Home Park Grandstand , Western Gate & HHP appln submitted | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Home Park Grandstand , Western Gate & HHP appln submitted

May 16, 2016
Mork":1da6nok1 said:
Pettgreen":1da6nok1 said:
I'm getting the impression amongst most that James Brent is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

I'm just glad that A, I have a club to support and B, There is clear progress on all fronts.

Finally, when the poo hits the fan in the markets, Argyle will one of the few able to weather the storm and that thought pleases me that I support a secure club.
OMG! Move on FFS.
We have a problem with parking as it is, I've bored people with threads on this previously. These plans will make this even worse. I hope the application fails. We don't need, require or want a hotel or ice rink, where facilities for our football club should be.

You hope it fails ? Fails because a bloke on the other side of the world couldn't park where and when he wanted before he emigrated to the Colonies - heard it all now !

Jul 29, 2012
I'm struggling with the suggestion that the hotel is being built on land that should be being utilised by the club . Can anyone clarify the basis of that suggestion.

Re the car parking , i get the concerns and it's entirely right to question it . The public car park is not quite as immediately close to the ground as the Chiefs but it's not a great distance and if anyone needs to be dropped closer to the ground because of a physical condition or weather conditions then there's bound to be a suitable dropping off area as that will be needed for taxis etc .

By losing the car park how many spaces are we actually losing ?Not as many as serve the Chiefs . With the park and ride car park and the Life centre car park - which is also free - there should be enough parking within a short walking distance . Ultimately the success of the conferencing facilities will depend on quality of food , service , facilities and price . If the Club delivers on that there is no reason why they shouldn't be successful.

Oct 31, 2015
Mork":2lku89pp said:
Pettgreen":2lku89pp said:
I'm getting the impression amongst most that James Brent is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

I'm just glad that A, I have a club to support and B, There is clear progress on all fronts.

Finally, when the poo hits the fan in the markets, Argyle will one of the few able to weather the storm and that thought pleases me that I support a secure club.
OMG! Move on FFS.
We have a problem with parking as it is, I've bored people with threads on this previously. These plans will make this even worse. I hope the application fails. We don't need, require or want a hotel or ice rink, where facilities for our football club should be.

Utter Joke of a reply. Why the OMG!!!!!!!!
Its not Argyles job to supply 100% parking adjacent to the ground for the saturday fans. There are plenty of buses which a lot of people catch and Parking in the area is ok compared to a lot of grounds. Even walking for those that live within a couple of mile radius. As for hoping the planning application fails that is ridiculous.

You probably have a valid point to make but wow interpersonal skills need refining.

One word for someone like you .................

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
callum_no7":1p3k00l3 said:
Ottawa Green":1p3k00l3 said:
I'm sure it is in there somewhere but I don't see anything about the number of seats in the rink. I don't see anything about the rink being able to be used for other purposes, ie basketball, trade shows, conventions, concerts etc.

From memory of my brief chat with the project manager at the consultation event; I think the seating capacity of the ice rink for ice hockey is due to be around 1,500. He wasn't 100% sure of the number but said Sport England had been involved and deemed it suitable. Not sure whether that meets the requirements for the EIHL for a professional team to use the rink as a home arena (Cardiff for example had 2,300 in their temporary tent thing) and I haven't been able to find out.

Converting ice rinks to basketball courts is very easy if its part of the design e.g the rink boards aren't permanently fixed.

As I said on another thread regarding the ice hockey rink issue, there are several teams in the EIHL who average less than 1000 fans per game, Edinburgh Capitals and Dundee Stars to name 2. Before they went out of business Hull Stingrays were managing on average crowds of around 500. Not sure if there is a minimum capacity requirement for the EIHL but I know that Milton Keynes Lightning, Dundee Stars, Guilford Flames and Manchester Storm all have capacities of under 2500. As I said on the previous post about this subject, I don't think the capacity issue is going to be the problem with Plymouth having an ice hockey team, the main obstacle in my opinion is that the 12 current EIHL have to vote on wether to accept a new team in the league or not, given that most EIHL stuggle financially with having Cardiff Devils as the furthest opponent already it makes me question wether any of the 4 Scottish EIHL teams would vote to accept a team from this far down south, the same could be said of Manchester storm, so that is 5 votes you would be losing straight away. Being a huge ice hockey fan though(massive Fife Flyers and Pittsburgh Penguins fan) I would love to see a locally based ice hockey team in the south west. My only other worry is wether ice hockey would be popular enough in Plymouth and the surrounding areas to sustain a top tier ice hockey team.

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Mork":okbkg9c3 said:
Pettgreen":okbkg9c3 said:

OMG! Move on FFS.

Plymouths loss is Australias gain. :twisted:

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Jul 14, 2008
Incredible that people complain about the parking situation. There is ample street parking within 10-15 minutes walk of the ground. Try going to places like Coventry away if you want to moan about parking

Dreamgreen

✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
Herts_Green":v9ueukkr said:
Incredible that people complain about the parking situation. There is ample street parking within 10-15 minutes walk of the ground. Try going to places like Coventry away if you want to moan about parking

Agreed I got a parking ticket when we played them in the league cup the last time we were there :furious:

Jul 29, 2012
I think the parking complaint is not so much about match day but about the parking on non match days when the conferencing/ banqueting facility will be used . Also whether the perceived lack of parking for the hotel will delay the planning consent as the planning app relates to both.

Apr 1, 2009
It's a pity that every thread of this nature get's dragged into this pro Brent / anti Brent war. I believe most people would rather judge each topic on its merits rather than being pigeon-holed into one extreme or the other. Why are the extremists of each wing unable to see that? Reading through the posts on this thread, there have actually been a number of well-argued contributions. We don't need either the "he's in it for himself", or the "he saved us" on every single thread. Comment on the topic, not on the man.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
xmastree":3sswsopw said:
It's a pity that every thread of this nature get's dragged into this pro Brent / anti Brent war. I believe most people would rather judge each topic on its merits rather than being pigeon-holed into one extreme or the other. Why are the extremists of each wing unable to see that? Reading through the posts on this thread, there have actually been a number of well-argued contributions. We don't need either the "he's in it for himself", or the "he saved us" on every single thread. Comment on the topic, not on the man.

Easier said than done.

I, for one, wholly reserve the right to "defend" Mr Brent whenever I feel the need to do so.

Andy_S":3nwajkw2 said:
xmastree":3nwajkw2 said:

Easier said than done.

I, for one, wholly reserve the right to "defend" Mr Brent whenever I feel the need to do so.

In a true democracy people should also have the right to "question" Mr Brent.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Chancellor":2hbpg5pp said:
Andy_S":2hbpg5pp said:
xmastree":2hbpg5pp said:

Easier said than done.

In a true democracy people should also have the right to "question" Mr Brent.

Please be kind enough to show me exactly where I have stated that they can't?

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
Andy_S":2cvgdco3 said:
IJN":2cvgdco3 said:
Plenty of parking there, that's for sure.

Sydney Olympic Park - home of Western Sydney Wanderers.

Parking (wait for this one...it's a doozy!)

You can pre-book for $25 a day or for an event it's $5 an hour.

http://www.sydneyolympicpark.com.au/parking

Sydney Olympic Park is a very impressive stadium indeed, better half is currently a season ticket holder at WSW until she moves over here next year, so I watch all their televised matches, they do however play at several stadiums over the course of the season. She is also a big Liverpool fan and saw our replay against them, she couldn't believe the atmosphere at Home park and can't wait to experience it for herself.