New Grandstand - 2 day public consultation | Page 14 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

New Grandstand - 2 day public consultation

metroace

ā™£ļø Senior Greens
āœ… Evergreen
Sep 8, 2011
Glenholt
SwimWithTheTide":116c805f said:
metroace":116c805f said:
SwimWithTheTide":116c805f said:
metroace":116c805f said:
The Grumpy Loyal":116c805f said:
The intention to build a gym right next door in competition to the Life Centre. The intention to build a cafe when he knows the FOCP are building one in the park. Morally, why would you do that?

For the players to train in and to save the cost of corporate membership at the Life Centre. Also so that the players can do their gym training in peace without the possibility of being disturbed by fans when they are meant to be working (training). As for the cafe, why not? The FOCP have hardly been supporters of PAFC over the years as far as I can see looking back over the years of postings on this forum.

When has there been a proposal to build a gym for exclusive use by PAFC players? I must have missed that part of the development.

It doesn't say anywhere that it is a gym for commercial purposes. Just that it is a gym.

It's part of the commercial development, above 3 restaurants and below 2 floors of offices (not for the club either). Not a criticism, but I think you're not being accurate in saying it's for the club.

So hardly on the scale of a David Lloyd Gym then, is it, Sherlock. Not a commercially viable fitness club so no risk whatsoever to the Life Centre so your original argument is invalid.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Not sure why you're pushing your chest out here and beating it with that response.

We'll start with the fact that the original argument isn't mine. It's Grumpy's. I've not really commented on his point about the competition of businesses.

All I did was suggest that your post may not be entirely truthful, because it isn't. The proposed gym isn't for the club. That's not a criticism of anything, just a statement of fact.

I've also no idea where your scale point comes into things? I've never used (and probably never will use) the life centre gym. I couldn't tell you if they've got 2 rowing machines or 20. I couldn't possibly comment on that.

It'll be disappointing for James Brent if his proposed plans aren't financially viable also, as you suggest, or else he'll end up with either an empty unit or another unfulfilled development.

Mar 21, 2008
It's a hypothetical question, but I think an important one to bare in mind with regards to the bigger picture here.

Many fans are happy to just turn a blind eye and ignore everything that's happening simply because Plymouth Argyle are getting an updated grandstand and quite frankly that's as far as their interest in the situation goes.

However, IF (and yes it's an IF), Simon Hallett wasn't extremely generously lending the club Ā£5 million and no refurbishment of the grandstand was therefore taking place, how would this forum be reacting to a plan by James Brent to build a massive profit-making home park complex separate to Argyle with no profit or moneys whatsoever going towards either the financing of a stand or the club?

Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
I'm not a James Brent lover or sceptic. However, the bloke owns this land so why not try & make something from it. He's perfectly entitled to make some money for himself. Argyle are getting their grandstand updated via finance from an Argyle fan who wouldn't, I'm sure, hold the football club to ransom. I really don't see the problem with these plans.

May 8, 2011
Rob_GT4":xm643cfm said:
It's a hypothetical question, but I think an important one to bare in mind with regards to the bigger picture here.

Many fans are happy to just turn a blind eye and ignore everything that's happening simply because Plymouth Argyle are getting an updated grandstand and quite frankly that's as far as their interest in the situation goes.

However, IF (and yes it's an IF), Simon Hallett wasn't extremely generously lending the club Ā£5 million and no refurbishment of the grandstand was therefore taking place, how would this forum be reacting to a plan by James Brent to build a massive profit-making home park complex separate to Argyle with no profit or moneys whatsoever going towards either the financing of a stand or the club?

I would think that the last thing an Ice Rink would be is a massive profit-making complex.

stewthenoo

Brickfields Donor
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Aug 24, 2005
YELVERTON
Tugboat":1xloj7bc said:
Quintrell_Green":1xloj7bc said:
metroace":1xloj7bc said:
luckycoopertupac":1xloj7bc said:
Yes let's bite the hand that feeds us especially such an owner who has shown his worth over the years glad he doesn't let the negative get to him
There's more to it than just that.

People are questioning the real motives and medium impact of future development issues within the club and surrounding lands.

Freedom of speech and ability to ask questions should be welcomed not shot down instantly because some can see no wrong through the ultra green tinted glasses.

It's all about seeing the bigger picture now and in the future. What's done is done with regards to JB saving the club and I don't think there is 1 person who isn't grateful for that but that alone shouldn't deter people from asking questions on things they see as possible issues.

I sometimes wonder if Argyle fans deserve to still have a club or if it shouldn't have just died all those years ago. Then I remember that the people who constantly snipe are in the minority. Brent is the owner, he is a businessman, he will do business. He could also just walk away. Which would you prefer?

I think he will walk away once the planning side for non PAFC commercial units are approved.

I for one would be most interested to hear your rationale for thinking that JB will cut and run after Consent has been achieved. Perhaps you could enlighten us all.
My opinion. Nothing more.

I think he came in for to take over the club (albeit last resort) at a good deal that required him to actively renegotiate the debt, provide stability and give the club direction again to enable the creditors to settle the finance. Bravo to Brent and well done on the job so far.

I've had doubts on the other side of his dealings. Nothing malicious and probably nothing he is doing or planning can be perceived as wrong BUT I've always maintained that he has bigger plans on what he does best which is developing run down business's turning them into profitable solutions and PAFC is no different. Out of PAFC he now owns the immediate land, the car park and from that has a foot in the door for development on that land and now transpires other land around Central Park becomes part of the original planning of the mayflower redevelopment as an add on. From this original plan of a new grandstand comes a new ice rink, a new hotel, new commercial units and a new opportunity to fulfill his ultimate plan of pulling down the pavilions to make way for a new hotel.

Now SH is onboard I see him as the future landlord of the club with JB parting ways to start his next venture.

So Tuggers, what sort of person would you have been content with taking over the club at the time we nearly went out of existence? We were in administration and the only way we were going to get out of that was to cease as a going entity (nobody gets any money) or for SOMEONE to come in and negotiate a deal to keep us going. Peter Ridsdale had already seen an opportunity and was prepared to buy the club for just Ā£1. Now, I'm not sure what his motives were beyond that, but I'm not sure whether he would be thinking of the local community in any venture that he may have concocted (My opinion). I did question him, face to face, at the time as to his motives. The best I could get from him was that he was saving the club by selling off all the assets. No mention of how he would take the club forward.

How about some rich Oligarch? Didn't see many of them queuing up when the chips were down!

Cue James Brent; a businessman, but reluctant buyer. Sure, there are business opportunities for anyone buying the club, and James has seen an opportunity to develop not only the club, but also to use that in his own business portfolio. Contrary to the beliefs of many Jeremy Corbyn supporters, money does not grow on trees. Along the way, as well as negotiating the best deal (for the club in order to keep it afloat) with creditors [don't forget that many of the speculative investors who put the club further into debt got their money back], James has ploughed his own money into the club and has become a devoted fan now, along with the rest of his family, so he wants the best for the club, as well as to invest in his business. He has already said that he is not the person to take this club beyond the Championship and, perhaps, with the arrival of Simon Hallett, now Vice Chairman, there is an opportunity for James to bow out gracefully sometime in the future, knowing that the club he has grown to love and has invested time and money in, is in good hands going forward.

We should be extremely thankful that we have had someone like this to steer us on this journey from the abyss of extinction and that, when he does step down (I do not think he will walk away from the club) that he has put us on a firm, self sustaining footing, with the ability to generate much needed income from the use of the stadium on non match days. PAFC and the city of Plymouth will also benefit from James' developments, so let's celebrate that, rather than shooting down the efforts that have been made in order to get us here.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Chancellor":25yq61hy said:
Ian H":25yq61hy said:
Rob_GT4":25yq61hy said:

Hypothetical and also completely pointless.

No its not pointless, its probably one of the most salient posts on the thread. Its only pointless because you cant answer it.

It is pointless and it wouldn't happen, do you think it's just coincidence that both schemes of that kind have come as part of a grandstand development?

Why hasn't JB got started on a 'massive profit making complex' in the long period since the last HHP scheme went up in smoke?

Perhaps I'm just naive, but it's because building a grandstand has been the number one priority for JB and the board, and yes, the rest of the scheme is off the back of that.

Really struggling to understand the concerns here, UNLESS the other parts of the jigsaw hamper the grandstand application in any way. Which as it's much smaller than HHP, I can't really see. I'd also like to see restaurants that aren't just either fast food outlets or the usual Frankie and Bennys type, but again... we'll see :thumbs:

Mar 21, 2008
Biggs":isoml618 said:
Chancellor":isoml618 said:
Ian H":isoml618 said:
Rob_GT4":isoml618 said:

Hypothetical and also completely pointless.

No its not pointless, its probably one of the most salient posts on the thread. Its only pointless because you cant answer it.

It is pointless and it wouldn't happen, do you think it's just coincidence that both schemes of that kind have come as part of a grandstand development?

Why hasn't JB got started on a 'massive profit making complex' in the long period since the last HHP scheme went up in smoke?

That's pretty much my point isn't it, if Brent had gone public with these plans before a generous fan decided to lend us Ā£5 million quid to develop our stand this forum and Argyle fans in general would have gone into meltdown, so he wouldn't been able to get away with it.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
It's a fair point. I'm really too bothered what goes up, or what James Brent makes from it. I wish him all the best, but as a fan of the football club my interest lies in what benefit all this extra stuff stands to serve Argyle?

The Grandstand uplift is set to happen with Simon Hallett's loan AND money from the other directors. No amount has been disclosed, but this project isn't solely funded through the Hallett's cash - mostly, but it has been reported that the directors have put in a bit on top. I'm guessing that's where the director reshuffle comes into things?

The Grandstand uplift should not be (and I don't believe it is) dependent on the commercial projects. The commercial venture is separate as far as I can see. The only conjoining factor being the club used to own part of the land until Brent sold it to himself (or was it previously in council hands, my memory is it was all part of the club?).

So, the question remains. If Hallett has a change of heart and no longer fronts the loan for the Grandstand uplift, would we be happy with Home Park remaining as is, while James Brent builds this commercial project next door? I for one wouldn't be. So are we actually set to gain from this project? Mr Wrench suggest that there's some form of profit share? Does anyone have further information on this to help ease the souls of some of us skeptics?

Previously HHP was going to take place and the club would benefit to the tune of 10mil in the form of a brand new (albeit small) grandstand. If, say, the development was going to finance stage 2 then great. But stage 2 is wishful thinking and uncosted as things stand.

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
HC Green":3d3ztom5 said:
Rob_GT4":3d3ztom5 said:

I would think that the last thing an Ice Rink would be is a massive profit-making complex.

You would be surprised mate. Fife Ice Arena in Kirkcaldy does surprisingly well, when it is not being used for ice hockey then it is open to the public and it does very good trade. Bare in mind that you also have rinks in Edinburgh and Dundee in competition, I think that an ice arena in Plymouth with the nearest next one being a long, way away would be very popular, and people would travel there from all over Devon and Cornwall.