I wish I saw them play! | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

I wish I saw them play!

Feb 22, 2008
bringonthemilkman":304xcr8s said:
......I did regularly get to see Butragueno, Gallego, Hugo Sanchez, Santillana and Chendo though.

Bugger I missed them, when did they play for Argyle...........

Who can forget the one and only Brian Hall!

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Far too good a brain for the players in the team around him.

He'd make a brilliant pass, the only problem was, no one was there to receive it.

Another time when I really thought we were going places.

Feb 22, 2008
I have to agree.

I remember being made up when we signed him, the original marque signing, but we ended up relegated!

Even harder to take when expectations were the opposite.

Jul 6, 2011
Cornish Chris":2653gno5 said:
Mariner and Rafferty.

There are plenty of Argyle players who I have seen play and wish I hadn't.....

That promotion season was my first at Home park, think I got spoilt that year and have been mostly disappointed since :lol:
Spoke to Jim Furnell just after I left school, he was a great guy who always had time for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuR5AgTEU7Q

Dec 21, 2010
I too hsd that feeling about Paul 'I'd have walked to Home Park' Mariner IJN. Those of us who had seen him in the reserve games were praying he'd get his debut soon. He took the opportunity with both hands, both feet and his head !

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I never watched the reserves AD (still don't) but I had a mate who did, and he waxed lyrical about him at the time.

I still remember that 'lightning moment' during the Rochdale game when you just knew we had, at last something special.

Great times and when Rafferty came from Blackpool, we all knew we would get promoted.

I remember going to games knowing we would score. Hereford, Bournemouth and Blackburn to name just a few.

One day again perhaps....................

G

Greenskin

Yer's a bit of Mariner for all of those who wish they'd seen him.Not in an Argyle shirt unfortunately but fairly conclusive as to his talent;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA0KCA6wpQg

My grandfather,who supported the club from Southern league days, was adamant that Mariner was the best player ever to play for the club bar none [Sammy Black,Ray Bowden,Jack Leslie etc included] and i've certainly seen nothing better since.Having said that i'd still loved to have seen those players in action,David Jack was another who went on to big things after leaving Argyle.Jimmy Gauld was slightly before my time,apparently he was quite an entertainer-other greats would be people like McAnearney,Tadman,Chisholm,too many to mention really.Just broadening the issue a bit,i'd have paid a lot of money to watch Don Bradman bat-a phenomenal,once in history talent.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Good shout on Tadman, Mr Skin, I'd like to add him to my list.

I like to add Barry Silkman as well. Only 16 games but by jove, I'll never forget the feeling of pride when someone that good was playing in green. I'm glancing up at the shirt now, signed by him last year. :greensmile:

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
i have had the honour of watching bickle,mariner,rafferty tynan etc etc and it truly is a privilege.my father used to enthuse about moses russell,ray bowden and maurice tadman so it this these three i wish i had seen because of my late fathers enthusiasm. :thumbup:

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
I didn't realise IJN was such a "Johnny come lately" ;)

I've been watching since 1961 and Mariner was easily the best player we have had in all that time. I have said it on here before, he was consistently the best player on the pitch, no matter who we played, or the result. He was special.

I have seen, as a number of others have said, some very good and some equally bad Argyle players in my time, home and away. Each era had some of equal measure.

Some of the good ones included ...
Defenders like Coughlan, Newman, Molyneaux, Morrison, Bason...
Midfielders like Piper, Collins, Randell, Burnside, Silkman ...
Forwards like Tynan, Kemp, Kirkby, Mitten ...

But of them all the one I wished I was old enough to give the kind of scrutiny I could give to most of the above, was Johnny Williams. I knew he was good. I am not sure just how good.

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
bringonthemilkman":2u9slpjs said:
I've seen Mike Bickle, Norman Piper. Jim Furnell, Don Hutchins, Hugh Mcauley, Mariner, Rafferty, Machin & Tynan.
I never saw David Friio nor the rest of the promotion teams as I was living in Spain from 1986 to 2004 so I feel like I've missed out when everybody on here brings up that successful period of our history......I did regularly get to see Butragueno, Gallego, Hugo Sanchez, Santillana and Chendo though.
I thought they were types of wine :whistle:

Andy in Peverell

🚑 Steve Hooper
Sep 15, 2009
Peverell
Lads in work say Barry Silkman was superb but unfortunately before my time.

I started with Dave Smiths promotion team so at least I had the privilege of Tommy Tynan in his pomp.