Graham Carey | Page 11 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Graham Carey

Feb 15, 2005
So some posters talk about players we've sold previously like Bolasie, Barnes and Puncheon who all played in this division and none of them were automatic starters like Carey or fans favourites. They are now all in the Premier League and why can't Graham Carey if he is given the opportunity?

Jul 12, 2016
Cause he isn't good enough. A good player but as could be seen on Saturday he sometimes struggles to deliver from corners etc. Surprised if he could cope much above league 1 standard,possibly Championship.

Aug 5, 2016
Vampires11":347jx6qh said:
Fox is our key................Carey was with us last season and we achieved nothing except a play-off place. From January onwards he did virtually nothing and didn't show at Wembley at all. He was marked out of the match by Connor Smith!!
And lets be honest, Carey has spent his career being a journeyman too, if he was a championship player he would be there now, not in league 2.
If he wants to leave , get him gone and move on.

Connor Smith was playing right midfield that game, Carey was playing attacking midfield.

Impressive if Connor is going around saying HE had Carey in his pocket at Wembley!!

Feb 15, 2005
old age":1vm1wxw8 said:
Cause he isn't good enough. A good player but as could be seen on Saturday he sometimes struggles to deliver from corners etc. Surprised if he could cope much above league 1 standard,possibly Championship.

I totally disagree, as I stated Bolasie, Puncheon and Barnes were not generally rated by the fans or the manager when they played here in bottom tier and look given an opportunity Bolasie has shone the brightest of the three whilst the other two play in the Premier league. I believe Bolasie made 50 appearances in three years, in some of those games he was anonymous and at times frustratingly poor. No one then said any of the three were destined for the Premier League.Luck and opportunity is what is needed sometimes.

May 8, 2011
SwimWithTheTide":1veeqnnh said:
I know some are a fan of it and there are benefits these one year + extension trigger contracts, but I hope we're flexible enough now to not have it as an outright policy. It'd be a bit shortsighted otherwise.

Carey puts bums on seats and names printed on the back of kids kits. I'd love to see the club progress up the leagues over the next few years with Carey at the heart of it all.

When we signed Carey in 2015 no one knew much about him. He had been released by a number of clubs so in many respects he was just another journeyman footballer as all the signings were. So in 2015 could anyone without the wonderful thing called hindsight justify giving him more than the 1 + 1 contract.
In many respect Josh Simpson had a much better reputation than Carey and if he had been given a 3 year contract we would have ended up with a financial liabilitity on the Club.

Hindsight!

Mar 8, 2009
Hampshire
buck197":3uots3xi said:
old age":3uots3xi said:

I totally disagree, as I stated Bolasie, Puncheon and Barnes were not generally rated by the fans or the manager when they played here in bottom tier and look given an opportunity Bolasie has shone the brightest of the three whilst the other two play in the Premier league. I believe Bolasie made 50 appearances in three years, in some of those games he was anonymous and at times frustratingly poor. No one then said any of the three were destined for the Premier League.Luck and opportunity is what is needed sometimes.

It's not even remotely the same. We've brought the best out of Carey and many League One clubs would give him 40 starts or more in a season if they could. But he is far off Premier League standard. Given the experience those three - Bolasie, Puncheon and Barnes - had, when trying to get games in a large Championship squad, they simply weren't ready to play at the standard they do now, similarly with Noone and Mason. We weren't underestimating their ability; they simply moved on once they were ready because their potential was greater than Argyle's, given we were in League One and near the foot of the table (even before points deduction).

Jul 6, 2005
Whilst in no way holding him to blame for the back to back home defeats, perhaps some people will now realise what an average player Carey is, even at League 2 level. Considering the way some people talk about him and their paranoia about him going in January, his inability to influence the game on Saturday and again tonight was quite disappointing.

He is a decent player at this level, but that's all he is.

As for comparing him to Bolasie and Puncheon ... ludicrous.

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
No way is he average, he might not be playing well at the moment but he is not am average player. Your average player could not do the things he does.

May 1, 2011
buck197":2sycrtvx said:
So some posters talk about players we've sold previously like Bolasie, Barnes and Puncheon who all played in this division and none of them were automatic starters like Carey or fans favourites. They are now all in the Premier League and why can't Graham Carey if he is given the opportunity?

Those players were raw young players with talent that needed time to develop.

Carey is 28 and is not a raw young talent. He is a good league 2 or league 1 player.

The situations are not in anyway comparable and it's crazy to talk about Carey playing in the Premiership.

Dec 3, 2005
He is either trying TOO hard to impress any Scouts or he as read too much of the hype surrounding him, he doesn't need to be spectacular, sometimes playing a simple ball is the best idea.

Jul 12, 2016
Glad I'm not alone in my view of Carey.On his day he is a very good player but although he made some good passes last night he is still inclined to try a flicked pass to nobody or lose possession. I reiterate that I would be very sorry to see him leave but I wish some supporters ,probably the same ones who think we perform well at home,would take a reality check.We do not play anything like promotion contenders at Home Park

May 16, 2016
I've said it before, he's our Achilles Heel. His tendency to be over flamboyant can cost us chances and loss of momentum.

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
If he was that good, and could play in the premier league, he wouldn't be anywhere near Plymouth and would have been snapped swapped n long before now. He does seem to be a passenger just when you need him most. Unlike Friio, or Castle, for example, who would literally grab something out of nothing on a regular basis