Just back | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Just back

Sep 6, 2006
Paul_Roberts":3d7wbo3q said:
A very disappointing result, but perhaps not a great surprise considering some of our other results on the road this season.

Personally I felt some people were getting a bit carried away after last week's win over a Portsmouth side who are unbelievably bad away from home (see their midweek result). We're a decent side, but we won't be running away with this league and every point we gain should be celebrated, every defeat seen as an inevitable pothole in a long and winding road.

The one positive I can see from our away form is that we aren't getting turned over in defeat. If we do make the playoffs, we'll be a good bet to come through a two-legged tie.

Agreed. We can forget any chance of automatics with our poor away scoring record. Perhaps, as Cobi says, we should start with Smalley! :funny:

Apr 28, 2013
Judging on what people are saying I'd like to see Banton start a game, I know Alessandra has scored a few but he hasn't been that spectacular so don't think it would hurt to give Banton a go as a STRIKER..

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
tom16pafc":2b4rwtgf said:
Judging on what people are saying I'd like to see Banton start a game, I know Alessandra has scored a few but he hasn't been that spectacular so don't think it would hurt to give Banton a go as a STRIKER..
It might not, but Reid has said the work Alessandra does helps him when it comes to scoring goals, and it's unlikely you'd get the same from Banton. Playing him as the advanced CM in the 3-5-2 as he was in his brief appearance yesterday would probably be best.

J

Jambo

Argy1e":y7zaupde said:
tom16pafc":y7zaupde said:
It might not, but Reid has said the work Alessandra does helps him when it comes to scoring goals, and it's unlikely you'd get the same from Banton. Playing him as the advanced CM in the 3-5-2 as he was in his brief appearance yesterday would probably be best.

Yeah I agree that Lewis works well alongside Reid. Although his end product isn't always the best, his constant running and harrying of defenders does create space for Reuben. However, I feel that there is a role for Banton to play in the attacking midfield role.

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
Paven":2dmxnuu8 said:
Cobi Budge.":2dmxnuu8 said:
Why are you apologizing to me for McCormick having a poor day Josh? I wasn't there, didn't say otherwise.

As for Deano though, think he takes from too much flack for people who just haven't liked him since day 1. Not saying he's a great player, but (although I wasn't there) I really think people go over the top.

You do often remind us about how he keeps his calm though. ;)

Even you would have sen Smalley today though, Dan's comments are 100% spot on. What does he offer? He doesn't run, he doesn't pass, he doesn't win in the air, he doesn't win free-kicks, he doesn't try hard and he gets in the way if our other players (Cox who would have scored without him there). What's the point in having a player like that? I'll accept I (and others) can be harsh but I've had non-Argyle supporting mates with me who've watched him and he's been atrocious.

I know you like him (no idea why but opinions and all that) but there was no defending him today - he was embarrassing.
I think that if you searched pasoti you would find similar comments about another player were made last year. RR?

C

Cobi Budge.

Yep exactly, Tony & Greenskin.

A lot of the things being said about Smalley right now were widely said about RR during his first season.

I don't accept he has no 'attributes', he has pace, he's strong and he can strike a ball quite sweetly, which actually, are all things I thought Reid was lacking in about a year and a half ago.

Jun 8, 2014
I cannot believe a comparison between Reuben Reid and Deane Smalley have been made.

Reuben is well-rounded. He always was, he just didn't score enough goals up until last season and so people were less willing at accept him. However, he did work hard, ran a lot, was strong and, the key thing here - wasn't greedy.

Deane Smalley is more frustrating because he only cares when the ball is at his feet. He cannot challenge in the air, he jumps about 20 seconds to early and isn't strong enough to hold off defenders when challenging in the air. He doesn't make runs, or press defenders as we've seen our other forwards do. I'd have less of a problem if he put in a shift but I can't understand for a second how he's 'biting at the bit to play' when it's clearly evident he doesn't give a squat about the team or his fellow players. He wants personal glory but he doesn't have the talent or determination to achieve.

I'd have much less of a problem if he was poo but put in loads of effort, but he doesn't - which is more infuriating than anything. I'm not saying he should be wanting to die for the shirt, but a touch of passion wouldn't go amiss. He's a very poor footballer, and it's very easy to see why Oxford fans are still laughing at us. He's a waste of a good substitute, and certainly does nothing to suggest he should have a starting berth.

Ok, so he is relatively quick and can strike a ball, but without the attitude, footballing brain or passion, he can never use it anyway. That cameo was easily the worst I've seen from any substitute - ever. Write him off as a mistake and get him out in January.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
From what I have seen of Dean S he always flatters to deceive on the pitch. He makes Balotelli look like Wayne Rooney. One can excuse a goal hanger provided he regularly scores but with DS it is not quite like that and regretfully I do not see it happening.

C

Cobi Budge.

I think we will disagree on Smalley until he's had a run in the side Paven.

To me, it's highly unfair to come to a cast iron judgement on a player who's only started 3 matches (and played very well in 2 of them).

People seem to think that I think he's a great player, I haven't said that, I've said he has good attributes and the stick he recieves is unfair as to me, it's undeserved on the evidence so far.

I just think he's becoming another scapegoat, and to scapegoat a player who's only started 3 games for us is rather silly.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Cobi Budge.":1f7zshvn said:
I think we will disagree on Smalley until he's had a run in the side Paven.

To me, it's highly unfair to come to a cast iron judgement on a player who's only started 3 matches (and played very well in 2 of them).

People seem to think that I think he's a great player, I haven't said that, I've said he has good attributes and the stick he recieves is unfair as to me, it's undeserved on the evidence so far.

I just think he's becoming another scapegoat, and to scapegoat a player who's only started 3 games for us is rather silly.
I bet if it was Banton who people were moaning about yesterday I bet you'd be right on top of it.

Jun 8, 2014
I watched two of those starts, and don't think he was very good in either of the ones I saw. Ok in one, poor in the other.

Like I say - my main issue is he doesn't look interested, wont run, shows no passion etc, that's more infuriating than all the other parts combined.

You've also been noted to make comments about people like Reid and how they never showed any support for the fans. Well here's one, Smalley never claps fans - home or away. Never shows any desire to impress them either. Not something that bothers me if he claps or not, but as it's a factor you've used before..

Not fair to call him a scapegoat you're right - he's just poo.

Feb 2, 2007
Paven":hqz5lgv0 said:
I watched two of those starts, and don't think he was very good in either of the ones I saw. Ok in one, poor in the other.

Like I say - my main issue is he doesn't look interested, wont run, shows no passion etc, that's more infuriating than all the other parts combined.

You've also been noted to make comments about people like Reid and how they never showed any support for the fans. Well here's one, Smalley never claps fans - home or away. Never shows any desire to impress them either. Not something that bothers me if he claps or not, but as it's a factor you've used before..

Not fair to call him a scapegoat you're right - he's just poo.

For what it's worth, and I have more than a passing interest in Oxford- he was pretty awful there barring a few successive games where he scored and bagged a load one pre season. By the end of his time he was an absolute passenger- he's neither good as a striker or a wide player. He's not a great finisher, header, shooter; he's a Conference journeyman at best. Marvin is a better alternative as he showed v. Southend.

Comparison between Smalley and Reid is ridiculous.

I'm not going to pretend like I rated Reid as highly as I do now in 12-13 when he first came here on loan. But, while he couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo, he played a decent role in holding the ball up for Banton when he was VERY greedy/lazy. I think I'm right in saying Reid and Ronan Murray were the only attacking players Sheridan brought in at first - it isn't a coincidence that we started scoring more goals as soon as Reuben was starting games consistently. We could all see at the time that despite the lack of goals he was a cut above Chadwick, Feeney et al.

The only similarity between Smalley and 12-13 Reid is build and inability to score goals. Smalley doesn't show any technical ability, nor any work ethic. He's got a strong body but he doesn't use it well - his anticipation is so bad that whenever a ball comes his way the defender ALWAYS reads it first, so he's always making up lost ground. He's the most greedy player I've seen since first-spell Banton, except he was actually good. He's not interested unless the ball gets passed straight to him. He might have pace but I don't think I've ever actually seen him run. He might have a decent shot but he has no finisher's instinct. His touch, while not terrible, is the worst of any of our attacking players (Morgan aside). He can't/won't pass. He doesn't show any dribbling ability.

He was probably offered professional terms once because big strikers with half-decent mobility and touch might make something of themselves. But now, he's 26. Players with his combination of little talent, poor understanding of the game and a bad attitude very rarely make good professionals. If at all possible, turf him out in January.