Next season's strip. | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Next season's strip.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
He just voices what most of us think. We're just more chilled.

Who were the people involved Josh? Did the Plymouth Branch and PACSA get an invite?

Jun 8, 2014
From what I can recall, present at the meeting was Rick Cowdery, Rachel Fry and a rep from Puma. Then there were a load of fan groups represented, such as the AFT, PADSA, PASALB and the Vice President's Club as well as other fans and people too.

That's what was in the email at least. Good to see some proper fan involvement into the sort of stuff that really matters to us.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Totally agree, glad was Rachel was there as well, she's a listener which helps.

I don't really care what strip we end up with now, the big point is that the fans are involved, which can only be a good thing.

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
I'm with Ed on the fading. There's never been a kit that fades that looks passable, let alone good.

May 16, 2005
Elburton
I'd love to see the late sixties kit return.

My only concern is, how would the sponsor's logo be incorporated?

Edited to add:- Fading? NOOOOOOOO!

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The green and white banded 60s kit home and away for me but it looks like we have to trade off a Puma generic home kit for an away kit of our choice. I'll settle for that.

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
IJN":1d6jd94c said:

Who were the people involved Josh? Did the Plymouth Branch and PACSA get an invite?
I'll have to check with Simmo to see if we were invited.
I was certainly unaware of the meeting.
But then we're only Cornish after all...

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
LG":2nm8koht said:
IJN":2nm8koht said:

We're a minority now, LG! If you weren't invited I'd say that's discrimination! ;)

Bernie Bernbaum

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Pasoti Quiz Champions
Jade Berrow 23/24
May 29, 2015
I prefer the 60's all green kit with the band. The other is virtually all white. We play in green so predominately green for me.

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
Liam Vercoe":21f6m99o said:
LG":21f6m99o said:
IJN":21f6m99o said:

We're a minority now, LG! If you weren't invited I'd say that's discrimination! ;)
:hitfan:
I'm sure it's an oversight... :whistle:

Aug 10, 2006
Paven":o0tz9o9y said:
The home kit being considered is either an Argyle green with black pin stripe, or an Argyle green that fades in colour from top to bottom.

The most popular seems to head to the classic mid to late 1960’s design. This would be predominantly white, but with a band around the chest bearing the club crest and incorporating green and black.
about time we had the kit with the band around the chest somebody has woke up at last.

Jul 29, 2010
djg145":1kfhcohf said:
Why oh why do we have this every year?

It is becoming very tiresome.

*IF* this is indeed some genuine fan consultation and engagement in the process (at a stage prior to 'here are three naff, off the peg kits to choose from) then this is new. So no, we don't have this every year...and thus it's not the least bit tiresome, it's actually very welcome :clap:

I lose track of where we are on the current Puma contract, is it still one more year of pain? Either way the fact it's being discussed in early October shows the club is on the front foot for a change. I never ever want my club again finding itself 'surprised' by a deadline to submit design choices and thus 'having no option but' to sign another three year contract with an 'abusive' partner. So, timings wise, there are signs of organisation and planning at the club this time, this is also welcome :clap:

'If' though is a very big word. It needs to be a genuine exercise and the club needs to 'hear' what is being said and not just 'listen' to it. Basically the process must be meaningful and not just a window dressing exercise in engagement.

Before I continue with my two penneth I would like to make it clear that I writing whilst trying desperately not to rant, and trying to keep it brief. I have a team of Indian head massage experts in full flow and can barely see the screen for the fog of calming incense...."wooosaar".

Issues around tradition and identity are however close to my heart, so if I slip, then apologies in advance.

Which green?

The use of 'Argyle green' is mentioned in the AFT titbit but that needs clarification. Argyle green to me is the 2001 - present day green, to Ian it's the Emerald green from 'days of yore'. Which is it?

I don't, until clarified, know if a colour change is on the table or not. They did say previously it would be 'Argyle' (darker) green until such time as the 'colour branding' across the club/ground was up for change too. Makes sense, uniformity and consistency is very important.

The darker green is my personal favourite, no surprise to anyone there. However as I have consistently said, when change is an option to the club then they need to consult the fanbase about it's preference (darker v emerald say) and then agree to stick to the result for a long time, maybe even forever. Put the issue to bed once and for all. Even if my preference loses, so be it, it's called democracy. As above, uniformity and consistency are of greater importance. We need to define/refine our identity and then damn well stick to it.

Talking of sticking to it....

Home Kit

Get a format and but for minor changes, bleddy well stick to it, make it ours.

For me personally the shirt should primarily be solid green with whatever MINOR variation each year to suit (spit) the commercial requirement for constant change. So you could have black pinstripes, white pinstripes, black sleeve stripe, white sleeve stripe, black side panels, white side panels, black collar, white collar, etc etc...but the shirt is, broadly, solid green.

Likewise with the many available minor variations on the shirt you can mix/match shorts and socks between white and black, you can stripe the sides or colour the hems of the shorts, you can stripe the socks, give then different coloured tops.

I hate the way commercial interests dictate constant change but I am prepared to give a bit. In there there's many many different options whilst retaining a constant identity. We should have a format around which we tinker, not a constantly tinkering format.

Talking of constantly tinkering formats....

Away kit

(deep breath, furious head massaging, more incense...and break out the 'suspicious' roll-ups)

The 'cigarette' has actually done it's trick, it's called to mind dear old Bob's Argyle theme tune, three little birds? melds into 'three little words'...

Reverse the above.

That's it, that's all Argyle need to do :shock:

We are green, black and white. In order to comply with the Football League requirement for a change kit for clashes there just needs to be a contrast and within our acceptable, historic, traditional colours we have the darkest of colours and the lightest of colours. It's that easy.

We should never need an away kit but again I'm giving a bit to (spit) commercial interests here. If the away kit incorporates exclusively Argyle colours then, despite it being completely unnecessary, I wouldn't object to always using the away kit. Argyle's widespread diaspora would again be able to see Plymouth Argyle in Plymouth Argyle's colours.

Summary (to aid quoting if required)

Thank you Argyle for engaging, thank you for engaging early enough for us to have the possibility of a meaningful input.

But please ACTUALLY listen. Please then agree a consensus on our green. Please then choose a format that will be stuck to, preferably solid green shirts then tinker all you like around that. But above all else, please ditch these awful awful alien away colours, all you need to do is reverse the home kit each year. They will sell because they're Plymouth Argyle's colours and we're the fans of Plymouth Argyle....the GREEN army :scarf:

Jul 29, 2010
Well, with the very deepest of sincerity, I do hope that you're not in any way involved in the consultation process.

"Whatever you put out i'll buy anyway" is no way to encourage Argyle to inject any level of consideration into their offerings, less still to get them to reconnect with the history and tradition of the club's identity.