Home Park Grandstand , Western Gate & HHP appln submitted | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Home Park Grandstand , Western Gate & HHP appln submitted

E

Electronic

Quintrell_Green":3aka51gh said:
I agree with GC's submission that the lack of immediately adjacent parking spaces at HHP would be a negative feature in marketing the benefits of the new planned conferencing facility, especially as compared to the Sandy Park, Exeter set up. Nobody really wants to tramp in rainy conditions from the more distant Park & Ride Car Park especially if ladies are dressed in their best 'frocks'. There is also the feeling that can develop as to why I am being expected to pay car parking fees to a third party to attend a corporate event or dinner.

Here in Newquay we have a roughly similar situation at Fistral Beach Centre, where there is a pay by machine car park immediately adjacent to bars and restaurants. The unwary would think that the car parking comes for free, but not so, as Parking Eye prevails in robust fashion, much to the chagrin of tourists. In the past the leisure businesses have refunded car parking fees to bona fide customers, but this proved cumbersome. The Car Park is now offered for free after 6pm, which is a major improvement. I would hope that PCC can offer similar such free parking during the day as conferencing is an all day operation. This would help, but I feel that currently, logistical gaps exist in making the trading of the conference facilities the roaring success, it could be. I will follow this issue with interest.

Pretty worrying if the parking situation doesn't improve. Seems a basic requirement for success of the venture.

Penlee

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
Quintrell_Green":1e2rbrsq said:
I agree with GC's submission that the lack of immediately adjacent parking spaces at HHP would be a negative feature in marketing the benefits of the new planned conferencing facility, especially as compared to the Sandy Park, Exeter set up. Nobody really wants to tramp in rainy conditions from the more distant Park & Ride Car Park especially if ladies are dressed in their best 'frocks'. There is also the feeling that can develop as to why I am being expected to pay car parking fees to a third party to attend a corporate event or dinner.

Here in Newquay we have a roughly similar situation at Fistral Beach Centre, where there is a pay by machine car park immediately adjacent to bars and restaurants. The unwary would think that the car parking comes for free, but not so, as Parking Eye prevails in robust fashion, much to the chagrin of tourists. In the past the leisure businesses have refunded car parking fees to bona fide customers, but this proved cumbersome. The Car Park is now offered for free after 6pm, which is a major improvement. I would hope that PCC can offer similar such free parking during the day as conferencing is an all day operation. This would help, but I feel that currently, logistical gaps exist in making the trading of the conference facilities the roaring success, it could be. I will follow this issue with interest.

There's no free parking at Sandy Park even on non match days - it doesn't put off conference organisers (who often reimburse it themselves to attendees)

Jun 1, 2015
Pett, East Sussex
I'm getting the impression amongst most that James Brent is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

I'm just glad that A, I have a club to support and B, There is clear progress on all fronts.

Finally, when the poo hits the fan in the markets, Argyle will one of the few able to weather the storm and that thought pleases me that I support a secure club.

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
Pettgreen":6ayk9qjn said:
I'm getting the impression amongst most that James Brent is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

I'm just glad that A, I have a club to support and B, There is clear progress on all fronts.

Finally, when the poo hits the fan in the markets, Argyle will one of the few able to weather the storm and that thought pleases me that I support a secure club.

:clap: :clap:

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Pettgreen":2jxt3axz said:

:thumbs:

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
Pettgreen":5ucbmec8 said:

:scarf:

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
I understand the annoyance with the extreme anti Brent brigade who thrive on negativity based on no real substance on some issues but it's healthy to question certain decisions and look at things from a different prospective.

I welcome the difficult questions and try and see it from both opinions. Not everyone is out to just throw nasty poo his way. At the same time it's nice to recognise and applaud the good/great things they have achieved thus far.

G

Greenskin

Tugboat":tgkrlutu said:
I understand the annoyance with the extreme anti Brent brigade who thrive on negativity based on no real substance on some issues but it's healthy to question certain decisions and look at things from a different prospective.

I welcome the difficult questions and try and see it from both opinions. Not everyone is out to just throw nasty sh1te his way. At the same time it's nice to recognise and applaud the good/great things they have achieved thus far.

Exactly. Nobody can deny that Argyle have made very significant progress on the field in the last 6 years or so-two very good appointments in Sheridan, to turn the club around from the utterly dire and worsening situation under Fletcher, and Adams to take it a step further and due credit to Mr Brent and the board for that. But to suggest that the criteria for judging progress should start from the base of "being grateful to have a club" and that criticism or questioning should not be on the agenda is nonsense-might as well have said that McAuley or whoever should have been watertight as far as taking public flak was concerned purely because Argyle actually existed. Having duly acknowledged the progress on the field, from this point of view it is fair enough to point out the lack of progress in off field infrastructure-some of us well remember the divisive arguments both at fanbase and boardroom level the last time Argyle reached the second tier and wonder whether an opportunity is being missed to put the issue right,especially in comparison to other clubs of a similar history and status. It will be very interesting to see if the level of support for Mr Brent remains constant if the most recent proposals go the same way as previous manifestations, both Argyle and non Argyle related.

Mork

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Oct 18, 2013
Forster NSW
Pettgreen":181pyfle said:

OMG! Move on FFS.
We have a problem with parking as it is, I've bored people with threads on this previously. These plans will make this even worse. I hope the application fails. We don't need, require or want a hotel or ice rink, where facilities for our football club should be.

May 8, 2011
Mork":8y97goh5 said:
Pettgreen":8y97goh5 said:

OMG! Move on FFS.
We have a problem with parking as it is, I've bored people with threads on this previously. These plans will make this even worse. I hope the application fails. We don't need, require or want a hotel or ice rink, where facilities for our football club should be.

The one problem Argyle hasn't got is parking, the problem we have is that people take free parking on the doorstep as a right, so when it isn't there they moan.

If we have a parking problem how on earth do teams like Luton and Portsmouth manage?

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
HC Green":34kdiznh said:
Mork":34kdiznh said:
Pettgreen":34kdiznh said:

OMG! Move on FFS.

The one problem Argyle hasn't got is parking, the problem we have is that people take free parking on the doorstep as a right, so when it isn't there they moan.

If we have a parking problem how on earth do teams like Luton and Portsmouth manage?
buses. ;)

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
I share a lot of Tugboat's and Greenskin's thoughts in their posts. There is no harm in questioning, it is healthy, it is not always good to look at everything James Brent through completely green tinted glasses. Personally my slight cynicism and wariness is receding month by month as progress is being made both on the field and off the field. To see one of his grand plans actually come to fruition with a completed refurbished Mayflower stand will finally win me over I think. He has to be given credit for an awful lot during his tenure. The "ee saved us brigade" will never be won over, that is clear, but the rest of us can hopefully look forward to a brighter future for the club.
If we were to get regular 15,000 gates at a higher level then I am sure park and ride schemes and more buses could be utilised.

Aug 3, 2017
Mork":1i04kx3c said:
Pettgreen":1i04kx3c said:

OMG! Move on FFS.

I've always wondered...what does it feel like to be so obtuse?
The additional facilities, including conferencing, hotels and icerink and additional hospitality expand potential revenue streams, increasing the amount of money that passes through the club. Managed correctly this means more money which means a bigger budget.

While on match days parking is a premium, for the rest of the time there is ample parking. For the sake of about 18 Saturday's a two story carpark to increase space is useless and would bring in less revenues than the aforementioned.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Mork":javdcl27 said:
Pettgreen":javdcl27 said:

OMG! Move on FFS.

Every single large sporting venue has parking 'problems'. Its' what happens when tens of thousands of people converge on a small area of a city. Nothing to see here.

It's pretty easy to park near Home Park as it is, there's a park and ride on the doorstep, a train station a stone's throw away and various bus services. Some of which may be expanded if demand allows.

You have to be extremely obtuse to want the whole thing to fail, because of what you deem as inadequate parking.