Idiot during Saturday's minute silence | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Idiot during Saturday's minute silence

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I was in the Stand Ian, and I remember seeing the panic on some of the coppers. Far too many in the Clock End.

Bristol City away in the FA Cup (2-2 I think) was the worst I can remember. We came our of Ashton Gate and were herded by police horses into a red brick lane, then they decided to kettle us by charging at both ends of the lane. I thought I was going to die that day, I really did. Not being able to breath in a crush of people was a ferrying feeling.

dunlop

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
I can remember when I was 6/7 years old being down the front against the railings at the Devenport end when it use to get packed regularly when Argyle scored there was a surge forward by the fans and it was quite scary.

E

Every Saturday

That FA Cup game at Bristol City there were about 6000 of us jammed into a relatively small pen near the corner of the away end. There were several long surges when Argyle attacked when you moved about 10/15 yards from where you had just been standing

Oct 15, 2013
Reading some of these posts and being reminded of how things used to be makes me realise that Hillsborough was an accident waiting to happen as opposed to the deliberate actions of some bent officials as it's often portrayed.
It's horrifying to think that it used to be the norm for thousands of fans to be squeezed into pens with metal railings and no way out in a crush.
It was a different world back then. Young people of today would be horrified to find out that in the not too distant past we rode in train carriages you could open yourself when the train was still moving! It was widespread and the norm. The mere notion of it seems absurd by todays standards of health and safety.

It's a different world today and much of it is shaped by having learned the hard way.

dunlop

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
IJN":42ejvsgv said:
Who scored Mike, Septimus Attlebury?

Haha I think Maurice Tadman scored a few, we got promotion that season I think.

Feb 25, 2007
St Blazey
The...what about Bradford comment was made by someone wish clear issues. He was told exactly what was thought of him by another bloke and even his mate had a word at half time. Just no real thought with these kind of people. But then again he won't be sadly missed to much when he passes away one would imagine.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
UncleBuck":1td1sqlg said:
Reading some of these posts and being reminded of how things used to be makes me realise that Hillsborough was an accident waiting to happen as opposed to the deliberate actions of some bent officials as it's often portrayed.
It's horrifying to think that it used to be the norm for thousands of fans to be squeezed into pens with metal railings and no way out in a crush.
It was a different world back then. Young people of today would be horrified to find out that in the not too distant past we rode in train carriages you could open yourself when the train was still moving! It was widespread and the norm. The mere notion of it seems absurd by todays standards of health and safety.

It's a different world today and much of it is shaped by having learned the hard way.
No-one said it was deliberate. It was incompetent, heavy handed and mismanaged. What WAS deliberate was the cover-up which came after, though.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
PL2 3DQ":26yupuxj said:
We nearly had our own "Hillsborough" in the FA Cup game against Arsenal at Highbury in 1987. That was scary.

Hundreds and hundreds of Argyle fans kept pouring into that packed away end, it was chaos, made worse by a (I think) late train from Plymouth which brought even more fans.

Can anyone remember being in that away end?
Like it was yesterday and I really feared for my life at one point with the stewards ignoring screams and shouts from people to let them over the barrier onto the track or open up the adjoining empty section. Eventually they relented but it was almost too late.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
LG":1y9cyf6d said:
And of corse there was the Hawthorns in the FA Cup run too.
That was a little crowded.

Yes, that was bad as well. It was a steep away end and you just swayed with the crowd, you had no chance of standing still. It went nuts when Tommy scored.

The only time I've been in life threatening situations (apart from the usual flying, driving etc) is when I've been watching Argyle! :shock:

Oct 15, 2013
jerryatricjanner":1ko1rz0t said:
PL2 3DQ":1ko1rz0t said:
We nearly had our own "Hillsborough" in the FA Cup game against Arsenal at Highbury in 1987. That was scary.

Hundreds and hundreds of Argyle fans kept pouring into that packed away end, it was chaos, made worse by a (I think) late train from Plymouth which brought even more fans.

Like it was yesterday and I really feared for my life at one point with the stewards ignoring screams and shouts from people to let them over the barrier onto the track or open up the adjoining empty section. Eventually they relented but it was almost too late.

Sounds just like that scene from Titanic where the 3rd class passengers are held below decks behind locked gates with the stewards ignoring the cries to let them out.

Thank god there has been some good to come out of Hillsborough with fans now treated as valued customers rather than a throng of hooligans needing to be penned in.

May 16, 2005
Elburton
PL2 3DQ":2iwhfd70 said:

Yes, I was there with my stepfather. We got separated and I was really worried about him. Then, after what seemed like hours, I saw dozens of fans, including him, being led to the adjacent vacant pen.

It had been well publicised that we would have 10000 fans there but somehow Arsenal weren't prepared. The Daily Telegraph described Arsenal as a first division club with third division organisation.

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
kernow19":1owqioi9 said:
IJN":1owqioi9 said:
That's why the applause idea is a far better one.

I agree that a minute's applause would be fine if you are remembering the life of a former servant of the club or similar, but I don't think it would really be appropriate to mark the magnitude of what happened at Hillsborough.
It's a shame there always seem to be idiots who can't/won't respect it.

I agree.

A minutes silence is far more poignant.