to read lol....even though you then read it....brilliant :thumbs:

It is a sermon cos its so bl*ddy long like all your posts!

May 16, 2016
So the OP was about Exeter going up being a good thing or not as far as our support is concerned. Well, in terms of bums on seats of course it is, or is it ?

Not my thought, but looking back to our Championship days, some might say yes or then again no. Did we compete against the big (their words) Clubs of that time. Well, let me tell you that some of them played better than us but didn win but on other days could well have, or should they.

I recall Paul Dalton taking a throw that wasn't picked up by Mickey Evans, allowing Bradford or maybe Millwall before the clean up, to go straight down the other end and win a corner. Why is this you may ask, well it's because we didn't play 3 up front.

Now I'm not saying we should spend money someone else doesn't have on trying to get to the top flight because we know that historically that we wont. Time has shown that we will be at best a lower chamionship club or maybe not. There was one game (Barnet) where Jake Jervis had time for a cut back but didn't take the chance to perhaps put us ahead.

So what do we learn from this, well let me say that Derek Adams needs to find tactics that work better or not. When you consider the job Tisdale has done, you may say, well done or possibly ok.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Guiri Green":2ib2memd said:
So the OP was about Exeter going up being a good thing or not as far as our support is concerned. Well, in terms of bums on seats of course it is, or is it ?

Not my thought, but looking back to our Championship days, some might say yes or then again no. Did we compete against the big (their words) Clubs of that time. Well, let me tell you that some of them played better than us but didn win but on other days could well have, or should they.

I recall Paul Dalton taking a throw that wasn't picked up by Mickey Evans, allowing Bradford or maybe Millwall before the clean up, to go straight down the other end and win a corner. Why is this you may ask, well it's because we didn't play 3 up front.

Now I'm not saying we should spend money someone else doesn't have on trying to get to the top flight because we know that historically that we wont. Time has shown that we will be at best a lower chamionship club or maybe not. There was one game (Barnet) where Jake Jervis had time for a cut back but didn't take the chance to perhaps put us ahead.

Stanley Unwin lives. :twisted:

So what do we learn from this, well let me say that Derek Adams needs to find tactics that work better or not. When you consider the job Tisdale has done, you may say, well done or possibly ok.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Metal_Green_Mickey":3h2ywcmb said:

Firstly, when a James Brent spoke about sustainability he said (paraphrasing as I don't have the exact quote), "Argyle have become sustainable. We have too accept that at some point we will not be self sustaining but we are not there yet. League 1 and lower championship are within our financial ability now". Whether this is expectant on the new grandstand with new revenue streams he hasn't elaborated but he does say now.

Whether anyone believes we came second or find it hard to accept not coming first is irrelevant. In the context, we were second by goal difference whereas just one more goal against Grimsby would have made the GD a pointless execise. Bottom line is that after two failed play off attempts we've done what was necessary. Interesting point, in Exwebber today someone mentioned having to go to Wembley next week as opposed to us not. Just to be absolutely clear, we don't need to go to Wembley next week as our players are on holiday and our manager knows what league we're playing at next year thank you very much. Come on Blackpool BTW.

You said it's okay to say how good both Exeter and Portsmouth were last season, what about Blackpool or any other club that managed to string two victories together, why not shout out about Doncaster leading the league for 90% of the season. You then say 'as well as Argyle'. Well I gave you three or four chances before you mention Argyle as being anything but dross. Oh, and don't think the post before this you thought you got away with accepting others had said we're a decent team without accepting it.

You keep saying "you might not like it" when talking about Argyle's sustainability etc as if you are the only one that can see our limitations. We all see it but some would rather look at our future with some ambition and hope.

This is a thread about whether we'd prefer Exeter to be promoted or not and yet, from your first post on this matter you seem to use it to belittle our achievements this season gone both on and off the pitch. Even reading some of the less partisan posters on Exweb it comes across not that this season saw a remarkable upturn from November but that it's been the best Exeter has played in the last 5 years. Every dog has it's day and the only thing I envy about Exeter is their academy but even that can dry up at any time.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Metal_Green_Mickey":2ey6qbaq said:

I will accept all of your criticisms/disagreements of my posts except for one thing. You are definitely not qualified to lecture me about is the history of this club!