Mourinho - what a winker | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Mourinho - what a winker

Apr 15, 2008
London
Andrew Owen":16vz82tj said:
I think the problem here is that the middle-classes have got their claws into football, and wherever the middle-classes go, blandness and pretension are sure to follow. It's not that long ago when negative tactics were derided quite heavily (Graham's Arsenal, Saunders' Villa etc).

But now we've got people like Henry Winter rubbing their imaginary beards at Mourinho's tactics, as if they're some kind of obscure masterpiece that only a true footballing connoisseur could ever appreciate, and not just a modern version of the tedious block-and-bore tactics that might have been employed by Ron Saunders.

This country needs to open more farmers markets and Icelandic jazz festivals to entice these people away from football, and bring it back to its roots.

That's funny. It's not really true though, is it. It's just the working classes have got other interests now - like getting tacky tattoos, breeding indiscriminately and binge drinking.

Seriously though, I remember journos waxing lyrical about Arsenal's Cup Winner's Cup winning team and there have been pretentious articles about football in the broadsheets since the seventies.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
crownhillpilgrim":lld4v2ni said:
Andrew Owen":lld4v2ni said:
I think the problem here is that the middle-classes have got their claws into football, and wherever the middle-classes go, blandness and pretension are sure to follow. It's not that long ago when negative tactics were derided quite heavily (Graham's Arsenal, Saunders' Villa etc).

But now we've got people like Henry Winter rubbing their imaginary beards at Mourinho's tactics, as if they're some kind of obscure masterpiece that only a true footballing connoisseur could ever appreciate, and not just a modern version of the tedious block-and-bore tactics that might have been employed by Ron Saunders.

This country needs to open more farmers markets and Icelandic jazz festivals to entice these people away from football, and bring it back to its roots.

That's funny. It's not really true though, is it. It's just the working classes have got other interests now - like getting tacky tattoos, breeding indiscriminately and binge drinking.

Seriously though, I remember journos waxing lyrical about Arsenal's Cup Winner's Cup winning team and there have been pretentious articles about football in the broadsheets since the seventies.
That really is the most offensive, stereotypical untrue bollocks I've seen on here in a good while and I'd have thought you could do better than that.

Tacky tatoos? You think middle class people don't get them too? Anyway tacky is in the eye of the beholder. It's just another way of upholding middle-class hegemony in society to portray anything working-class as brass and tasteless. Breeding indiscriminately? Are you one of those people who thinks every working class person has about 8 kids and gets given a big house for it and all the other sun myths. And binge drinking? Well that just goes back to Victorian myths of the deserving and undeserving poor? Have you considered that poor living conditions can be the cause of alcohol addiction and not the other way around? Just think for a moment outside the box. The only reason excess drinking is such a problem is cause so many people are miserable.

Really is a compendium of some highly offensive and wrong stereotypes from someone who I thought was an intelligent poster on here. Probably shouldn't get wound up over an internet comment but then those myths exsist in the 'real world' too.

Apr 30, 2011
GreenSam":kguqczlm said:
crownhillpilgrim":kguqczlm said:
Andrew Owen":kguqczlm said:

That really is the most offensive, stereotypical untrue bollocks I've seen on here in a good while and I'd have thought you could do better than that.

Tacky tatoos? You think middle class people don't get them too? Anyway tacky is in the eye of the beholder. It's just another way of upholding middle-class hegemony in society to portray anything working-class as brass and tasteless. Breeding indiscriminately? Are you one of those people who thinks every working class person has about 8 kids and gets given a big house for it and all the other sun myths. And binge drinking? Well that just goes back to Victorian myths of the deserving and undeserving poor? Have you considered that poor living conditions can be the cause of alcohol addiction and not the other way around? Just think for a moment outside the box. The only reason excess drinking is such a problem is cause so many people are miserable.

Really is a compendium of some highly offensive and wrong stereotypes from someone who I thought was an intelligent poster on here. Probably shouldn't get wound up over an internet comment but then those myths exsist in the 'real world' too.

I think the 'seriously though' opening the next paragraph are more relevant words. Clearly tongue in cheek.

May 22, 2006
GreenSam":2m6fl90h said:
crownhillpilgrim":2m6fl90h said:
Andrew Owen":2m6fl90h said:

Alright, calm down.

Super horns

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Jul 26, 2008
Liverpool asking for favours from their neighbours now - I wonder how the Everton fans will see?

Hope to win to keep in contention for 4th or lose so Liverpool cannot win the league!

Most would want the former surely despite the rivalry?

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
WFC4EVER":s4i56dvi said:
Liverpool asking for favours from their neighbours now - I wonder how the Everton fans will see?

Hope to win to keep in contention for 4th or lose so Liverpool cannot win the league!

Most would want the former surely despite the rivalry?

The Arsenal game tonight will have a significant bearing on this. If Newcastle win then Evertonions will still be looking at their Champions League ambitions.

If I was a Toffee I would just know that a Liverpool Premier League win would be thrust down my throat all the time so I would rather the title go elsewhere.

Apr 15, 2008
London
Lundan Cabbie":5b4ojbcn said:
The Arsenal game tonight will have a significant bearing on this. If Newcastle win then Evertonions will still be looking at their Champions League ambitions.

If I was a Toffee I would just know that a Liverpool Premier League win would be thrust down my throat all the time so I would rather the title go elsewhere.

Yes, I have a feeling that Everton may be on go-slow next week.

On the other hand, I wouldn't put it past Man City to shoot themselves in the foot by losing to Villa.

N

NorfolkGreen

Isn't football a results business?

I was also disappointed that Rodgers implied that Chelsea didn't win in a "sporting" way.

May 22, 2006
crownhillpilgrim":2t2w56lw said:
Lundan Cabbie":2t2w56lw said:

Yes, I have a feeling that Everton may be on go-slow next week.

On the other hand, I wouldn't put it past Man City to shoot themselves in the foot by losing to Villa.

Who was the manager of Wigan when City screwed up in the Cup Final? History to repeat itself 12 months later for the title?

A

andyr1963

Various points, the carefully created persona of "Portugese winker" is a carefully constructed one. Jose is just a pantomime villain who is the most entertaining and quotable manager that I can remember. (Not quite old enough to appreciate Shankly's quotes in his prime)

I did watch the game on Sunday (in pub) and the Motd highlights show later Monday evening. What I saw was a highly organised defensive set up that worked as a very solid unit. I saw not a single bus, never mind two, :greensmile: their were occasions in both halves when Chelsea had eight players in the Liverpool half, attack being the best form of defence?

Just before kick off I saw the Chelsea team sheet and thought "What a winker, why don't you present the trophy to the scousers yourself" :lol: Your first choice CH is out injured for the rest of the season so you put his No.1 partner on the bench :shock:

Chelsea went to Anfield with the "Come on then show us what you can do" attitude. Liverpool could not work out how to break them down.

The right result, the right team won.

Oh and the second goal, where was the Liverpool player on the do or die mission, chasing the hopeless cause, just in case of the one in a million chance. He he Loserpool