Fair play to James Brent | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Fair play to James Brent

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
So blame the chairman when things don't go well but don't give any credit for when they do (or appear to be). As I have said to loyal, balance your arguments if you want to be taken seriously.

T

The Grumpy Loyal

monkeywrench":eunyp7ga said:
So blame the chairman when things don't go well but don't give any credit for when they do (or appear to be). As I have said to loyal, balance your arguments if you want to be taken seriously.

:lol:

This thread is a classic example of scraping any excuse for a 'Hurrah For St James!!!'

Monkey, we have a manager who hasn't yet managed a game, and players - bar Sawyer - none of us have seen play. Yet you laud the fact that Adams is signing players as something to shower Brent with rose petals!

It's well documented what I feel about Brent and his reasons for getting involved at our club. It was all about making money for himself. Sadly for him his plans were so half-arsed and shockingly short-sighted, it was always doomed to fail. Talking of failure, I could knock up a list as long as your arm of the failings Brent has presided over both at PAFC and elsewhere, but all I'm really interested in now his disgraceful Micro-stand plan has crumbled, is getting out of this God-forsaken league.

Let's all hope that come May, Adams has had the budget and backing available to get us out of the league.

When that happens, the Board can take credit for his appointment.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
I'm not lauding anything. My point, loyal, is that some are giving credit only to Adams for bringing players in and nothing to JB for getting the manager in in the first place and backing him by bringing in SPL quality players.

You'll note my caveat in brackets in my original post. Appear.

T

The Grumpy Loyal

monkeywrench":3gq6i63u said:
I'm not lauding anything. My point, loyal, is that some are giving credit only to Adams for bringing players in and nothing to JB for getting the manager in in the first place and backing him by bringing in SPL quality players.

Jeez, do you not see the pointlessness of throwing plaudits around before a ball has even been kicked?

Your argument is Brent deserves credit for being part of a Board who hired Adams, who hasn't yet managed a game, who in turn has then gone on to hire players nobody has seen play, GS aside. :lol:

Like I said, a laughable thread.

Oct 24, 2010
Come on Grumpy this is July. Euphoria abounds. At this time of year there is hardly a fan in the country who isn't convinced that his or her team will take whatever league they are in by storm. Unfortunately for most reality normally sets in around November.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
The Grumpy Loyal":6pj8cjaf said:
monkeywrench":6pj8cjaf said:

Jeez, do you not see the pointlessness of throwing plaudits around before a ball has even been kicked?

Your argument is Brent deserves credit for being part of a Board who hired Adams, who hasn't yet managed a game, who in turn has then gone on to hire players nobody has seen play, GS aside. :lol:

Like I said, a laughable thread.

Again, you completely miss the point I'm making. But there you go.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
I think if you check out the thread when Adams was hired many are applauding Brent's and the board's conviction of the hiring process. The way it wasn't rushed, the way it was all leaked out, it was professionally handled and on paper it seems a good appointment. Much like the four players signed thus far seem decent additions to the squad, not breathtaking but they do build my optimism. I understand Grumpys point and side with him here though, a ball has yet to be kicked and a FL game yet to be managed - this is a thread of premature back slapping. I mean we're still yet to sign a central midfielder, not sure why Carey is assumed to be one given he's a left mid.

Feb 19, 2013
monkeywrench":23swwld4 said:
I

What is there to give him credit for? I'm certainly not having a go at him, but it seems laughable that we are slapping him on the back and congratulating him simply for allowing the manager to sign some desperately needed players to ensure we have enough for the start of the season - something any other chairman in the country does and should do as part of the ownership of the club.

I'll happily give Brent credit if Adams proves to be a success and gets us promoted but not until then.

F

Frazer Lloyd-Davies

spowell92":3cu6n82h said:
Frazer Lloyd-Davies":3cu6n82h said:
This will be our fifth season under James Brent. If we finish in 7th (with more than 71 points) we'd have improved every season under his stewardship. If that isn't a job well done, I don't know what is!

Every season in this division should be seen as a failure by those that run the club. The bar should be higher than midtable in League Two.

We are Plymouth Argyle, we're a League One club historically and not Manchester United.

We're not even Portsmouth. Portsmouth are in our division, yet they're a far bigger club. They have more fans and a better history. We celebrate an FA Cup Semi Final - they have the trophy. They've played in the Premier League, we got giddy, signed Steve MacLean, crashed and burned.

Given what happened, to be one league away from our historic position, five years after what happened, isn't as bad as some make out. I'll admit that last season was a disappointment. I'm still fuming with the manner in which we played in the Play Offs and agree, with that squad we should have been promoted. The league wasn't difficult. We couldn't win for 7 or 8 games in January and still finished in the top seven. That wasn't Brent's fault though.

From Brent's perspective, he has moved this club forward from the brink, year on year, and that has to be viewed as a success in my opinion. Will this season be a failure if we get to Wembley, control the game but lose to a dodgy decision, penalty shoot out or last minute goal? Should we then criticise Brent for not getting promotion under such circumstances? He cannot control what happens on the pitch, only influence it by giving his manager the tools to do his job. Something I believe he did with Sheridan and is doing with Adams.

Sure, let's be disappointed that we're in League Two but let's have some perspective about who we are, the size of our club, where we've come from and the progress we've made.

For what it's worth, I think we can forget about simple, bog standard promotion this season anyway. Adams gives me a good feeling and he's signed well so far. I think we'll be lining the streets of Plymouth next summer and celebrating the title. Big call but hey, it's silly season!

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Sam I agree with most of that. You're an intelligent lad so I'm sure that you got the point I was trying to make even if others didn't.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Ho Ho Green Benny":2kver93j said:
monkeywrench":2kver93j said:
I

What is there to give him credit for? I'm certainly not having a go at him, but it seems laughable that we are slapping him on the back and congratulating him simply for allowing the manager to sign some desperately needed players to ensure we have enough for the start of the season - something any other chairman in the country does and should do as part of the ownership of the club.

I'll happily give Brent credit if Adams proves to be a success and gets us promoted but not until then.

And there goes my point. Missed again.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
It's a shame the original poster can't have his say without his comments being attacked and hi-jacked into a JB bashing exercise.

He didn't say "congratulations", he isn't "back slapping" JB and he isn't saying "hurah for JB".

He's just saying "fair play" to JB AND the board for bringing in Derek Adams and new players.
Even then John Eldridge is saying "he hopes the club does well on the pitch". Hardly the stuff of happy clapping.

Dec 20, 2011
PL2 3DQ":2x45q272 said:
It's a shame the original poster can't have his say without his comments being attacked and hi-jacked into a JB bashing exercise.

He didn't say "congratulations", he isn't "back slapping" JB and he isn't saying "hurah for JB".

He's just saying "fair play" to JB AND the board for bringing in Derek Adams and new players.
Even then John Eldridge is saying "he hopes the club does well on the pitch". Hardly the stuff of happy clapping.

Spot on Posty............ no sex wee from me just yet, just looking forward to seeing how things will pan out in the next few months

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
"Attacked"... Really? And is hi-jacked just another word for discussion that doesn't follow one opinion? Should all threads have one poster say their opening statement followed by a barrage of, "I agrees :clap:"? Dearie me.