Grandstand Update | Page 19 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Grandstand Update

Do you like the stage 1 plans for the grandstand?

• Yes

Votes: 206 77.2%
  • No

Votes: 36 13.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 25 9.4%

• Total voters
T

The Grumpy Loyal

Right, I'm sorry to bring a dose of realism to those who were duped (myself included) into thinking the £5m rebuild would bring capacity to around 20k.

But we, the fans have yet again been mugged off.

If ANYONE can point me to a quote from Brent about 'Stage1 and Stage2' prior to these plans being released, I'd be grateful. But I'm damn sure you won't find any.

If Postie, who is as Greentinted as they come can only realistically see a 17,400 capacity, then that's the MAXIMUM we are getting folks - a 4,800 capacity stand when added to the 12,600 horseshoe.

4,800 IS SMALLER THAN THE LYNDHURST STAND OPPOSITE - FACT.

Pathetic.

And please don't quote these laughably mythical Stage2 fantasy plans. They are a red herring of the highest order and I would put my mortgage on them never in a million years happening. They have been popped in to try and appease your average Janner into thinking Stage2 has an actual plan, funding and timescale in terms of genuine actions rather than words. I'd go as far as saying this is pretty disingenuous by the club.

No wonder Brent was desperate for such secrecy with the Working Party etc.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The Grumpy Loyal":2weqptbt said:
Right, I'm sorry to bring a dose of realism to those who were duped (myself included) into thinking the £5m rebuild would bring capacity to around 20k.

If ANYONE can point me to a quote from Brent about 'Stage1 and Stage2' prior to these plans being released, I'd be grateful. But I'm damn sure you won't find any.

If Postie, who is as Greentinted as they come can only realistically see a 17,400 capacity, then that's the MAXIMUM we are getting folks - a 4,800 capacity stand when added to the 12,600 horseshoe.

Pathetic.

And please don't quote these laughably mythical Stage2 fantasy plans. They are a red herring of the highest order and I would put my mortgage on them never in a million years happening. They have been popped in to try and appease your average Janner into thinking Stage2 has an actual plan, funding and timescale in terms of genuine actions rather than words. I'd go as far as saying this is pretty disingenuous by the club.

I mentioned the capacity at stage 1 might be around 5,400 and not 4,800.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
dennis the menace":59ydle0q said:
It's obvious that the Lyndhurst is bigger than the grandstand. It's what's behind it that matters and is the whole point of this refurbishment.

Exactly, some people just don't get it :facepalm:

Feb 7, 2009
Church Crookham
For those complaining about the pillars remaining, I'm no structural engineer, but if they removed them the roof would likely fall down. And then you'd really have something to moan about.

Good pragmatic plans, can't wait. Also surprisingly overall pragmatic, positive welcome for them on here.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
The pillers are non negotiable due to the lack of space available behind the grandstand to have the relevant support steel that comes out needed to counter the weight of the roof.

May 8, 2011
The Grumpy Loyal":1uc6g8tw said:

Pathetic.

You've must have missed the end of this article
http://m.plymouthherald.co.uk/james-bre ... story.html

Feb 8, 2005
Brent has already said that we SHOULD be able to get back to the Championship, naturally, with the amount of revenue currently generated by the anticipated gates, but that we would need extra revenue to stay there.

The grandstand is being refurbished in order to provide that extra cash. It is being extended backwards from the pitch in order to provide the facilities to get that extra cash.

As well as doing that, the Club will provide extra seating where the Mayflower standing was, the Mayflower seating has to be readjusted, and new seating will be provided in the grandstand, with improvements being made with new toilets, kitchen, etc.

The interior, and exterior, of the Club premises, would be changed in order to incorporate the new shop, the change in changing facilities for the players, and other minor alterations under the grandstand itself, as well as to provide and update the corporate facilities badly needed to increase the club revenue.

I would suggest that will be the main thrust of the £5m project, but that there will be provision for a second phase in order to complete the ground by bringing the corners into use once again. This will be where any major increase in seating may be able to be done. Hopefully, by then, the attendances will have increased in order to make it a financially viable proposition.

Mayflower 2020 is the thrust for all this activity, but whether phase two will be completed by this time will depend on how well the football club do in their quest for promotion to the Championship, how well the extra funding will provide the financial resources to do this, and also how we can provide the money to get phase two done. I suspect 2020 will be a bit too early, but at least the provision will be there for expansion of some sort at a later stage.

Until we reach the Championship, our current capacity, and our projected capacity will be sufficient for our current needs.

This grandstand improvement is all to do with providing extra revenue for the football club, and any emphasis on increasing capacity at this stage is unnecessary and is only a distraction from the original intention of providing extra funds for the club to progress on the pitch.

metroace

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Sep 8, 2011
Glenholt
Ollieargyle9":c6uq3ss5 said:
Does anyone know what the box on the far (Barn Park) side is? Looks to me like a TV studio with a press box beneath it although I could be wrong. I know they've had to put up temporary ones whenever we've been on.

There have been a few posting asking roughly the same question as above and no one has yet provided an answer. I was curious when I saw that when I attended yesterday then I saw a floor layout on another drawing (sorry, I didn't photograph that one) which indicates it is a control room. probably the kind of thing that would be needed if we get to the stages of playing matches deemed to require additional police presence, or whatever. The guys who know about safety requirements may be able to add more on the requirement for control rooms.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Just a very quick question.

The wall between the HHP and the back of the grandstand, does it need to be there? It holds up the back of the male and female toilets which I would assume nobody would use once the new facilities are available inside. It also has the entrance for the players but even so, it's hardly like the players can't be approached anyway. If the outside of the building were to be remodelled i.e as we saw at Liverpool earlier this season couldn't it allow for 1) better parking for the players and 2) a permanent museum about Argyle and the community or perhaps a long sports bar. There is a lot of dead space in that area that could be used to generate more revenue and even make PAFC a more professional outfit.

May 16, 2016
Never underestimate the importance of a good cup run and promotion. The proposed plans yesterday would have looked a lot different without them. The drawings are fairly hot off the press I believe. Not all the staff had seen them prior to yesterday.

The aim is to be completed by 2020.

Anyone with the chance to, is highly recommended to go up and have a look at the information available. Better to see them than spoil your weekend fretting or speculating.

Anyone with a few spare wads of serious cash feel free to drop them off in reception.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
HC Green":1p8gbbs3 said:
The Grumpy Loyal":1p8gbbs3 said:

Pathetic.

Brent said: "We are looking at increasing the ground capacity from about 16,400 to around 20,000 and then having the ability to go further at an affordable cost."

Whereas the reality seems to be that the capacity will increase to around 17,500 and then having the ability to go further to 20,000 at an affordable cost.

Although all I've seen on here of supposed stage 1 capacity is fag packet maths based on some loose graphics. Hopefully a later more official release of plans states some figures and we can all be a bit more clear of what is happening.

I really like the look of the plans. The expansion of the grandstand to include greater hospitality function is essential for any club looking to progress and helps turn the stadium into a full time facility rather than solely for 25 odd games a season.

I just hope that we've not been duped in terms of capacity again though.

Aug 13, 2006
Cornwall
Guiri Green":1cenjm5m said:
Never underestimate the importance of a good cup run and promotion. The proposed plans yesterday would have looked a lot different without them. The drawings are fairly hot off the press I believe. Not all the staff had seen them prior to yesterday.

The aim is to be completed by 2020.

Anyone with the chance to, is highly recommended to go up and have a look at the information available. Better to see them than spoil your weekend fretting or speculating.

Anyone with a few spare wads of serious cash feel free to drop them off in reception.

Stage 2 to be completed by 2020 too?

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
SwimWithTheTide":2bf7elxz said:
HC Green":2bf7elxz said:
The Grumpy Loyal":2bf7elxz said:

Pathetic.

Brent said: "We are looking at increasing the ground capacity from about 16,400 to around 20,000 and then having the ability to go further at an affordable cost."

Whereas the reality seems to be that the capacity will increase to around 17,500 and then having the ability to go further to 20,000 at an affordable cost.

Although all I've seen on here of supposed stage 1 capacity is fag packet maths based on some loose graphics. Hopefully a later more official release of plans states some figures and we can all be a bit more clear of what is happening.

I really like the look of the plans. The expansion of the grandstand to include greater hospitality function is essential for any club looking to progress and helps turn the stadium into a full time facility rather than solely for 25 odd games a season.

I just hope that we've not been duped in terms of capacity again though.
I presume the extension of a small second tier around the other three sides is still possible to be done at some point so the potential would still be there to increase the capacity further.

Jan 27, 2012
I have mixed feelings about this...

PROS
>This development will probably happen (unlike the other proposals)
> Its an improvement on the current situation
> Its not "boxed in" by other development (like hotels and retail) like Brent's original plans
> Does not appear to stifle future growth or expansion like Brent's original plans

CONS
> Will phase 2 actually happen and is it included in the £5 million budget ? (I doubt it)
> It is still going to be a small and dated looking grandstand, despite the refurbishment.
> The design seems a bit strange with a large blank wall at one end.
> Its probably going to be there for many decades to come so it would be nice to see something more inspiring.