just back | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

just back

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I'm fed up with hearing this now, MGM. Again it's the tone of your posts that grate.

'It takes too long to recover, if we ever do'.... 'Something is wrong with the make up of the side'.... 'there is something tactical that doesn't get the best out of our team, unless in brief spells'....'it's baffling'.

Christ man, we're 8 POINTS CLEAR! I would honestly have thought from the tone of your posts that we were in the bottom two.

As for opposition fans, from my memory they've been mostly full of praise for us so that's also a little confusing.

Mostly, I find it odd how you think that other teams are so efficient and ruthless whereas Argyle are scraping by on luck and brief flashes.

Do you see a score come in from Luton that they've beaten a lower side 2-0 and just think 'well that was an easy win, why can't we do that'? It won't have been... it will have been a hard fought slog, like every single game in this league is. Chances are conceded, missed, mistakes are made and anyone can easily beat another.

I would agree that we don't tend to dominate teams but that's clearly by design. It's bloody hard to get a winning formula in this league. Derek Adams has absolutely found it, but you don't appear to like the look of it.

Mar 14, 2009
Biggs":19or2xcq said:
I'm fed up with hearing this now, MGM. Again it's the tone of your posts that grate.

'It takes too long to recover, if we ever do'.... 'Something is wrong with the make up of the side'.... 'there is something tactical that doesn't get the best out of our team, unless in brief spells'....'it's baffling'.

Christ man, we're 8 POINTS CLEAR! I would honestly have thought from the tone of your posts that we were in the bottom two.

As for opposition fans, from my memory they've been mostly full of praise for us so that's also a little confusing.

Mostly, I find it odd how you think that other teams are so efficient and ruthless whereas Argyle are scraping by on luck and brief flashes.

Do you see a score come in from Luton that they've beaten a lower side 2-0 and just think 'well that was an easy win, why can't we do that'? It won't have been... it will have been a hard fought slog, like every single game in this league is. Chances are conceded, missed, mistakes are made and anyone can easily beat another.

I would agree that we don't tend to dominate teams but that's clearly by design. It's bloody hard to get a winning formula in this league. Derek Adams has absolutely found it, but you don't appear to like the look of it.

Biggs, it's not even me saying it. Read whatbringonthemilkman said.

"Didn't press home our advantage when we totally dominated them for first half hour".

"We didn't work the opposition keeper enough". This line in particular people often say.

Why you having a go at me when all lm doing is replying to a poster who's been to the game and mentioning things that l have noticed in games?

So lm not allowed to make comments on things they have said now? We only have been playing well in brief 15-20 spells. Yeovil, Cheltenham, Orient, Hartelpool...the list goes on where we played pretty averagely for 45-60 mins of that game. That makes it extremely hard to win games of football when your in control for less than a third of the game.

Jan 18, 2009
Bittaford
I am ashamed of the abuse carey was given today. Appalling! Sawyer played well and Luke didn't have a save of note to make. We WILL go up for sure

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I don't see how you can equate a few typical in game posts that you will hear in every single game up and down the country, with your analysis of the seemingly deep tactical problems at Argyle.

I used to really enjoy reading your balanced and realistic posts, but I feel it's descended into parody a little now.

As I say, it's the tone. It's not so much glass half empty as smashing the glass against the wall and using the shards to self harm.

Do they sound like fair comments about a team and manager who are 8 points clear with 15 games to go?

Mar 14, 2009
Biggs":13jzf2x8 said:
I don't see how you can equate a few typical in game posts that you will hear in every single game up and down the country, with your analysis of the seemingly deep tactical problems at Argyle.

I used to really enjoy reading your balanced and realistic posts, but I feel it's descended into parody a little now.

As I say, it's the tone. It's not so much glass half empty as smashing the glass against the wall and using the shards to self harm.

You see where am l being unrealistic? In your view we are playing well. In my view Argyle are playing very patchy football.

I can sum Argyle up in one game. Crewe away. 45 mins they were awful. They should have been 2-0 but we got lucky with a missed penalty. Luckily, we had one shot on target and went in at HT at 1-1 as we scored just before the break.

Second half we came out and for 15-20 mins played some loverly football. We won. 3points. Move on. That's what you would say. Where as l think you can't keep playing badly for long spells in games and expect to get enough good results to sustain a top 3 finish.

The difference between you and I perhaps is you will remember the 3 points and forget how bad we would of been in the first half. Where as l felt we were very fortunate to get 3 points. I also have seen those 45 mins at Crewe replicated in many other games we have played this season. A number of times not knowing how we weren't behind in games. Often scoring from one or two chances whilst the opposition has missed a number of guilt edge opportunities.

So l don't think lm being at all unrealistic. We just see the team and the matches differently this season.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
edmonds200":2p4cq1hd said:
I am ashamed of the abuse carey was given today. Appalling! Sawyer played well and Luke didn't have a save of note to make. We WILL go up for sure
Carey has been off the boil for weeks. I can't say I noticed any abuse of him today. One or shouts (which can hardly be classed as abuse) but that was it from where I was sat behind the goal. I don't agree with booing/abusing any player.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I'm not even saying we played well in any of these games. What I'm saying is that the way we play is obviously by design, and it happens to be winning football.

The alternative to that view is yours, which appears to be that there are deep problems and that we are in our position largely down to luck.

I find that view very odd, when for most of the last 18 months Derek Adams has had two Argyle teams sitting pretty in the top three. The general view being that we fell away last time due to a lack of strength in depth.

He know what he's doing.

Feb 2, 2007
Keepitgreen":9392apdo said:
edmonds200":9392apdo said:
Carey has been off the boil for weeks. I can't say I noticed any abuse of him today. One or shouts (which can hardly be classed as abuse) but that was it from where I was sat behind the goal. I don't agree with booing/abusing any player.

I think Carey is having to play "within" himself for large chunks because of stamina- he covers a ridiculous amount of ground and is clearly very fit but is not super human. He was fantastic against City and away at Cambridge but has had a couple of low key performances since, although I didn't see today's. He does struggle in games where teams man mark or double mark too and always has done but this should make more room for the others. Fox doesn't often get criticised in the same way or Jervis.

With Sarcevic in the side, teams will, and have been struggling to cope with us and he will be critical to getting the best out of Carey in the next couple of months.

Don't want to start speculation but Carey isn't signed up beyond Summer yet, so maybe unsettled?

Mar 14, 2009
Biggs":a5j9a8h3 said:
I'm not even saying we played well in any of these games. What I'm saying is that the way we play is obviously by design, and it happens to be winning football.

The alternative to that view is yours, which appears to be that there are deep problems and that we are in our position largely down to luck.

I find that view very odd, when for most of the last 18 months Derek Adams has had two Argyle teams sitting pretty in the top three. The general view being that we fell away last time due to a lack of strength in depth.

He know what he's doing.

This is what l find strange. We aren't poles apart in our views in the sense of where Argyle will finish. In the end your talking a handful of points and two or three, maybe four, places difference in the league. We both are saying Argyle are having a decent season. The only difference is that l think they will fall 2-4 wins short of the top 3.

How can that be deemed as negative? It may be a different opinion but just because l don't share the same belief then it's somehow wrong.

Ok, let's look at this way. When we start pre-season we predict where Argyle might finish. At the start of the season l said the playoffs. I didn't hear you or anyone else say l was negative then. So why 6 months down the line and I think the same are you giving me pelters for an opinion you obviously thought was reasonable in August?

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
....because, after 2 games in August, we were bottom of the league, whereas, after 2 thirds of the season, we are 8 points clear of 4th place with a game in hand of most of the chasing pack.

You can't deny those facts, Mickey.

Mar 14, 2009
davie nine":245kqcmd said:
....because, after 3 games in August, we were bottom of the league, whereas, after 2 thirds of the season, we are 8 points clear of 4th place with a game in hand of most of the chasing pack.

You can't deny those facts, Mickey.

So here is what the season predictions were...

Actually, l predicted automatic promotion. It must of been after 10-15 games where l have changed my mind. Notice however 30% of people choose the playoffs. So at the start of the season before a ball was kicked around a third of people who voted thought playoffs was realistic. I don't see anybody ripping into people for making that kind of choice, like it was a terrible opinion.

http://www.pasoti.co.uk/talk/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=95609&hilit=Season+predictions

Now Davie you and many others say l do go on too about our weaknesses and mistakes. That all teams at this level make mistakes. My point always being that if we keep repeating those same errors e.g. on set pieces, it would cost us over the season. And this is why l highlight them.

Well here is two posts. First Postey and then me responding...

It's on page 3...second & third post down....

This season he's added strength, height and muscle to the squad with a touch of the black arts and nastiness that's been missing over the last years.
And judging by his recent comments about the keepers I think he's more or less told McCormick to dominate his area and come for crosses or one of the other two keepers will replace him.
No longer will we suffer at set-pieces especially with our new big centre-backs defending the high balls.

I am not sure about defending set pieces still. I saw enough against Torquay and West Brom to still make me wary. Hopefully that's just about a team gelling though.

So it hasnt been a one or two month issue. There were obviously problem signs at the start of the season especially for me to highlight that issue from pre season games.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Probably because in August the play offs was a reasonanle prefiction. However, we have got into a strong position and during the season benefitted from sibstantial unbudgeted income and strengthened the squad noticeably in January hopefully avoiding a repeat of last season's inability to see the job through when we had a threadbare bench. If we finish even 2 wins short of automatic promotion as you suggest never mind 4, that would see us achieve just a point a game from our remaining fixtures. Your glass must be almost empty.

Oct 14, 2015
Should we get promoted I'd like to see Nathan Thomas back at HP, to good for the second division and to good for a team dicing with relegation. Prior to a nasty injury he recieved in. October there were several Championship sides looking at him..

May 16, 2016
Interesting comments last night from the Lincoln manager on how they break the game down into blocks of 15 minute mini games. That could explain the ebbs and flows of the games with us this season. Part of DAs' game management strategies.

Also could help some posters to work through their paranoia.