Just back | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Just back

Jun 8, 2014
Can't believe for a moment that a player who's 'biting at the bit' to get playing, would be low on confidence. Which also doesn't add up to an explanation for a lack of trying, surely if you were desperate to keep playing then you would be chasing things, making runs and really challenging for the ball - not things he's done recently.

Also echo the points about needing another striker, we are far too reliant on Reubs.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Paven":2t8xmntm said:
Can't believe for a moment that a player who's 'biting at the bit' to get playing, would be low on confidence. Which also doesn't add up to an explanation for a lack of trying, surely if you were desperate to keep playing then you would be chasing things, making runs and really challenging for the ball - not things he's done recently.

Also echo the points about needing another striker, we are far too reliant on Reubs.

Everyone's different though Paven.
Smalley has been a bit part player for Argyle thus far, so its not difficult to see why he might be low on confidence or despondent.
Some players might see being down the pecking order as a challenge but others maybe not...

Come on now, if Banton showed the utter lethargy Smalley has recently many would be all over the bad attitude bandwagon. I agree with Josh, in that if Smalley really was low on confidence he'd be trying things that weren't working. He doesn't even try things. Not saying he's a troublemaker off the field but on the field he doesn't show the effort you'd expect.

Smalley in his career has only been given a professional contract by someone other than John Sheridan once: a vastly unsuccessful spell at Oxford. So I don't think it's correct to say a lot of managers have seen a player in him.

Players of his physical profile who are mobile (as I'm told) are quite rare in lower-league football. That's why he's been given a chance. Doesn't mean he can use it though.

C

Cobi Budge.

Incidentally, I remember when Reuben first joined, people moaned he only moved when the ball was at his feet, which was true, and sometimes that's still the case.

I haven't seen any signs of a bad attitude or laziness from Smalley, but everyone will have their own perception of what laziness is.

C

Cobi Budge.

One extra point not Smalley related, but Morgan related.

Morgan, in my view, is far better deployed out on the left, he's so much more effective there, it's a shame the system we play (although I'm not saying drop it) doesn't incorporate that position, so I feel for Morgan a bit when he's thrown on to play CF.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Cobi Budge.":c96leljt said:
Incidentally, I remember when Reuben first joined, people moaned he only moved when the ball was at his feet, which was true, and sometimes that's still the case.

I haven't seen any signs of a bad attitude or laziness from Smalley, but everyone will have their own perception of what laziness is.
Reuben has never been too lazy though. He contributed quite a lot towards the end of the 2012-13 season despite not scoring as many goals. He certainly offered more then than Smalley has now, I don't think its lack of effort from Smalley's part I just don't think he's a very good footballer, as simple as that. Hope to be proved wrong though.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Cobi Budge.":33lzcgzk said:

He only moved when he had the ball because that was the role he was told to play in. The lone striker in a very defensive set up designed to draw or win by the odd goal. For that system to work we needed an outlet up front to feed in players like Banton, the ball was played long to Reuben who needed to remain fairly stationary when we had the ball as he was the only target to aim for.

It's also completely untrue that he didn't move, from what I saw he hassled defenders and chased down the keeper as much as he does today, he simply held his ground when we were on the ball because he had a job to do up front on his own.

As for Smalley, he goes up and down in my estimations with every game he plays.