Is Derek the right manager? | Page 23 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Is Derek the right manager?

Sep 6, 2006
justanotherfan":2vnl8pyh said:
Knibbsworth":2vnl8pyh said:
pafcidg":2vnl8pyh said:
Now is the time to do a Keegan at Newcastle ! Put three up top if they score 2 lets get 3, try something different that would at least entertain the fans. Gamble for a change instead of this boring 1 up front !

There are not enough goals in this side for that.

We are out of a the worst football cup in recent history and people are losing their minds.

Taylor and Threlkeld being available could be a massive influence on our first team in the next two months.

We have been clawing back at the gap, it would be bizarre to jeopardise points going all out attack. If we keep doing what we are doing (and with Taylor at number 9, do it better), we will stay up.

Fans need to drop the expectations about playing great incisive football and realise we need to do whatever it takes at this stage to stay up.

There is a reason that Allardyce and Pulis have outstanding records for keeping confidence depleted sides up. They keep the defence solidified, concentrate on keeping goals out as a priority, and drive the importance of shape, as opposed to trying three up front fluid all out attacking football.

So, by your admission there are not enough goals in this team - agree 100%, we need to rely on our defence to deny our opponents goal scoring opportunities, look at our goal difference - 100% disagree.

Knibsworth comes on here every day on every thread with the same old tired arguments as an Adams apologist. In fact I am not convinced he isn't Adams. Also I suspect he doesn't go to that many games, just spends all his time looking at graphs so why would he care how bad the product is on the pitch.

Sep 25, 2010
Balham_Green":cpv4iuc3 said:
justanotherfan":cpv4iuc3 said:
Knibbsworth":cpv4iuc3 said:
pafcidg":cpv4iuc3 said:
Now is the time to do a Keegan at Newcastle ! Put three up top if they score 2 lets get 3, try something different that would at least entertain the fans. Gamble for a change instead of this boring 1 up front !

There are not enough goals in this side for that.

We are out of a the worst football cup in recent history and people are losing their minds.

Taylor and Threlkeld being available could be a massive influence on our first team in the next two months.

We have been clawing back at the gap, it would be bizarre to jeopardise points going all out attack. If we keep doing what we are doing (and with Taylor at number 9, do it better), we will stay up.

Fans need to drop the expectations about playing great incisive football and realise we need to do whatever it takes at this stage to stay up.

There is a reason that Allardyce and Pulis have outstanding records for keeping confidence depleted sides up. They keep the defence solidified, concentrate on keeping goals out as a priority, and drive the importance of shape, as opposed to trying three up front fluid all out attacking football.

So, by your admission there are not enough goals in this team - agree 100%, we need to rely on our defence to deny our opponents goal scoring opportunities, look at our goal difference - 100% disagree.

Knibsworth comes on here every day on every thread with the same old tired arguments as an Adams apologist. In fact I am not convinced he isn't Adams. Also I suspect he doesn't go to that many games, just spends all his time looking at graphs so why would he care how bad the product is on the pitch.

BG comes on here every day, on every thread with the same old tired arguments as an Adams hater. In fact I am not convinced he isn't Warnock or similar. Also I suspect he doesn't go to many games, and sits on his sofa watching TV. , so why would WE care what he thinks or says, about Argyle.

Jul 13, 2006
pearces greens":1ixua5vi said:
My mind might be playing tricks on me, but I'm sure when Mr Adams was introduced to the crowd at the Devonport end one evening when he first took the job, he said he was an entertaining manager who would look to outscore the opposition, ie if they score 3 we will go for 4. Or was he just saying what we wanted to hear.
Yes, and not only that, did not James Brent say we were going to appoint a manager who played attacking football. Or did I just imagine it?

Apr 5, 2008
Didn’t he play attacking football at Ross County and then changed it when they started to struggle ?

Yet since here ,he has always set Argyle to play defensive football. :facepalm:

Mar 14, 2009
moles40":1w70xxl7 said:
Didn’t he play attacking football at Ross County and then changed it when they started to struggle ?

Yet since here ,he has always set Argyle to play defensive football. :facepalm:

Not quite true.

At the start of his reign Argyle were more a front foot team.

Pre-season for example. Away to Forest Green Rovers Argyle were 3-0 after 20 mins. He changed it tactically and we came roaring back to win 5-3. It was only a pre-season friendly but an indication that Adams could play attacking football and be able to get the side to react when behind.

There are even examples of results like Barnet at home and Hartlepool away in that first 6 months where he managed to get wins from being behind.

Yet he has changed. His postive talking has turned into mind numbing politican style speeches where you shaking your head saying "Did he really say that"? His interpretation of the games are sometimes cringeworthy. Like us being the better side. Being the more attacking side when we had no cutting edge. Or not being troubled defensively even though we're left wondering how the opposition didn't score.

Unfortunately that enthusiasm he made me feel about Argyle is slowly evaporating into a stone, cold hard truth that he has lost his way and doesn't seem to know how to change things around.

Nice bloke. Works damn hard. Cares for the club. Just unfortunate that we are witnessing the slow decaying of his Argyle team.

Jul 12, 2016
Seconded MGM.I also think that DA is being over ambious with his tactics.I believe he is trying to replicate the style of football adopted by some top sides with mediocre players.

Mar 27, 2013
BIDEFORD NORTH DEVON
Time to focus on Saturdays Big FA Cup tie at Bradford City

Massive opportunity to get into The 3rd Round and we remember the good times last season vs Liverpool

Players returning from injury is a postive one

In Adams We Trust !

COYGs

Sep 6, 2006
oldage":3re26ffm said:
Seconded MGM.I also think that DA is being over ambious with his tactics.I believe he is trying to replicate the style of football adopted by some top sides with mediocre players.

I take it that is not serious right?

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Balham_Green":so9ono1a said:
oldage":so9ono1a said:

I think he means that we're trying to play like an Atletico Madrid or Spurs, i.e. numbers behind the ball then launching regular counter attacks with quality.

Obviously when the quality isn't there, it can just look like we're just getting numbers behind the ball.

DA said words to the effect of that's how he likes to play, a couple of weeks ago.

Sep 6, 2006
Biggs":1m952cg4 said:
Balham_Green":1m952cg4 said:
oldage":1m952cg4 said:

I think he means that we're trying to play like an Atletico Madrid or Spurs, i.e. numbers behind the ball then launching regular counter attacks with quality.

Obviously when the quality isn't there, it can just look like we're just getting numbers behind the ball.

DA said words to the effect of that's how he likes to play, a couple of weeks ago.

Funny that. Trying to play like Madrid or Spurs. :funny: I would say more like Torquay. To play like Spurs you have to try to keep possession for a start.

Apr 5, 2008
Biggs":21str61y said:
Balham_Green":21str61y said:
oldage":21str61y said:

Sounds good on paper,but isn’t our counter attacking just hoofing the ball towards the lone striker ,as soon as we get the ball from the opposition when we are defending

If thats what DA thinks is counter attacking with quality,maybe he should apply for the Spurs and Real Madrid jobs when they become available :funny:

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
Biggs":8mp5ek9c said:
Balham_Green":8mp5ek9c said:
oldage":8mp5ek9c said:

Dress it up any way you like it's still dull.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Biggs":1snpe5nu said:
Balham_Green":1snpe5nu said:
oldage":1snpe5nu said:

So, is he unaware of the 'quality' void? :think:

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Leon Horn":2pnibiyb said:
All I want to do is just see us go for it, especially at home.

I hope Derek Adams can fulfill that.

The question being how much longer can we give him to try.

No point getting to march and saying ‘yeah, he’s still not doing it’.