Next year's team - do we really need a massive clear-out? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Next year's team - do we really need a massive clear-out?

KCJ

Nov 23, 2011
Next season we have got to be aim high, assuming Sheridan stays, he will have as close as possible a opportunity as he ever will to build a decent team. Anyone who has watched Argyle for a few years can see that the majority of this team are not good enough to compete towards the top third of this league and with our likely attendances and therefore we assume our budget this has got to be the objective. Better to aim high and fall short than settle for mediocrity. Carl fletchers biggest failing in my opinion was not taking last summers opportunity to sweep clean and he ended up blowing his budget on too big a squad, bereft of any real quality.
Sheridan ( and perhaps Warnock ?) should have the contacts to assemble a squad of say 22 players - 2 for each position who would be competitive as a team and competitive within themselves for their places.
There is room for some of the younger players to develop within this framework but quality of say the sturrock team of 2001/2 has got to be the measurement . If out of contract or potential new players dont come up to that standard then we must look elsewhere. And wouldn`t it be great just for once if most of the players we watch could be ours and perhaps with just a couple of quality exceptions we avoid so many loanee`s.

Jan 26, 2013
Plymouth
Unless Sheridan knows of many quality players that would come and sign for us during the summer, I don't feel conducting our very own 'night of the long knives' would be the best option. In summer 2008 I remember Luggy decided to (unnecessarily) clear out the squad, and we were bloody crap that year. Again, in summer 2011, although the clear out was forced upon us, we lost 9 in a row at the start of the season. A clear out would mean that building the squad morale and harmony would have to start again from scratch. Over the last couple of month's most of the current crop has shown a keen desire to fight for each other. Granted, there is a lot of dead wood which needs removing, but we definitely have some players here that are worth keeping hold of.

For the out of contract players, I feel that new contracts should be offered to Cole, Branston, Hourihane, Bhasera, Wotton (even if only a bit part role) and Gurrieri.

Chadwick, Feeney, Chenoweth, Lowry and Charles should all be released.

I feel that if Reid were to be paired up front with a striker with a yard of pace about him, he could get us a lot more goals. If we could get a midfielder in a similar mould to Cox, or ideally the man himself, we would have a great centre midfield.

The biggest signing the club could make though would be one John Sheridan. Given a sound financial backing in the transfer market, I honestly feel we could push for a top half finish next season.

Oct 28, 2011
TomLannigan said:
Unless Sheridan knows of many quality players that would come and sign for us during the summer, I don't feel conducting our very own 'night of the long knives' would be the best option. In summer 2008 I remember Luggy decided to (unnecessarily) clear out the squad, and we were bloody crap that year. Again, in summer 2011, although the clear out was forced upon us, we lost 9 in a row at the start of the season. A clear out would mean that building the squad morale and harmony would have to start again from scratch. Over the last couple of month's most of the current crop has shown a keen desire to fight for each other. Granted, there is a lot of dead wood which needs removing, but we definitely have some players here that are worth keeping hold of.

:clap:
:clap:
Exactly why a complete overhaul is not a good idea. Keep the backbone and add some flair!

May 22, 2006
We need to factor in the playing budget.

As of 14:59 yesterday there were 25 players in our squad, 22 contracted to us. I think 22 is about right for a decent squad size. That doesn't leave a lot of room for trimming (although that depends on how many loan signings the manager wants), but there are obvious spots on our roster that are taken up with clutter. Chadwick, Feeney and Lowry are the three that everyone mentions. I'd put PCH and Charles in there as well. If we sign two players who can actually do a job for us, that's equivalent to three players off the wage bill without us having really lost anything.

There's a decent core to the squad who seem to be quite well-drilled, about 12-13 players who I'd rather we kept. With our form over the last three months, I don't see the need for wholesale changes. "Take out bad wood, put in good wood" as John Goodman said.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Andrew Owen":3oovftja said:
We need to factor in the playing budget.

As of 14:59 yesterday there were 25 players in our squad, 22 contracted to us. I think 22 is about right for a decent squad size. That doesn't leave a lot of room for trimming (although that depends on how many loan signings the manager wants), but there are obvious spots on our roster that are taken up with clutter. Chadwick, Feeney and Lowry are the three that everyone mentions. I'd put PCH and Charles in there as well. If we sign two players who can actually do a job for us, that's equivalent to three players off the wage bill without us having really lost anything.

There's a decent core to the squad who seem to be quite well-drilled, about 12-13 players who I'd rather we kept. With our form over the last three months, I don't see the need for wholesale changes. "Take out bad wood, put in good wood" as John Goodman said.
That's the salient point for me.

We've shown that if supplemented correctly, we're quite a good team under JS. Of course we need good signings as well but the idea that everyone bar a few young uns should be slung out is far off the mark in my opinion.

I agree with adding Charles onto the list. PCH I would agree too but he's under contract thus not easy to shift. Very unpopular opinion here but I also think Branston is a bit overrated by the GA and can only get worse at the age he's at.

While I agree with most of that Sam and Andrew, don't agree about Branston, I think while he's unrefined and a little clumsy (and do think he's very slightly overrated on here), I think that he plays 'the Purse role' of last season, ie. intercepting aerial deliveries from the back and diving in making tough tackles, and he plays it excellently. He's much better than Purse and is a couple of years younger as well. While he will be caught out of position a few times, it's more a reflection on his role in my opinion. Branston is the big ball-winner and overall meathead, to be played with a quieter, more efficient, quicker (either in feet or mind) covering centre-back, such as Wotton or Nelson. It's the type of partnership that has been successful at all levels of football, and as we don't have another centre-back in the Branston mould I think we must renew him.

As regards to whether we need a massive clear-out, no. I would only release Chadwick for obvious reasons, Feeney because even though he works hard he's not a good footballer, Lowry because even though he's shown flashes (not as much as some think however) is just too injury prone, and I would only keep one of Charles and Wotton, Charles would be the one I'd release. I'd also try to get rid of PCH and Gilmartin who have another year on their contracts.

earl grey

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 26, 2011
I've never hidden the fact that I dislike wotton...but since filling in in defence he has done well. Got exposed for pace but did well (looked like a sprinter compared to branston)

But, I wouldn't be me if I didn't want him gone, but in all honesty another year will be one too many. Go out on a 'high' wotton!

Branston, same as, freshen things up!

Keep berry, but wernt there rumours about him wanting out? Was last year too tho.

Baz, keep if possible

Blanch-go
Charles-go

Nelson...is a defender, keep!

Pch, Chadwick, feeney, thanks but see ya!

Conor hula hoop, I'm slowly coming round to him, last 8 homes games or so he has made less stupid mistakes. Let him play, but not as captain and not all the time as he is prone to a mistake.

Young-play him!

Matey from Newquay...thanks but no thanks

Oh and rene, I will drive him away myself!

Gurrieri-love him!

Apr 13, 2013
Yes we need a massive clear out as I tried to say after final whistle but I and the thread was deleted..........
No mistakes. Assuming John Sheridan stays and I sincerely hope he does he will be aware of the massive shortcomings of the Squad.
Expect a mass cull. I read some of the comments with dismay I must say.....

Certainly CH will be retained I would imagine. Bhasera likely to be leaving. Jake Cole hopefully will stay but nothing much else. Maybe the Harvey lad will get another run out but for the rest the axe must fall.....

5 seasons of shocking football in a row. End it now James Brent or leave if you just want to develop property, even if that puts the club into a severe cashflow situation no doubt....

Time for action Mr Brent......No talking just Act.

Jan 27, 2012
Well for TWO years running, this group of players have nearly been relegated out of the football league and have finished in Argyles worst ever position- in 125 years of football. This year we were saved by loan signings- Banton in particular.

How can anyone argue that the current players are any good, when the hard facts speak for themselves ?

Yes- the squad needs re-building. And money needs to be spent doing it.