Just back | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Just back

J

jetsapilgrim

Poor game and a bad result.
Fighting in the argyle end was awful,but I believe they we not argyle fans.
I did notice that they seemed to have northern accents.

C

Cult Of Personality

jetsapilgrim":2yfpuqpz said:

:funny: Not a chance that they had Northern accents. Listing to them sing songs about the the IRA and what ever they was definitely a Janner tone

Nov 2, 2004
Thought Blizzard was one of our best players today.Allessandra was awful wasting so many good positions.Reid had one of his ordinary games,this left us with no goal threat.For all their huff and puff Mansfield created very little and our defence was comfortable.Sadly They scored,that was that.Away from home we lack goals,not sure how Sheridan will deal with that,maybe dropping Alexander and playing who?our main attacking threat comes from our fullbacks.We are close to being a good side but extra is needed.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
ealinggreen":34z0jtfu said:
Thought Blizzard was one of our best players today.Allessandra was awful wasting so many good positions.Reid had one of his ordinary games,this left us with no goal threat.For all their huff and puff Mansfield created very little and our defence was comfortable.Sadly They scored,that was that.Away from home we lack goals,not sure how Sheridan will deal with that,maybe dropping Alexander and playing who?our main attacking threat comes from our fullbacks.We are close to being a good side but extra is needed.
Banton

L

lewjam14

jetsapilgrim":k74i3wxr said:

what fans where they?

Jul 3, 2013
lewjam14":1e9w3na4 said:
jetsapilgrim":1e9w3na4 said:

what fans where they?
The central elephant

Jun 8, 2014
This football club really knows how to build you up for a fall. Good games, a great win last week, and against a team who lost their manager the night before, and sit fairly low down in the table. It wasn't good. The last 20 minutes was the only positive sign, and only few players can really come out of that with any credit. This will probably be my last away game for a while, we're just a different side away from home and it's really not one I want to watch. Anyway, onto player ratings..

McCormick - 5 - At fault for their goal in part. Looked edgy. Cobi I apologise but he didn't deal well with Mansfield at all - in fact he totally lost it with their number 25. Obviously not his fault, but he wasn't at his best today.
Nelson - 7 - Our second best defender. Alright really, looked assured and dealt quite effectively with a lot that came his way. Really good defender.
McHugh - 6 - Bit dodgy, should have done better with the goal. However I did think he was his usual, fearless self and was exposed a lot by the very poor midfield.
Hartley - 8 - Excellent. If we hadn't lost he might have even got a 9. So woefully exposed by the inept at defending Kellett, it was a tough game for him. A very calm, assured player. A classy CB for this level.
Mellor - 5 - Not his usual self. Decent defensively but struggled against a tidy and composed Mansfield left hand side. A lack of support for him made it tricky, but his usual bursts into the box just didn't happen.
Kellett - 3 - Must say it seems generous. Did squat going forward, bar the odd good pass, and left Hartley so exposed it was embarrassing. Had we had a Blanchard there behind Kellett or someone like that, we would have been torn a new one. A good side would have totally utilised it. Kellett was useless today.
O'Connor - 5 - Not too good, panicked a bit and looked quite nervous, not his usual self but still offers something when not playing role. Seemed to have a lack of movement.
Cox - 5 - Same as the above, not as good as usual though he was arguably a high 5 and O'Connor a lower 5. Not his usual self, but he's still too good to drop IMO. The deeper midfield two just didn't work.
Blizzard - 6 - Thought he was best of the 3 centrally. Linked up play well, showed for the ball and brought people into play. His lack of mobility is a problem and he can't really win the ball or defend well, but he still offers something to the team - he's rated highly by players and is, to be honest, showing signs of that at the moment.
Reid - 5 - 'Even the best players have bad days'. Fits well. Tried hard but got virtually nowhere. Actually complained a bit too much but what is infuriating is to see him pushed and pulled around, only for him to use his base strength back and get penalised. The ref was unfair to him today.
Alessandra - 6 - When we changed formation he ended up covering for Kellett a lot. Thought his running was endless and he wasn't too bad. Not a lot came off but he was certainly better than others today.

Subs:
Norburn - 6.5 - Did well. Not sure why he didn't take corners when on, but his passing is good and he looked lively, we did look better with him on.
Banton - 8 - Giving him an 8 because when he came on, we suddenly looked like we might score. He got on the ball, he got stuck in, he even won it in the air a few times. His best role is CENTRALLY so we need to play him there. If he'd had the confidence (we know he has the ability) to try and take people on, who knows. Impressed me today, really looked up for it when he came on.
Smalley - 1 - I'm sorry. No. This was the single, worst appearance of an Argyle player I've seen in recent memory. I don't care what people say, he was diabolical. He was on the pitch for the period in which we dominated, and he was properly, properly abysmal. I don't like to pick on players and NEVER give the, ratings so low, but he just did nothing. He couldn't challenge for the ball, couldn't dribble, couldn't pass and I'm left wondering what he did offer. I can't see why he's being used when every sub on that bench (including Bittner) would have had a better impact on the game. Write him off - he's clearly not good enough for a team of our capabilities, and he's definitely nothing on any of the players in the starting line-up, and barely anything on most of the subs.

Overall we were just quite lacklustre for most of the game. A change in formation and two thirds of the personnel had a positive impact on the game, but there was a lot we need to work on. Not mobile enough and we didn't look up for it. Our away record is exactly that of Shrewsbury's, and they're 3 points ahead of us. Promotion with poor away form is possible, but realistically we need to sort it out or otherwise we're just going to have to win every single home game - and we know that just doesn't happen.

Not happy about today. Not at all - but ah, onto York I suppose..

P.S. TCE you're an absolute embarrassment. I don't know exactly what kicked it all of but I'd love for you to stop and to quit shaming the club. It's a shambles. At least that's their annual away game out the way tough - right?

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
1) McCormick at fault for the goal. Came out, could have got to the ball first, wandered back a bit and ended up in no man's land.

2) We had one shot in the first 70 minutes, Mellor somehow hitting the bar from point-blank range. A few more chances late on but in truth it wouldn't have been deserved. Mansfield were poor, we were worse.

3) Mansfield had one tactic: hoof, target man, second ball. We didn't deal with it. Yet again we got drawn into playing their game and it didn't work. Midfield too deep to pick up those second balls.

4) Hartley the best of the three at the back. McHugh couldn't win much in the air against his man but we should have crowded him out more rather than leaving him one-on-one against McHugh. Still not McHugh's best game in spite of this.

5) Andy Kellett has 3 options: Either a) tell the manager that like he said in his first interview here he doesn't like defending and he's a left winger, nothing else, b) learn how to bloody defend, or c) leave. At home we might just about get away with it but away from home there's nowhere to hide. He can't defend for toffee. Shambolic positionally and doesn't mark his man well enough. Gets drawn into stupid areas all the time without the ball. Nelson, O'Connor and especially Hartley all had a go at him during the game, and they were quite right to. Dangerous going forward but a liability at the back.

6) Cox and O'Connor were shadows of the midfield generals we had last week. Tackles were bottled all over the pitch but the main midfield battle was lost. A lot of the game went over their heads yes but on the occasions it didn't, they didn't do well enough at all. Blizzard played some sublime through balls in the first half but faded in the second.

7) Both strikers had a tough ask with the midfield deep, leaving them isolated.

8) Banton was excellent when he came on. Norburn was pretty good too. I'll get to the other sub in a minute.

9) That's 5 goals now in 10 away games this season - and only 2(!) from open play. Regardless of how good our defending normally is, we will not get out of this league unless that improves.

10) McCormick got into a bit of a spat with their #25, no idea what about. Poor game though, had very little to do but what he did do wasn't very good.

11) TCE cretins who turned up - f**k off out of our club. There's probably an EDL march somewhere you could be attending instead.

12) Final word of the day goes to Deane Smalley. What an absolute joke of a player this man is turning into. Unbelievably selfish, very rarely moves off the ball, can't win headers, can't score apart from penalties, can't link up play, can't draw free-kicks... can't do anything. His only moment of note today was getting in the way of Cox who was about to shoot from 6 yards out with the keeper nowhere. Thanks a bunch Deane, clear off back to Oxford. I'll flaming drive you there myself if I have to.

McCormick 4

Nelson 6
McHugh 6
Hartley 8

Mellor 7
Cox 5
Blizzard 7
O'Connor 5
Kellett 3

Reid 6
Alessandra 6

Subs: Banton 8, Norburn 7, Smalley 1.

L

lewjam14

Stiffler":2xmqx1l4 said:
lewjam14":2xmqx1l4 said:
jetsapilgrim":2xmqx1l4 said:

what fans where they?
The central elephant
:facepalm: fighting them self's?

C

Cobi Budge.

Why are you apologizing to me for McCormick having a poor day Josh? I wasn't there, didn't say otherwise.

As for Deano though, think he takes from too much flack for people who just haven't liked him since day 1. Not saying he's a great player, but (although I wasn't there) I really think people go over the top.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Cobi Budge.":17ma3amn said:
Why are you apologizing to me for McCormick having a poor day Josh? I wasn't there, didn't say otherwise.

As for Deano though, think he takes from too much flack for people who just haven't liked him since day 1. Not saying he's a great player, but (although I wasn't there) I really think people go over the top.
Dean is poo

Jun 8, 2014
Cobi Budge.":16p1f2dy said:

You do often remind us about how he keeps his calm though. ;)

Even you would have sen Smalley today though, Dan's comments are 100% spot on. What does he offer? He doesn't run, he doesn't pass, he doesn't win in the air, he doesn't win free-kicks, he doesn't try hard and he gets in the way if our other players (Cox who would have scored without him there). What's the point in having a player like that? I'll accept I (and others) can be harsh but I've had non-Argyle supporting mates with me who've watched him and he's been atrocious.

I know you like him (no idea why but opinions and all that) but there was no defending him today - he was embarrassing.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Steve.PAFC2012":29puy2tu said:
Anyone think that had they not sacked their manager last night we would have got a result? Just get that hunch.

Probably would have. Apparently Mansfield's players forced him out, weren't playing for him at all.