Fair play to James Brent | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Fair play to James Brent

Sep 20, 2003
oddball":1108ag4j said:
Wozzer":1108ag4j said:
oddball":1108ag4j said:
Nope ....these players coming in are due to one man only and that's Adams. We were six players understrength already from last season so its not like any additional money has been provided. Now if we were to get a new grandstand or even a new Far Post Club then I would say fair play to James Brent...but we aren't so I won't.

Who appointed Adams?
Who has backed him with the players coming in?

Wozzer ..... the board chose Adams,that's a fact,but its Adams that has signed the players,something that Sheridan found difficult,but Adams doesn't. Nothing to do with Brent personally.That's all down to Adams.
As for backing Adams,well Brent would have had to back whoever he chose.All Brent and indeed the board have done is allowed Adams to recruit players up to last season's budget. We only had 13 players signed on when Adams came in.... If Brent didn't back him and said No! thirteen is enough then we would have been up sh*t creek without a paddle. No transfer fees have been paid,so its as you were.I dont understand all this Brent hero worship

Not hero worship mate just credit where credit is due. I am pretty sure the whole board didn't choose Adams so why finish that statement with "that's a fact"? Even if they did I am pretty sure that James has the final say.

I don't understand why people have a grudge against James. As Frazier states we are improving every year, from the state we are in patience is the key.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
That's how I see it too Woz. Oddball has his own reasons for not liking the chairman which he stands by. However it's grossly unfair to blame him when things go wrong but not to credit him when things appear to be going right.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Frazer Lloyd-Davies":2eh6nser said:
This will be our fifth season under James Brent. If we finish in 7th (with more than 71 points) we'd have improved every season under his stewardship. If that isn't a job well done, I don't know what is!

Every season in this division should be seen as a failure by those that run the club. The bar should be higher than midtable in League Two.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
I don't see why Sam or have you forgotten out starting position and debt inhibiting spending? I would say that JS was been backed too and last season should have seen us out of the division.

Dec 20, 2011
oddball":1cf88mux said:
Nope ....these players coming in are due to one man only and that's Adams. We were six players understrength already from last season so its not like any additional money has been provided. Now if we were to get a new grandstand or even a new Far Post Club then I would say fair play to James Brent...but we aren't so I won't.
so where did the money come from??

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
monkeywrench":1b820sec said:
I don't see why Sam or have you forgotten out starting position and debt inhibiting spending? I would say that JS was been backed too and last season should have seen us out of the division.

I just think that the standard set by then club should be higher, our ambitions should always be to win the league. If we fall short and get promoted then waheyy! I'm not slagging JB or the club off, I just don't think our plodding along in the 4th division should be so celebrated. To remain competitive and aspire to improve we need to demand high standards. Unsure how your final statement stands seeing as Brent admit himself that the budget and backing of Sheridan was 7th to 9th strongest in the division. But I do somewhat agree that the players Sheridan acquired, with the backing he had, were stronger than a lot of our performances let on - although the loss and failure to replace Hourihane was likely the biggest strain on that.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Who's to say their standards aren't Sam?

This rebuilding, sensibly to avoid the failures of last time, is to be applauded.

Nothing we could do re the loss of Hourihane and replacing a player of that ilk is easier said than done.

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
monkeywrench":19gtg7tp said:
Who's to say their standards aren't Sam?

This rebuilding, sensibly to avoid the failures of last time, is to be applauded.

Nothing we could do re the loss of Hourihane and replacing a player of that ilk is easier said than done.

I agree mate. Better to build slowly and surely, and take things one day at a time, than rush and have a repeat of past mistakes.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Absolutely, I don't disagree, but Frazer's saying job well done and I disagree - theres not been any success yet. And I agree replacing Conor was a tough one, but all we seemed to afford was a cast off from a team destined for the conference. Whether that was Shez' poo scouting or Brent's bargain budget I don't know, likely a mix of the two. It's all well and good saying we'll avoid mistakes of the past, but if our plan to avoid them is to avoid climbing back to that standard of football then that's a bit of a cop out haha.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I agree Sam, we must regard another season in the basement as failure.

Let's all hope next season we will pay without fear and get out of this God awful division.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
spowell92":w4zntgzm said:
Absolutely, I don't disagree, but Frazer's saying job well done and I disagree - theres not been any success yet. And I agree replacing Conor was a tough one, but all we seemed to afford was a cast off from a team destined for the conference. Whether that was Shez' sh1te scouting or Brent's bargain budget I don't know, likely a mix of the two. It's all well and good saying we'll avoid mistakes of the past, but if our plan to avoid them is to avoid climbing back to that standard of football then that's a bit of a cop out haha.

That last sentence is a bit of a leap isn't it?

We had a good squad last year but Sheridan couldn't get them to play with any consistency and didn't appear to be able to change our game.

Anyway yep, we need out of this division this season or a failure it is. But who's to blame? I honestly don't think that JB can do much more.

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
monkeywrench":1829lmce said:
spowell92":1829lmce said:
Absolutely, I don't disagree, but Frazer's saying job well done and I disagree - theres not been any success yet. And I agree replacing Conor was a tough one, but all we seemed to afford was a cast off from a team destined for the conference. Whether that was Shez' sh1te scouting or Brent's bargain budget I don't know, likely a mix of the two. It's all well and good saying we'll avoid mistakes of the past, but if our plan to avoid them is to avoid climbing back to that standard of football then that's a bit of a cop out haha.

That last sentence is a bit of a leap isn't it?

We had a good squad last year but Sheridan couldn't get them to play with any consistency and didn't appear to be able to change our game.

Anyway yep, we need out of this division this season or a failure it is. But who's to blame? I honestly don't think that JB can do much more.

I will say the same to you that I have said to others. With the squad we had we should have gone up last seaspn, it's only down to poor management that we didn't. Arguably the best goalkeeper in the division, One of the best defences in the division, One of the best strikers in the division, we should have been top 5 at least. It is down to JS that we are still in this division, he couldn't motivate the players, his tactical decisions were "baffling" to say the least. If DA had been our manager last season I believe that we would have been promoted.

Aug 10, 2006
Wozzer":3gnubrg8 said:
oddball":3gnubrg8 said:

Who appointed Adams?
Who has backed him with the players coming in?
we had to get player's in to make a squad so we can play this year if not we would be kicked out the league so all this well done brent is pretty pointless really.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Oh come on loyal. There's getting players in and there's getting PLAYERS in. No one will take any notice of what you say unless you have some balance in your arguments.

Feb 19, 2013
I don't see the need for all this congratulations of James Brent for allowing Adams to sign new players.

Surley as the owner of a football club you take on the responsibility of ensuring that the team you own and have invested in have a squad of players to compete, so in that sense Brent is no different to any other chairman in this or any other league. He is just doing what any owner should do, all be it some owners do it on a bigger scale.

Thr players brought in so far look good but that is probably more down to Adams than James Brent.