I wish I saw them play! | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

I wish I saw them play!

May 5, 2014
An appropriate thread for my first post.My granddad first took me to Argyle in 1960 and he always reckoned Sammy Black was Argyles best ever player so I would liked to have seen him to compare him to Johnny Williams who for me was the best! To see Johnny put one in from 25-30 yards was something special! It used to be said at the time that Ted Phillips of Ipswich Town had the hardest shot, clearly they never saw Johnny play!

Feb 15, 2005
Plymouth
David Jack and Sammy Black for me. Since 1959 my favourites have to be Mariner (miles out in front). I saw his first game in the reserves and told my brother he would play for England one day. He said it was impossible to say that but I stood firm in my belief.

Ernie Machin, Tynan, Wilf Carter, Barry Jones, Silkman, Gary Nelson and Nicky Jennings, in that order, are my stand out players since 1959.

Adam

Pasoti Designer
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 5, 2010
Pete Anderson.

My fiancee's Grandfather is his best friend and won't shut up about how good he was.

Feb 15, 2005
Plymouth
Adam Dyer":1wojh3j2 said:
Pete Anderson.

My fiancee's Grandfather is his best friend and won't shut up about how good he was.

Was a decent right winger with Ken (Bugsy) Malone on the left, Carter and Kirby /Gould in central attack. Was a good time as a supporter. John Williams, Newman, Fincham, Robertson, Fulton and Dave Maclaren in goal were also good memories from that team.
:sigh:

E

Every Saturday

The one I would have loved to have seen was Sammy Black (because my old Dad always used to say how good he was)

He used to rate Wilf Carter too

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
graiser":1ilqwseb said:
I started watching argyle 1960 so for me it's Jumbo Chisolm

This thread seems to have lost its' focus between the best players seen, and those PASOTI members would have liked to have seen. As Chisholm packed up playing for Argyle circa 1955, I assume you have kept faith with the thread's title

Jan 27, 2012
I understand that the 1950s team was one of the best ever.

Then there were the successful teams of the 1920s and 1930s which featured many long-forgotten heroes.

... and going back further again it seems like Argyle had some classy players in their even earlier years.

If you read Harley Lawer's excellent Argyle Classics book you'll read all about it and see their photos. Its the best Argyle book my a mile. In those days Argyle seemed like a much bigger fish than it is now and the city was buzzing with energy.

Feb 25, 2008
Do you think in years to come people will talk about how lucky we must have been to see Norris / Friio / Buszaky / Halmosi / Scott Sinclair ?

Anyway to answer the question I wish I had seen Mariner and also more of Tynan (my 1st Argyle game age 7 was one of his last).

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Would have to be Mariner.

Others I wished I'd seen would be Rafferty, Furnell, Machin, Newman, Williams, Chisholm, Black, Leslie.

C

centrallondongreen

My dad, as a teenager at Home Park during the game against I believe Stoke City, circa 62/63.
Up against Sir Stanley Mathews. Have been told he marked Sir Stan out of the game.
That said I think Stanley was knocking on at that point. :scarf:

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
centrallondongreen":2j8xwdyc said:
My dad, as a teenager at Home Park during the game against I believe Stoke City, circa 62/63.
Up against Sir Stanley Mathews. Have been told he marked Sir Stan out of the game.

i think he was 48 ish at the time. I was there that day.

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
centrallondongreen":29vu2b29 said:

That would be Richard Davis, I think and yes, he did have a good game against Sir Stan. As you say the "Maestro" was nearing fifty by then though.

C

centrallondongreen

Kernow 19, Spot on.
Having seen many great player since about 80- present, I suppose that game would have been good from a personal point of view. were you there?

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
centrallondongreen":2tzj10s7 said:
Kernow 19, Spot on.
Having seen many great player since about 80- present, I suppose that game would have been good from a personal point of view. were you there?

Yes, I was there and pleased I had the privilege of seeing one of the all time greats play. I seem to recall your dad really crunched the great man early doors and didn't have a lot of trouble with him after that. :thumbs:

Feb 15, 2005
Plymouth
Dreamgreen":2gd77omp said:
centrallondongreen":2gd77omp said:

i think he was 48 ish at the time. I was there that day.

I was there also. I seem to remember it being Reeves.