Next year's team - do we really need a massive clear-out? | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Next year's team - do we really need a massive clear-out?

Apr 12, 2013
Plymouth
The obvious ones has to go chadders (worst player I've seen in an argyle shirt) feeney and Lowry. Shame Lowry didnt work out I actually didnt think he was too bad when he did play but the fact he was injured for the majority of the season dont need any more injury prone players at this club.

Branston, Cole, Hourihane, and gurrieri must be retained for next season possibly Wotton with a years extension too although he would be a bit part player next season. Would love to see bhasera stay on too but it's unsure whether he will stay or want to play at a higher level. Charles not sure about really would only be a back up at best.

Keep the youngsters on for an extra season hopefully if JS stays and we continue our resurgence these youngster could shine next season.

Also I would get rid of Gilmartin and sign a better 2nd choice keeper to push for Coles place in the team.

Not sure about PCH hasn't been great but hopefully given a bit more fine tuning he could be a better player next season.

With regards to loanees Murray is pish waste of a shirt he can go. Would defiantly try and re-sign Reid if we can get some goal scoring strikers to play alongside him. Likewise with cox even though he would miss the start of the season we should really try and sign this guy he is a class act and that midfielder we've needed for ages. Him and hourihane compliment each other perfectly and you could clearly see he was missed when he picked up that injury at Exeter. It had to be Exeter didnt it. Finally with Bryan really rate the lad highly would love to see him on loan next season but I have a feeling we will play a big part for Bristol city next season in league 1 so it looks unlikely at the moment.

Mar 3, 2004
Cornwall
Anyone else getting deja-vu?

Sheridan came in for 19 games last season and took us to 8th in those games - he has done 42 games this season and we are 9th in those games.

I don't actually see this season as an improvement on last (under Sheridan) but more of the same where we win about the same number of games as we lose so not really doing enough to challenge for promotion although being safely around the upper middle of the table.

Another clear-out is now called for again which could well result in the same posts again this time next year unless we can somehow improve the quality of loanees and free transfers that are the reality of what we have to work with.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
I was thinking this the other day myself. We haven't really improved from relegation candidates to a top 8 team this season at all which is the spin some put on it. Under JS and with some new additions after New year last season as you say we were a top 8 team for the majority of the second half of last season so we are no further forward with a full season under JS.

Sep 16, 2009
Bournemouth
In some ways this season is even more bitterly disappointing than last. We started the season with an experienced manager at the helm and a chance to push on and the truth is we are at best average. we have won as many as we have lost in a mediocre league and have a negative GD. Our home form is absolutely shocking, we have only been saved by a few good away wins. Look at how small clubs like Rochdale and Fleetwood have done and there can be no excuses. The only consolation is that our west country rivals have done even worse! Yes we need a clear out, something, anything to improve on the worse run in Argyle's long history.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
jerryatricjanner":3hu6yd7l said:
I was thinking this the other day myself. We haven't really improved from relegation candidates to a top 8 team this season at all which is the spin some put on it. Under JS and with some new additions after New year last season as you say we were a top 8 team for the majority of the second half of last season so we are no further forward with a full season under JS.
That's a valid point but it was easier to come top 8/9 over a few months where we could get some excellent loan signings than to come top 8/9 over a whole season having to make a fair few permanent signings.

Our record for this season is pretty similar (slightly worse) than our record under Sheridan in the last 20-odd games of last season. But I do think it was easier for him to do it then than now.

Next season it's got to be top seven at the very least. If it isn't then something will have gone wrong at either boardroom or dugout level- but he deserves that chance, for me. Simple as.

Mar 18, 2014
amazes me how people are only interested in painting a negative picture by manipulating stats.

Last season we stayed up by one point, and at one stage during the last match we were down. Thankfully Daggers and Barnet contrived to lose we managed to finish 4th bottom.

The year before we finished 4th bottom and stayed up by 2 points.

This season we are comfortably mid-table and flirting with the play-offs - yet we have not improved????????????????

As for home/ away form..........I much prefer going to away matches, generally a better atmosphere and people just supporting the team, maybe the players feel more comfortable and less pressured away from home??

Definitely there are fewer tactical geniuses at away games :)

Jan 27, 2012
YES we need a clear out.

Mid-table in league two would be one of the lowest finishes in the club's history EVER. Only worsened by Fletcher's post-administration team, many of whom are still in the current squad.

They are just not good enough, however much the green-tinted supporters on this forum delude themselves.

Get rid. Bring in better quality. Lets hope Brent can fund it. That's the only way to improve and build up home gates again.

Mar 3, 2004
Cornwall
Vampires11":262elig1 said:
amazes me how people are only interested in painting a negative picture by manipulating stats.

Last season we stayed up by one point, and at one stage during the last match we were down. Thankfully Daggers and Barnet contrived to lose we managed to finish 4th bottom.

The year before we finished 4th bottom and stayed up by 2 points.

This season we are comfortably mid-table and flirting with the play-offs - yet we have not improved????????????????

As for home/ away form..........I much prefer going to away matches, generally a better atmosphere and people just supporting the team, maybe the players feel more comfortable and less pressured away from home??

Definitely there are fewer tactical geniuses at away games :)

The point I was trying to make that nothing has changed since this time last year - people are still calling for a clear out of players. Under Sheridan last season (28pts from 19 games) we took more points per game than we have this season under Sheridan. Of course comparing the 2 seasons as a whole we have done much better this season than last season.

Jul 30, 2013
The Wicked Westcountry
The real clear out needs to be of the bench, way too many there who would make no impact on the game therefore making them pretty much useless.

Stop relying on loans so much would also be nice, way too many though I appreciate they're more important in the lower leagues. You can unearth gems but unfortunately they can just be recalled, ie Lavery.

Only other thing I notice is a suspiciously large amount of people who posted on this thread now who 'do not exist'..

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
Only Sheridan will know whether he will/might be able to bring in better players, but if there's any chance at all of that happening them please, please let's start putting a new team together. Some of the players really are not going to be good enough to take the club forward, and that's saying a lot. The fact that we're still able to make the play-offs doesn't make me feel good about this team however hard they may have worked to get us so much further up the table than last year. The defence is still sieve-like and the attack is too often toothless, largely due to the inadequacy of the midfield. Surely it wouldn't take much to produce a team capable of passing the ball the way *spit* Exeter did the other week? Their players were distinctly average but seemed to at least possess an idea of how to pass and move.

This must surely be Wotton's last season, so there's one who almost certainly won't be around next year. I think we've got to keep Nelson but neither Blanchard or Trotman have covered themselves in glory so either would be fortunate to stay. We'll probably be ok to keep Parsons and Purrington as left backs but Berry would be one of the first to go if I was in charge. So at least one new right back is going to be essential. That's a lot to consider and we haven't even got to the midfield yet! Hard work in summer in other words.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Yes a massive clear out will be the priority. We have a hugely inflated squad of 26,mostly average players, by far one of the biggest if not the biggest in league division 2.What that does state,however is that the club is currently supporting and can support in future a massive wage bill. I would like to see a lot more quality in the team,especially in midfield,rather than quantity next season.Whether Sheridan goes with that remains to be seen,and whether I renew my ST as well.

C

Cobi Budge.

I'd say

McCormick

New player, New player, Nelson, Purrington

Thomas, Hourihane, New player, New player

Reid, Alessandra

Bench: Cole, Young, Banton, Wotton, Harvey, New player, New player.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
i think a massive clear out will happen naturally with players contracts up and others being shown the door.i would also add that the coaching staff need thinning out.we have mr sheridan and mr owers and surely this is enough?sean McCarthy,rhys wilmott,ian stonebridge and john harbin are,in my opinion,surplus to requirements.if i was the owner i would not employ these blokes.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
I think the team could be improved in every area. The question being how far does our finance stretch?

For me the first signing needs to be RR on a permanent.

Secondly, I'd we are playing next season with wing banks then we need a RWB.

Thirdly, a toss up between a holding midfielder and a new CB.

Fourthly, any other position we can I prove, probably right sides midfielder.

Apr 21, 2012
Malvern
So, magically the positive impact of one loan player over the Christmas period- Lavery- is forgotten, and you all want a "massive clear-out".

I suppose we could then at least look forward to the prospect of a slow start to the season as the team attempts to gel and the manager tries to figure out again what his best line-up is.

Make do and mend my friends.