Gary Sawyer signs - confirmed | Page 10 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Gary Sawyer signs - confirmed

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
18 games last year for a team higher than us, vast experience generally playing at a higher level, and if Purrington stays, woukd be a good mentor. Good first signing

C

Cult Of Personality

Solid signing we know what we going to get and i think thats what we need . Left back has been a problem for awhile and whilst Purrington is still unknown at the moment i think Sawyer will be the number 1 left back

Dec 28, 2010
Happy with this signing.

Does what it says on the tin kind of player.

Doesnt set the world alight but is consistant and organised.

Sep 26, 2008
I remember a decent young defender. He now returns with much experience. Good luck Gary.

Mar 23, 2008
Think it's a good signing albeit in an area where we are already strong. All good teams are built from the back and if we play a back four with Luke in goal, Mellor RB, Sawyer LB and Nelse/Hartley/McHugh at centre half then that's a very solid base to build from. Now comes the exciting/tricky bit, midfield really needs some work, we have one solid player in Cox but need some quality on the ball and creativity. We also need some pace on the wings and it will be getting these areas correct that make or indeed break our season in my view.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Deacster":1k9fj5j3 said:
Think it's a good signing albeit in an area where we are already strong. All good teams are built from the back and if we play a back four with Luke in goal, Mellor RB, Sawyer LB and Nelse/Hartley/McHugh at centre half then that's a very solid base to build from. Now comes the exciting/tricky bit, midfield really needs some work, we have one solid player in Cox but need some quality on the ball and creativity. We also need some pace on the wings and it will be getting these areas correct that make or indeed break our season in my view.

Anyone knowing the whereabouts of Ollie Norburn, ask him to call home immediately as a previous teams midfield is seriously ill. :facepalm:

(I suppose those radio announcements have been superceded by mobiles and the internet?)

C

Cobi Budge.

12 players were used at LB/LWB inside the last 2 seasons:

Andre Blackman.
Jamie Reckord.
Durrell Berry.
Ben Purrington.
Kelvin Mellor.
Conor Hourihane.
Nathan Thomas.
Andy Kellet.
Tareiq Holmes-Dennis.
Carl McHugh.
Edited to add Matt Parsons & Curtis Nelson (cheers Dan)

Sheridan never really addressed the issue, it looks like Adams has done so straight away.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
You can add Matt Parsons and Curtis Nelson (moved there for the last 20 minutes at Morecambe away) in there too.

Totally agree though, Sawyer's reliability to back up Purrington's talent but (understandable) inconsistency sorts the left-back situation, and our defence as a whole IMO.

Now for a striker and plenty of midfielders!

For those who don't remember him he is a solid dependable player who can get forward. Only ever been sent off once, for 2 yellow cards, scores the occasional screamer, 8 career goals I think. As just said, this fills a gap that has been a problem for years, And with Purrington as an understudy I think its a gap well filled.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
VCA:
Did adore GDS's non-template comments about wilfully coming back to work to being a further part of club history, rather than some binary about a "manager's project".
Hope the lad achieves that and our aim.
Best of luck to the gentleman.

Apr 3, 2015
Cobi Budge.":rxcrz68e said:

Andre Blackman.
Jamie Reckord.
Durrell Berry.
Ben Purrington.
Kelvin Mellor.
Conor Hourihane.
Nathan Thomas.
Andy Kellet.
Tareiq Holmes-Dennis.
Carl McHugh.

Sheridan never really addressed the issue, it looks like Adams has done so straight away.

I also remember Guerreri spending 20 mins at LWB against Oxford at home in 13/14 after Blanchard got sent off and we were chasing the game with Enoch Showunmi up top!

Sawyer will be solid, dependable, left footed, experienced in the position and his career; more than can be said for many on the list above.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
paranoid android 123":80xh1vf3 said:
Cobi Budge.":80xh1vf3 said:

Andre Blackman.
Jamie Reckord.
Durrell Berry.
Ben Purrington.
Kelvin Mellor.
Conor Hourihane.
Nathan Thomas.
Andy Kellet.
Tareiq Holmes-Dennis.
Carl McHugh.

I also remember Guerreri spending 20 mins at LWB against Oxford at home in 13/14 after Blanchard got sent off and we were chasing the game with Enoch Showunmi up top!

Sawyer will be solid, dependable, left footed, experienced in the position and his career; more than can be said for many on the list above.

Before his period with Argyle, Guerrerri played as a full back for Burton, if my memory serves me well. It follows from that, he was not unaccustomed to that role.