Jack Payne (in talks, possibly) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Jack Payne (in talks, possibly)

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Yes you're right.

Reading what Rueben's agent had to say yesterday only confirms it.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
He'd be mad not to sign else where and get off my freaking wage bill more like!!

He also says the player doesn't want to move down to L2 so we shouldn't get our hopes up

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Quintrell_Green":2jjhc6eu said:
If he comes, I wonder if he will bring his Big Band with him?

I see now, that he sadly died in 1969, so the thought is very belated. Sorry!
Must be a generational thing because I had exactly the same thought. There was another band leader around at the same time who many thought later became Prime Minister!

Nov 14, 2014
Jack Payne was apparently not the most popular bandleader. There was an (old-money) joke that he said "Has anyone got threepence - I need to phone one of my friends" & one of his bandsmen said "Here's sixpence. Call them both!"

Jan 3, 2013
memory man":2ntgajpg said:
Quintrell_Green":2ntgajpg said:
If he comes, I wonder if he will bring his Big Band with him?

I see now, that he sadly died in 1969, so the thought is very belated. Sorry!
Must be a generational thing because I had exactly the same thought. There was another band leader around at the same time who many thought later became Prime Minister!

Ted Heath!

Topboy

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Oct 2, 2003
Plympton
cawsandchap":1p47fw1e said:
Jack Payne was apparently not the most popular bandleader. There was an (old-money) joke that he said "Has anyone got threepence - I need to phone one of my friends" & one of his bandsmen said "Here's sixpence. Call them both!"
Made I chuckle!!!

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
cawsandchap":n1omz4i6 said:

:lol:

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Well he does have experience and we do need a leader. I don't see any candidates in the squad at present apart from one of the new defenders perhaps.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
jerryatricjanner":3m53tbvl said:
Well he does have experience and we do need a leader. I don't see any candidates in the squad at present apart from one of the new defenders perhaps.

There's a couple of things that alarm me about this, if true...

1, it's slightly worrying that we are having to persuade players to join by offering captaincy. Will his heart be fully in it?

2, I remember Peter Swan joining us and immediately becoming the captain...that one didn't work out too well!

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Emu":21eik8sa said:
jerryatricjanner":21eik8sa said:

1, it's slightly worrying that we are having to persuade players to join by offering captaincy. Will his heart be fully in it?

2, I remember Peter Swan joining us and immediately becoming the captain...that one didn't work out too well!

If his heart isn't in it, why would he give a flying stuff whether he becomes Club Captain or not? :think:

Peter Swan?? Now you have to wash yer mouth out you potty mouthed boy!! :furious:

Topboy

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Oct 2, 2003
Plympton
Remember in the Shilts day when all he seemed to do was sign captains from other clubs?

Happy days even though we won bugger all!

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Emu":1a02jfn9 said:
jerryatricjanner":1a02jfn9 said:

1. Surely being made Captain with the added responsibility would get the most out of a player.

2. Gerry McIlliney and Mick Heathcote were both appointed Captain after signing and they didn't do too bad. Rumour had it that if Argyle were losing at HT, Big Gerry would be going around the dressing room threatening his team mates what he would do to them if he didn't get his win bonus, as that was his beer money on a Saturday night!