Graham Carey | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Graham Carey

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Mark Pedlar":21s15lqc said:
HC Green":21s15lqc said:
Mark Pedlar":21s15lqc said:
So we had Carey and Sawyer on a one year (plus extension) contract - we offered them a second year and they accepted it. We had Simpson on a one year (plus extension) contract, we didn't offer him the extra year.

Nelson, Reid, Hartley and McHugh were offered similar contracts for this year and they didn't want them. From hearsay Nelson wanted to leave this year anyway so no additional years would have helped. McHugh wanted to move for personal reasons - again no extra years would have made a difference. Did Adams want Reid and/or Hartley - they allegedly were offered poor deals so there was no great desire to hold on to them.

I think this whole one-year business is overblown and I can't stand Starnes!!

They weren't offered a second year and accepted, Argyle triggered a clause in their contract that extended their contract for a second year.

As I understand it there is an option for the player for him (or someone on his behalf) to pay a fee to get out of the second year if he doesn't want to stay. Hence my use of "offer". But yes you're right.

Nelson wasn't going to stay beyond the summer of 2016 whether we were promoted or not. I still remain to be convinced that Adams wanted to keep Hartley, Harvey or Reid. McHugh is a different kettle of fish.
Agreed. Spoke to Hartley's Dad who was on holiday the day after he scored the winner against Pompey and he was naturally excited and proud of his son. When signing for another year was mentioned he replied,"He doesn't think they really want him" indicating the offer reflected that. Harvey he probably correctly decided wasn't up to it and Reid with his injuries again he didn't think was worth keeping I guess.

Apr 15, 2016
HC Green":351j6wh9 said:
Assuming Carey won't want to stay after June 2017 we will need to sell him in January or he will go for nothing.

At the Senior Greens today, Martyn Starmes said all the new players are on 1 year contracts with the option for the club to extend for a second year.

Isn't it that optional second year extension that Carey is now in though? Unless there is another optional extension onto this year?

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
ProfGreen":ap0izqq3 said:
HC Green":ap0izqq3 said:
Assuming Carey won't want to stay after June 2017 we will need to sell him in January or he will go for nothing.

At the Senior Greens today, Martyn Starmes said all the new players are on 1 year contracts with the option for the club to extend for a second year.

Isn't it that optional second year extension that Carey is now in though? Unless there is another optional extension onto this year?

That's right so we can now expect some contract discussions going on, maybe they've already started.

Mar 23, 2008
Argy1e":2rnsdpob said:
High player turnover seems something that is quite common for Derek Adams, given how his clubs have done dealings in the past I'll be surprised if next summer is any different.
Interesting in 442s season preview they talk about a change in Ross County's policy, now offering longer contracts which does suggests short-term contracts are Adams way.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
It may be that, now DA has committed himself for 4 years, he will be more comfortable trying to persuade his better players to also commit for longer. I am sure that Graham Carey would be one of the first on his list.

Jul 11, 2011
HC Green":3tb43vf5 said:
Mark Pedlar":3tb43vf5 said:
So we had Carey and Sawyer on a one year (plus extension) contract - we offered them a second year and they accepted it. We had Simpson on a one year (plus extension) contract, we didn't offer him the extra year.

Nelson, Reid, Hartley and McHugh were offered similar contracts for this year and they didn't want them. From hearsay Nelson wanted to leave this year anyway so no additional years would have helped. McHugh wanted to move for personal reasons - again no extra years would have made a difference. Did Adams want Reid and/or Hartley - they allegedly were offered poor deals so there was no great desire to hold on to them.

I think this whole one-year business is overblown and I can't stand Starnes!!

They weren't offered a second year and accepted, Argyle triggered a clause in their contract that extended their contract for a second year.

If this was the case how did Wylde leave?? He had triggered the extension but still left for free.

May 8, 2011
Argyle had the option to extend contracts if players triggered a certain milestone but only if they want to, the player can't do it.
In the case of Wylde it would appear that Adams decided he wasn't good enough to warrant the terms of the contract that the second year would give him so offerred him a new deal.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
I'd give Carey a new extended deal today.

Without him we would be pretty boring.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Tugboat":1x231nme said:
I'd give Carey a new extended deal today.

Without him we would be pretty boring.

We could offer but unless the wage was huge why would he accept? I would have thought he would want to wait to see how we are doing first. I reckon November will be the time of the year that both sides begin to think about tying stuff up.

Apr 29, 2010
It was stated quite clearly after Wembley, that Wylde didn't have a clause for a year extension in his contract. His was a straight one year deal.

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
If Carey gets an offer from a team in a higher division with a better salary for his own career he has got to move on from this horrible league we are in.

I would be sad to see him leave because without him we fxxxxxx but you could not blame for moving on.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
i recall a lincoln city fan posting on 'ere some time ago about dropping out of the league and the similarities are stark.he said things like "you think you will bounce right back,you will sign players you have never heard of on one year deals,occasionally you get a good player (graham carey?) and they inevitably move on to a higher division club and when this season is over most of those 1 year contracts expire and they leave for a similar or lesser club(marvin morgan?),'tis going to be tough to get out of this miserable division but i think derek is the man to manage us to promotion.