I wish I saw them play! | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

I wish I saw them play!

Sep 30, 2004
argyleapf":36ejhi3e said:
Dreamgreen":36ejhi3e said:
centrallondongreen":36ejhi3e said:
My dad, as a teenager at Home Park during the game against I believe Stoke City, circa 62/63.
Up against Sir Stanley Mathews. Have been told he marked Sir Stan out of the game.
That said I think Stanley was knocking on at that point. :scarf:

i think he was 48 ish at the time. I was there that day.

I was there also. I seem to remember it being Reeves.

I was there as well, at the back of the Lyndy,good size crowd,many of us went to see the legend that was Sir Stan as well as the gyles.

P

Plymouth-Spurs

Ive seen Watto play a little last year, but would of liked to see the "Legendary" Watto of the past. The one I heard took blinding free kicks and screamed at team mates if they did things wrong. Would of also liked to seen a striker of S-E-B quality when you where in the championship.

Overall I have been honoured to of watched the current Argyle team over the past 18months.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
argyleapf":3ci89go7 said:
Dreamgreen":3ci89go7 said:
centrallondongreen":3ci89go7 said:
My dad, as a teenager at Home Park during the game against I believe Stoke City, circa 62/63.
Up against Sir Stanley Mathews. Have been told he marked Sir Stan out of the game.
That said I think Stanley was knocking on at that point. :scarf:

i think he was 48 ish at the time. I was there that day.

I was there also. I seem to remember it being Reeves.

Yes, it was March 1963 and in fact Argyle had a very young defence of Buckingham, Reeves Davis and Roberts, led by John Newman. I was there as a kid and I seem to recall it was Richard Davis who played right back marking the 48 year old Matthews. Other stars of Stoke on the day included Denis Violet ex Man Utd and England, Jimmy Mudie, ex Blackpool and Jimmy McIlroy, ex Burnley' First Division Championship team and N I International. The game stands out also for the fact the Home Park pitch was attacked overnight Fri/Sat and the words, 'Freedom from Hunger' was painted on the turf. It was partially removed during the morning of the match and the ground sanded. I attended with a school friend who became a future Communications Director of FIFA. One could see that Matthews was very skilful in bringing a ball under control but Richard Davis was nearly 30 years younger and was able to outrun Stanley.

This was the second time I saw Stanley M grace the hallowed turf of Home Park. I was taken as an even smaller kid to see Blackpool's 1953 FA Cup Winning team inaugurate the first floodlights at Home Park in an evening match during the following season to the Cup win.

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
Quintrell_Green":rcc2pctq said:
I attended with a school friend who became a future Communications Director of FIFA.

Which would have been Keith Cooper, no mean sportsman in his own right. Keith was a year ahead of me at Sir Jim's, so we would have been pretty much contemporaries, QG :)

May 31, 2010
Plymouth
My dad took me to see the great Stanley Matthews in the Blackpool friendly on 22nd March 1954. I seem to remember he was not too happy because Matthews touched the ball no more than half a dozen times. I've got the score recorded as a 4-1 win to Argyle so perhaps my memory is right.

McQ

May 10, 2005
Plymouth
Gauld and Carter for me. My dad tells me that gauld would dribble into the area beating many as he went. He would be fouled and Carter would scorer the penalty.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
McQ":1v95014m said:
Gauld and Carter for me. My dad tells me that gauld would dribble into the area beating many as he went. He would be fouled and Carter would scorer the penalty.

That was about it for Gauld. A very talented player but sadly got caught up in match fixing, although I do not think anything was pinned on him during his Argyle period. I just hope of course, he never bet on a penalty being awarded to Argyle in a particular half of a match. I do not think bookies took that type of bet in those days.

Leo's Grandad

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 18, 2011
Sunny Plymouth
My dad always talks about how good Johnny Williams was and that he never got his chance to play for one of the really top teams. Terry Stacey was a good friend of my dad and apparently all the argyle players around late 50's early 60's used to come around and get their washing done. Apparently I used to have a kick around with them in the back court - I was too young to remember that but maybe that's where the green tint on life started...