Just back (anyone?) | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Just back (anyone?)

Jan 27, 2012
Why do Argyle have to desperately defend all the time ? Is it because Adams considers our attacking players not to be good enough ?

Its not like this tactic is working- have a look at the league table.

Its also very boring to watch.

Feb 8, 2005
gaspargomez":9bsqnpaf said:
Why do Argyle have to desperately defend all the time ? Is it because Adams considers our attacking players not to be good enough ?

Our target this season is to survive the drop.

Don't expect fast flowing attacking football. 1 nils will do until we can consolidate further.

Aug 2, 2011
Guiri Green":242iqi4p said:
djg145":242iqi4p said:
MAYBE we actually play better as a team without Carey, just saying, maybe having him in the team, everyone is expected to pass or find him, instead of playing to their own strengths, after all it is a team game, and one man never makes a team.

My thoughts exactly. I had similar thoughts about having Ruben Reid up front. Both were, in a way, our Achilles heel.

Reid scored approx 40 goals in two seasons - so that makes him an Achilles heel!

May 8, 2011
gaspargomez":ud1fob4s said:

Argyle tend to defend when the other team attack, that is the best way to stop goals being scored.

Saturday was certainly not boring.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
We haven't got the money nor the appeal to sign the same standard of player that other clubs in this league do, therefore we need to know our limitations and play to protect our vulnerabilities, which we do, to open up & try to play free flowing attacking football would be dangerous in a season when the aim needs to be survival.

Also, to those people saying our style of play isn't working because of the league table, odd thing to say considering we're six unbeaten & we're one of the form teams in the league, why are you so desperate to change the system which is currrntly bringing us an upturn in form? There's a chance we could still be in the bottom 3 if we won our next 5 on the bounce, would you still want the system to change?

We are turning a corner, in every game that goes by results & performances are becoming more promising, we're looking more like a unit. A few too many people still seem to be harking back to 6 or 7 games ago & still seem to think we're stuck in that rut, focus on now.

May 16, 2016
Presto":b7xeo4eo said:
Guiri Green":b7xeo4eo said:
djg145":b7xeo4eo said:
MAYBE we actually play better as a team without Carey, just saying, maybe having him in the team, everyone is expected to pass or find him, instead of playing to their own strengths, after all it is a team game, and one man never makes a team.

My thoughts exactly. I had similar thoughts about having Ruben Reid up front. Both were, in a way, our Achilles heel.

Reid scored approx 40 goals in two seasons - so that makes him an Achilles heel!

Well, yes, because when neither of those two were on form but still playing, we struggled. Mark Carey out of a game, pump every long ball to a misfiring Reid and our chances were limited.

Jul 12, 2016
So last year we adopted these tactics to get promoted and this year to stop being relegated.Seems to me we are stuck with this style of play whilst DA remains in charge regardless.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
gaspargomez":ionohf3g said:

But it IS working - have a look at the form table.

Aug 2, 2011
Guiri Green":28k5ajx0 said:
Presto":28k5ajx0 said:
Guiri Green":28k5ajx0 said:
djg145":28k5ajx0 said:

Well, yes, because when neither of those two were on form but still playing, we struggled. Mark Carey out of a game, pump every long ball to a misfiring Reid and our chances were limited.

Every player misfires on occasions but a striker who bangs in 20 goals a season is not an Achilles heel.

May 4, 2015
Biggs":3n0l1ala said:
gaspargomez":3n0l1ala said:

All of our scorelines have been binary. 1-0's, 1-1's or 0-0's, I'd hardly say that things are working. As soon as a team scores first it is game over as Derek's game-plan is out the window and we don't have the players or the Plan B to change things.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Jose446":2hnzkpgu said:
Biggs":2hnzkpgu said:

All of our scorelines have been binary. 1-0's, 1-1's or 0-0's, I'd hardly say that things are working. As soon as a team scores first it is game over as Derek's game-plan is out the window and we don't have the players or the Plan B to change things.

I'll just repeat the post again... whether it's 1-0s or 5-0s, currently our game plan IS working. That's a fact.

Did you expect us to go from being battered and receiving red cards like confetti every week, to suddenly putting on attacking masterclasses? Football doesn't work like that.

DA has turned it around by getting the basics right again, signing Diagouraga and re-laying the foundations on which to build the rest of the season. Not sexy, but necessary given our predicament. The 'binary' scores are surely to be celebrated, compared with the scorelines that came before.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
FattyBolger":4b2s8df7 said:
Effective DA's tactics may be. Soothing on the nerves they most certainly are not!

So not boring, then? :silent: :lol:

Sep 25, 2003
Carbis Bay
Cobi Budge":x1zefrol said:
We haven't got the money nor the appeal to sign the same standard of player that other clubs in this league do

Disagree about the appeal, we are historically one of the bigger sides at this level and should generally be pushing for the top 6

May 4, 2015
Biggs":38owqhqt said:
Jose446":38owqhqt said:
Biggs":38owqhqt said:

I'll just repeat the post again... whether it's 1-0s or 5-0s, currently our game plan IS working. That's a fact.

Did you expect us to go from being battered and receiving red cards like confetti every week, to suddenly putting on attacking masterclasses? Football doesn't work like that.

DA has turned it around by getting the basics right again, signing Diagouraga and re-laying the foundations on which to build the rest of the season. Not sexy, but necessary given our predicament. The 'binary' scores are surely to be celebrated, compared with the scorelines that came before.
We can only go so long scoring the first goal, or hanging on for a 0-0.

When a team inevitably gets the first goal, then we will see how good the game plan is