'NEVER AGAIN' - Now **UPDATED ** (merged) | Page 22 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

'NEVER AGAIN' - Now **UPDATED ** (merged)

Do you agree with the statement?

• Yes

Votes: 86 34.8%
  • No

Votes: 140 56.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 21 8.5%

• Total voters
Jan 10, 2006
Shanghai
Stan":3p3wpuy8 said:
Biggs":3p3wpuy8 said:
As an aside, I like the Ians a lot and I love Pasoti, but I increasingly feel that every time I or others ask questions or sympathise with the 'undersigned' that I'm going to get shot down or made out to be a troublemaker of some kind.

Graham Clark (who I'd previously assumed was very highly respected by most Argyle fans) makes a series of entirely valid and sensible points and gets labelled crass and aloof, Sam Down posts a brilliant piece and it's dismissed because its apparently too long. Now people wanting more clarity on the ground purchase are the 'Never Again brigade'.

I can say now that my sole motivation for asking questions is because Argyle runs through me like a stick of rock and I want to know for absolute sure it's not at risk again. I find it very, very hard to believe the vast majority of the Never Againers don't feel the same. Though where I am, is that I'm for the purchase but would like more clarity on how it's going to be funded. Again, a feeling that has been ridiculed.

It feels like I'm missing something, because the whole debate over something so important feels very....personal. I don't really understand that, and at the moment I feel like a bit of an outsider for feeling that way.

Excellent post Biggs, you are not alone.

I would also agree with this. As a simple supporter looking in from afar, with no ties to the AFT I really don't see why pertinent questions shouldn't be asked for the purposes of clarification and transparency. It's not a lot to ask, is it? What are the concerns, that Brent gets fed up with the questions and changes his mind on the matter?

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
When you are a lone voice, or a minority, among a sea of dissenters it can feel like the world is against you. It's one of the things you bring on yourself by putting your head above the parapet. It is good to see people being prepared to do it and they shouldn't be afraid of their opinions but at the same time that have to accept that in doing so they should be prepared to have their head shot off. In all things it's never a great plan to claim you speak for the majority (or even a sizeable minority) when you have no idea who the electorate are, let alone what the they think.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
It's nothing personal Mr BIggs I can assure you. Some of the 'undersigned' and I will no doubt meet today and have a chin wag about things, and we will be laughing and taking the mick our of each other as we often are.

Then again, there are a few that I hope to never, ever meet again.

B

Baby Face Johnson

To clarify, how has it been established what the minority view is?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
The bloke that drove down the wrong side of the M5 this week probably asked that same question.

B

Baby Face Johnson

So which is currently the minority view and how do you know it's the minority view?

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I really don't understand the problem. The Board issued their statement in the form of 19 questions and answers; one of which was :-
Supporters’ MeetingQ1: When is the next supporters meeting proposed and where?
A1: 10.30am on Saturday, September 24, 2016 in the Green Taverners Suite at Home Park. Fans that are unable to attend will be able to email questions to argyle@pafc.co.uk. Please provide your questions by email by 5pm on September 21, writing ‘Fans’ Forum Question’ in the subject box, and provide your name. As always, the meeting will be recorded and made available on the official club website – http://www.pafc.co.uk – and plans are being explored to stream it live.
So, anyone who considers that the 19 answers did not adequately satisfy their concerns has been invited to attend the meeting or email questions to the Board.
Graham Clark and his co-signatories have indicated that they intend to accept this invitation and have/will be submitting questions for clarification (see quote below). The rest of us have the same opportunity.
We fully acknowledge the right of all supporters to have divergent views and we respectfully request that should they wish that they table questions on the freehold purchase either at the meeting or in writing (by e-mail to argyle@pafc.co.uk), direct to the Board, at the Fans Forum on Saturday 24th September 2016 by e-mail by 5pm on 21st September 2016. That is what the original signatories to the ‘Never Again’ statement intend to do.
In addition, Simon Hallett has personally indicated on Pasoti (Tickets for Troops topic) that he supports the invitation for questions to be submitted for response on 24th September.
What more can the Board do to show their intentions to be open and transparent?

Feb 8, 2005
Chancellor":3beoc90f said:
jimsing":3beoc90f said:
Biggs":3beoc90f said:
How they fund these shares is irrelevant to the likes of us plebs, the capital return on their investment is their risk, not ours.

Blimey I was crucified for saying "you lot" and you can say "us plebs" without a terminal meltdown!

We are not plebs. we fund the business remember.

Correction.

We pay to be entertained by the Clubs footballers. If they are successful we return again, and others may join us to be entertained. The number of 'supporters' that follow the team are dependent on the success or otherwise of the team.

It is incumbent on the people that run the Club to give the people that watch the football as successful a team as they can, in order to increase the number of supporters, and therefore increase the profit to the Club, bearing in mind the financial restrictions imposed by the governing body.

This is the same for every team in the League.

There is a core of supporters that will watch the team play, regardless of the success or lack of, who feel that they have an affinity with the Club, who the Club can rely on to support the team come rain or shine, and feel that they are 'better' supporters than those that watch occasionally.

This is the same for every team in the League.

These people are disillusioned and feel that they are the true owners of the football club, but alas they pay their money to watch a game of football, as do the others, albeit week in week out, and have no other responsibility towards the Club other than those that are in the their heads.

Fortunately they are in the minority, as most football watchers, or fans as we like to call them, come to watch a game of football, and get great satisfaction when their team beats the opposition.

There are those that choose to watch a team play who are in the top league of the football ladder, from their home address. These are a different species altogether and should not be confused with the true football 'supporter'.

Feb 8, 2005
Baby Face Johnson":31y9rslc said:
So which is currently the minority view and how do you know it's the minority view?

You may like to have a look at the result of the polls that give a good indication!

Do keep up! :D

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Baby Face Johnson":1mjcbuui said:

My point was a general one. Personally I haven't commented on which side of the debate I stand.

B

Baby Face Johnson

jimsing":1ll881n0 said:
Baby Face Johnson":1ll881n0 said:

You may like to have a look at the result of the polls that give a good indication!

I assume you are referring to the polls on here rather than on other websites, which show a different result and haven't factored in the thousands of other fans that haven't even taken part in the polls?

B

Baby Face Johnson

Mark Pedlar":1m1sdaxm said:
Baby Face Johnson":1m1sdaxm said:

My point was a general one. Personally I haven't commented on which side of the debate I stand.

Fair one.

Feb 8, 2005
Baby Face Johnson":2cts1mhi said:
jimsing":2cts1mhi said:
Baby Face Johnson":2cts1mhi said:

I assume you are referring to the polls on here rather than on other websites, which show a different result and haven't factored in the thousands of other fans that haven't even taken part in the polls?

Other websites?! Other websites?! Wash your mouth out, young man.

What other websites?

It is bad manners to mention any other website other than the one that you are on.

They are irrelevant and have no bearing on what is discussed on this website.

Polls are what they are, but certainly on this website the result of the original poll has been strengthened by the second poll results, and is a good indication of the views of those that took part.

If you don't think that that is indicative of the fanbase in general, than that is your viewpoint.

I do.

B

Baby Face Johnson

jimsing":3ozghq4n said:
Baby Face Johnson":3ozghq4n said:
jimsing":3ozghq4n said:
Baby Face Johnson":3ozghq4n said:

Other websites?! Other websites?! Wash your mouth out, young man.

What other websites?

It is bad manners to mention any other website other than the one that you are on.

They are irrelevant and have no bearing on what is discussed on this website.

Polls are what they are, but certainly on this website the result of the original poll has been strengthened by the second poll results, and is a good indication of the views of those that took part.

If you don't think that that is indicative of the fanbase in general, than that is your viewpoint.

I do.

I don't think it can be indicative of the fan base in general, or else other polls would show a similar pattern. For the record, I have no idea which is the best option, long-term, for Plymouth Argyle Football Club hence why I feel that the more dialogue we have on the matter the better.