FA Cup - home to AFC Fylde. Reduced ticket prices | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

FA Cup - home to AFC Fylde. Reduced ticket prices

Mar 8, 2009
Hampshire
Cobi Budge.":1cya0lbj said:
localboy":1cya0lbj said:
Bristol city at home for me, would pull in a good gate with a big away following, slip out after a decent performence and concentrate on the league

I don't really understand that logic.

Bristol City isn't a big tie at all, I've seen us play them home and away many times, if we consider that to be a big game then I think it shows how far we've sunk, a big game is Arsenal, Chelsea etc.

I've got no problem with slipping out of the League cup or even the JPT and concentrating on the league, but the FA cup is a prestigious tournament and one I always like to see us give a good go.

I agree. Unfortunately, for as much as I love a good FA Cup run, it always feels a long way just to the 3rd Round, although I was pleased with our progress last season. Hopefully we'll draw a side we can comfortably beat....and they're not always the non-league sides!

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Cobi Budge.":3cty8386 said:
localboy":3cty8386 said:
Bristol city at home for me, would pull in a good gate with a big away following, slip out after a decent performence and concentrate on the league

Bristol City isn't a big tie at all, I've seen us play them home and away many times, if we consider that to be a big game then I think it shows how far we've sunk, a big game is Arsenal, Chelsea etc.

I've got no problem with slipping out of the League cup or even the JPT and concentrating on the league, but the FA cup is a prestigious tournament and one I always like to see us give a good go.

There can't be many possible bigger first round ties than Argyle v Bristol City this year even if the clubs are 120 miles apart.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Paul_Roberts":2wep6w38 said:
It'd be good to get an away tie at a non-league club and bury the demons of Stourbridge and Dorchester.

Apart from those two I've got pretty good memories of away trips to non-league clubs, and it'd be good to relive some of those without the embarrassment and disgrace that comes with losing!
You obviously didn't go to Worcester City in 1978.

Best away Cup match against non-league was beating Yeovil 2-0 in 1972 after they had beaten Brentford in the previous round and thought that we were their next Giant Killing.

Mike Dowling scored a screamer and Alan Welsh scored direct from a corner from the top wing down the slope.

And all for about £5.00 on the Pilgrim Express.

P

Paul_Roberts

demportdave":26ygd2cz said:
Paul_Roberts":26ygd2cz said:
It'd be good to get an away tie at a non-league club and bury the demons of Stourbridge and Dorchester.

Apart from those two I've got pretty good memories of away trips to non-league clubs, and it'd be good to relive some of those without the embarrassment and disgrace that comes with losing!
You obviously didn't go to Worcester City in 1978.

Best away Cup match against non-league was beating Yeovil 2-0 in 1972 after they had beaten Brentford in the previous round and thought that we were their next Giant Killing.

Mike Dowling scored a screamer and Alan Welsh scored direct from a corner from the top wing down the slope.

And all for about £5.00 on the Pilgrim Express.

No, Worcester was a bit before my time! I do know about it, though, and for many years it was our only defeat to a non-league team until the floodgates opened against Chester early in Sturrock's first spell (followed by Dagenham, Stourbridge and the nadir at Dorchester).

And loyal1970, I totally agree with you about knowing the ball numbers in advance - I always mute the telly and look away when they go through them on TV. Sad but true.

Leo's Grandad

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 18, 2011
Sunny Plymouth
I'll settle for a cup run along the lines of:
Round 1 - Bristol Rovers at home
Round 2 - Torquay at home
Round 3 - Exeter City at home
Round 4 - Man Utd at home, draw and win the replay away
Round 5 - Chelsea or Liverpool away

:coat:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Ridiculous, how the hell would Exeter reach the 3rd round?

Other than that, bang on.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Cobi Budge.":1i0qah5k said:
localboy":1i0qah5k said:

Bristol City isn't a big tie at all, I've seen us play them home and away many times, if we consider that to be a big game then I think it shows how far we've sunk.

In the context of the 1st round draw which is what this thread is about Bristol City is about as big a tie as we are likely to get bar Pompey possibly. Sheff Utd and Coventry are biggish clubs but not really rivals. I would love a couple of easy home ties followed by a plum, money spinning 3rd round tie at OT or The Emirates and bow out gallantly to concentrate on our promotion bid with the funds to clear a huge part of the balloon payment in the bank.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
loyal1970":pnvu7fef said:
don't know why they started telling what number ball you are it spoils the surprise.

Well it isn't hard to work out. The 48 clubs automatically through to the first round proper are numbered 1-48 in alphabetical order.

Nov 22, 2006
desperate for a home draw please actually got a saturday off, which means that I can go up for the first time since our late, late equaliser against Stevenage which seems an age ago now :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

P

Paul_Roberts

Lundan Cabbie":2rpmin4y said:
loyal1970":2rpmin4y said:
don't know why they started telling what number ball you are it spoils the surprise.

Well it isn't hard to work out. The 48 clubs automatically through to the first round proper are numbered 1-48 in alphabetical order.

Not hard to work out if you sit down with the list of teams and a pen and paper, no. If you don't do that (and who would?), then it's perfectly possible to retain an element of innocent surprise.

P

Paul_Roberts

Lundan Cabbie":19dgoz5s said:
How does knowing your number spoil the surprise?

More to the point, why does it bother you so much?