Just back (anyone?) | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Just back (anyone?)

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Carey has looked better since Sawyer has gone to right-back - because Sawyer actually overlaps (and underlaps), taking a man away and leaving Carey one-on-one against an opposition defender, where he's been lethal.

Earlier in the season Carey had Miller behind him, who I can only ever remember overlapping and reaching the opposition byline once. Opposition teams knew this and therefore, knowing Miller would pose no threat, double-marked Carey, meaning he was nullified.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
samjones":2f2owk55 said:
Next 2 home games are critical and nothing less than 4 pts is still required

And there I was thinking that 3 points per every 2 games for the rest of the season will see us comfortably safe in mid-table.

Silly me.

Nov 2, 2004
It seems to have become a Pasoti fact that Carey was playing poorly in the first few games. That's not the way I see it.He was playing well,most of the others were crap.He may have had one poor game but that was it.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
As an aside, just watched the Channel 5 Goal Rush from Saturday and our result was described as an 'I was there' moment for the Green Army...

Beating Bradford an 'I was there moment'? Really?

Nov 16, 2006
themightykeithfear":2vi9m2l2 said:
Dan Ellard":2vi9m2l2 said:
Carey has looked better since Sawyer has gone to right-back - because Sawyer actually overlaps (and underlaps), taking a man away and leaving Carey one-on-one against an opposition defender, where he's been lethal.

Earlier in the season Carey had Miller behind him, who I can only ever remember overlapping and reaching the opposition byline once. Opposition teams knew this and therefore, knowing Miller would pose no threat, double-marked Carey, meaning he was nullified.

Good point , you turn round and you see windy Miller behind you, its no wonder GC10 was not at his best in the early part of the season

Re Miller being part of the “Carey problem”...how many times was Carey on the right hand side of attack with Miller behind him? Totally agree that Miller is not an overlapping full back and that having one creates space for the wid attacker, but I thought Carey played more games at no.10 earlier in the season?...credit to Adams for moving him out there?

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Dan Ellard":31946ybg said:

Interesting thought actually.

Can't be many teams around whose full backs are both left footed and the two flank men are left footed (Carey and Grant).

From a personal left-handed viewpoint, nice to see though. :)

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Biggs":8q6k63te said:
As an aside, just watched the Channel 5 Goal Rush from Saturday and our result was described as an 'I was there' moment for the Green Army...

I have to own up to being as out of step with your view as Channel 5 are. I happen to think they were right in what they said. As the referee blew his whistle I felt exactly the same way. Indeed, I may have said as much to my son or others around us, but in the excitement of the moment I cannot remember. It know it was an immediate response and not a view that I came to after deliberation. I felt that way mainly because of the overwhelming pressure that ultimately failed to overwhelm us. Few teams will soak up that much pressure and win a football match.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Biggs":2d1hljud said:

I think it was a little more than just beating Bradford.

I'm not sure if it's quite an "I was there moment" but it was a hugely emotional result that really drove home the feeling that we may actually beat the drop this year. It was one of those that had everything:

Expectation of defeat.
Long distance
Cold winter afternoon up north
A top team
Huge home following

Committed team performance
Grit and determination
Feeling the pain of losing our lead only for Matthews to save the penalty
Songo'o
Brilliant team goal
A proper Derek Adams snatch and grab
Fans and players celebrating together at the end
3 points

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I completely get why it would be an 'I was there moment' in terms of the actual experience for all those reasons, but I didn't think Channel 5 had researched it to that extent and were instead simply looking at Plymouth Argyle beating Bradford in their backyard.

I could well be underestimating them, on reflection.

Bryan Tregunna

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Sep 22, 2003
Emu":22w7s5ip said:
Can't be many teams around whose full backs are both left footed and the two flank men are left footed (Carey and Grant).

From a personal left-handed viewpoint, nice to see though. :)

That's sinister! :greensmile: