NEIL WARNOCK - get him in | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

NEIL WARNOCK - get him in

Apr 28, 2013
Have no idea why Brent decided to give him a 3 year contract!? And I think if we could get Warnock, it would attract good players down who would not normally come because of location.

Apr 13, 2014
St Mawgan
Great manager, but remember what happened when a certain Mr Sturrock had his second stint. Managers returning usually ends in disaster. Besides, we have a manager already

Apr 13, 2014
St Mawgan
:clap:
Block sixteener":28p9zwtd said:
I'd love to see the threads at the start of the season with posters wishing for a mid table/ play off push and now people wishing for this man to loose his job after granting exactly what they wished for at the start of the season!!!!

He deserves another season in my view, SHERIDAN IN!
:clap: :clap: Well Said

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
blightfoot66":1dsbz6ww said:
Great manager, but remember what happened when a certain Mr Sturrock had his second stint. Managers returning usually ends in disaster. Besides, we have a manager already
Eh blighty - getting in the grove now bey :thumbup:
(blighty ? ex RN ?)

May 22, 2006
blightfoot66":2f3ftlhs said:

What's the stat about Warnock? He's been at something like 15 clubs (maybe more) but has never been anywhere more than once.

He always waxes lyrical about former clubs and how much he loves them. Sheffield Utd his home club; Notts Co. his fav club; Leeds with their fantastic support; how much he loved QPR / Palace etc. People seem to take him at face value that he loves them all. Did Warnock make any contributions out of his own pocket during the dark days? We know Reid and Norris did. Sometimes action speak louder than words. Fair play to him if he did but I don't recall anything other than kind words, which is what he does all of the time.

Jan 27, 2012
Sheridan got Chesterfield promoted and then duly relegated. Warnock has a string of promotions to his name.

There's just no comparison.

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
gaspargomez":25hc5k2u said:
Sheridan got Chesterfield promoted and then duly relegated. Warnock has a string of promotions to his name.

You're not Warnocks missus in disguise are you ?

Why this love-in with Warnock ? Tell the whole Warnock story not just selective bits.

Notts Co - promoted and then duly relegated
Huddersfield - promoted and then duly resigned ?
Argyle - promoted and then duly sacked for poor results
Sheff Ud - promoted and then duly relegated
Palace - Play-offs then walked away
QPR - promoted and then sacked for poor results
Leeds - Never higher than mid table Championship then sacked for poor results

Impressive record ? Hardly !!!

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
That's pretty selective also Tony. You have omitted some of his promotions and as for the relegations just who in your opinion would have done much better with the budgets he had and size of club. A flaming miracle getting Notts Co in the prem punching way over their weight. Meagre budgets at all the other clubs compared to most of their opponents at the time. Sheff Utd he almost kept up against the odds and
would have if the prem hadnt been soft on West Ham over the Tevez affair. They plumetted after he left. QPR were doing fine in the Prem until the chairman wanted a bigger name to be entrusted with their new found wealth and after spending a fortune Warnock never had the luxury of spending a succession of managers fared worse than Warnock did. Leeds also have fared worse after dismissing Warnock. I think like Pulis he has done a remarkable job in many cases against the odds during his career. Having said that he seems to have fallen out with most of his chairmen over the years and is not well liked in the game generally and I wouldnt particularly want him back here again at his age. I dont think for a minute it will ever happen either.

P

pilgrim errant

An emphatic 'NO' from me as his attitude to opponents and referees used to disgust me and make me ashamed of being a lifelong Argyle fan. The worst example which outraged me was when the away side had put the ball into touch so that an Argyle player could receive treatment for an injury and Warnock clearly ordered our player to take advantage and not return the ball but take it to attack them. When the player objected he told another player to take the throw and was obeyed with what I saw as the worst example of lack of sportsmanship that still bedevils the game we love.

There have been other examples of what are euphemistically called 'gamesmanship' under his rule and I don't want to se it return to Home Park.

G

Greenskin

tigertony":1nu9gdxb said:
gaspargomez":1nu9gdxb said:

You're not Warnocks missus in disguise are you ?

Why this love-in with Warnock ? Tell the whole Warnock story not just selective bits.

Notts Co - promoted and then duly relegated
Huddersfield - promoted and then duly resigned ?
Argyle - promoted and then duly sacked for poor results
Sheff Ud - promoted and then duly relegated
Palace - Play-offs then walked away
QPR - promoted and then sacked for poor results
Leeds - Never higher than mid table Championship then sacked for poor results

Impressive record ? Hardly !!!

He was also relegated at Bury but to be fair to the man [as JJ points out] there probably were extenuating circumstances at the clubs that he took down.Over a long management career it isn't going to be cheese and kisses all the way-i suppose the key to surviving is how well you bounce back after a set back if given the chance.One of the most revered managers in Argyle's history,Dave Smith, was relegated at Southend a couple of seasons before he came here,these things happen.I do agree that to suggest that Warnock would have come in and waved some sort of magic wand is nonsense though.In his spell at Argyle,he had considerable money to spend from the sale of people like Dalton,Castle,Swan etc,far more than Sheridan has had-can't remember Warnock having to rely on loan signings to make up a fair majority of his squad.Argyle finished fourth in that season,which some regarded as underachievement, and the style of football or management was by no means universally popular-there would seem to be rose tinted spectacles being worn at times.I remember him getting absolute dogs abuse from some fans after heavy defeats at Hereford and Fulham in that season but to his credit he overcame that and in the end gave the fans and club a piece of history never to be forgotten.Different times,different circumstances and there is no guarantee that Warnock would take the job now-he turned down a far better [on the face of it] offer from Forest because he wasn't happy with the terms.Anyway,didn't he actually strongly recommend Sheridan for the Argyle job?