Grandstand/PCC | Page 34 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Grandstand/PCC

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
Pasties and Cider":hnyf9smn said:
gariboldi":hnyf9smn said:
When you think of all the projects put on the back burners or cancelled under the direction of James Brent then it comes as no surprise that the teams promotion prospects are likewise flagging. The Pavillions renovation hasn't yet happened, hotel projects adandoned, the Grandstand seems forever on hold, the controversial cinema not screening yet, not built, in fact all of these enterprises are either dropped, delayed or consigned to mere fantasy. I find it little wonder with this emphasis on incompletion as a culture trend, that fans cannot generate any degree of optimism that Argyle, under James Brent's ownership, can swim against the tide of underachievement and produce something definitive.

John Sheridan talked of lethargy amongst his team at York. This at a time when you'd expect the team to be going as flat out as the Flying Scotsman steam train for promotion. Strange affair that! Ok, an off day, but they've had a few lately and it does in fact make me wonder if there is no happy ending and that we as fans are also victims of an inexorable pipe dream. It happened last season and it's happening again. The question is why can't we generate sufficient drive to really want something? Why the apathy at Home Park. Do we speak of an aura?

Now I know James Brent saved our bacon and I know he is a genuinely nice fellow and this isn't a full on JB knocking session. However, what I would say to him is that of all the projects most likely to bring immediate dividend to JB's door in terms of profit, financial sustainability and with it an upsurge in popularity a promotion push most certainly fits his bill. If he were to back John Sheridan now and help finance the push then maybe, just maybe, momentum can still be a word to survive the restricted thesaurus of the Plymouth business scene. January's transfer activities are vital. Were we to buy a couple of quality players then we'd start to move towards an objective reached rather than another goal not achieved, another chance squandered? The time is now. For JB, for the fans, for JS, for his squad. Carpe dium is here and stagnation is not the answer.

Trouble is I expect there are 10-12 other clubs having similar thoughts. Question is - "do WE have the right levels of infrastructure, players and fan commitment to make promotion AND keep us there?". Lots of fans on all sides of the argument blaming the failure of one component or another but unless we can all work together it isn't going to happen. I'd like to have millions to invest in the club, or be in a position to attract a rich benefactor. I'd like to get the people of the peninsula out of their armchairs and down to Home Park. I can't, so the only thing I can do about it myself is to get to Home Park and try and motivate the players on the day. I'd be interested to know what positive thing others are going to do. Like him or not (Personally I can't stand the glib enthusiasm) but at least GreenArmy1984 is trying in his own way. Better that than the cesspool of misery some seem intent on living in. If you don't like the way the club is run, do something about it - demonstrate, write to the club, the council, the FA, god help us even the AFT etc, etc.
oh I've got plans alright.
Just waiting for the stars to align...

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
1950 Wolves in the FA Cup - 40,000, definitely need a bigger stand....... :crazy: :crazy:

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
justanotherfan":24g5me1h said:
1950 Wolves in the FA Cup - 40,000, definitely need a bigger stand....... :crazy: :crazy:

944 v Bournemouth FA Trophy 1996. Definitely only need 1 thousand capacity eh?

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
Personally I would far rather have a modern modest stadium packed to the rafters than another one of these monolith wastelands which we see every week on TV.

And I include the Premiership.

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
argobenz":sjrcyswh said:
Personally I would far rather have a modern modest stadium packed to the rafters than another one of these monolith wastelands which we see every week on TV.

:thumbs: :thumbs:

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
argobenz":43n6q3xq said:

Sure I read this week that there was 96% occupancy at Premier league games?
I would also like to see a smaller packed ground as long as the infrastructure was in place to easily and affordable increase capacity as and when needed and not to have corners of the ground spirited away to consign us for ever with a 16,000 stadium with no hope of ever expanding bar promotion to the Premier league which would become even more difficult with lower capacity.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
jerryatricjanner":25exiceg said:
argobenz":25exiceg said:

Does that include the corporates who never turn up? I look at Arsenal as a prime example of that who I believe near sell out each game but look around the ground on the TV and it's empty seats galore, I'm guessing Arsenal aren't a one off up there either.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
I assume it relates to tickets sold as Arsenal's attendance is recorded as 60,000 or a shade over every game regardless but at least they are all paid for. A fair percentage of season ticket holders will miss numerous games also just as at Home Park where the official attendance published is probably a good 10% higher than the actual number of people in the ground. 96% is a very high percentage of seats sold.

Apr 28, 2013
I like the big PL stadiums! When I went to Argyle vs Arsenal it was such an amazing experience sitting in the top tier at the Emirates. Although it probably wouldn't feel right at all if it was empty! We could have ended up with a stadium only a bit smaller than that if the World Cup bid wasn't corrupt, probably wouldn't be in this league either though!

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
jerryatricjanner":gasrecrv said:
argobenz":gasrecrv said:

I would also like to see a smaller packed ground as long as the infrastructure was in place to easily and affordable increase capacity as and when needed and not to have corners of the ground spirited away to consign us for ever with a 16,000 stadium with no hope of ever expanding bar promotion to the Premier league which would become even more difficult with lower capacity.

I said modest, around 25k not small.

Argyle planning for the Premiership is a joke, by the time we get anywhere near there we could easily demolish the Devonport End and build a multi tier version.

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
jerryatricjanner":3o8m1b00 said:
I assume it relates to tickets sold as Arsenal's attendance is recorded as 60,000 or a shade over every game regardless but at least they are all paid for. A fair percentage of season ticket holders will miss numerous games also just as at Home Park where the official attendance published is probably a good 10% higher than the actual number of people in the ground. 96% is a very high percentage of seats sold.

More like 10% less.

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
tom16pafc":2dcjwnmp said:
I like the big PL stadiums! When I went to Argyle vs Arsenal it was such an amazing experience sitting in the top tier at the Emirates. Although it probably wouldn't feel right at all if it was empty! We could have ended up with a stadium only a bit smaller than that if the World Cup bid wasn't corrupt, probably wouldn't be in this league either though!

Can you imagine how bad it would be having 6k in a 30k stadium, let alone a 40 or 60k one?

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
A 20k stadium with plans included for expansion if required is what we need.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
argobenz":bjgbrldz said:
jerryatricjanner":bjgbrldz said:

More like 10% less.
What you really think there has been an average of 8,300 people inside the ground at our home matches this season? Surely an extra tier on the Devonport in the future could take us to barely 20,000 if we lose the corers of the current ground and the expense would be far greater than filling in the corners?