No home pre-season game (update - v Reading U21) | Page 11 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

No home pre-season game (update - v Reading U21)

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
ealinggreen":8cfwfh8u said:
Argy1e":8cfwfh8u said:
Ed_Blackburn":8cfwfh8u said:
Lost opportunity to entice a few last minute season ticket waverers too.

Surely Torquay, Exeter, Gas, someone, fancy a game? He's an idea. Call up Newport County. By my reckoning their general manager owes us one...
What would be the point in playing a team in our league? A lot of Reading's U21's go out on loan and play in L1 and L2 and generally do quite well, so we should be playing a higher level team than all four you've mentioned.

That is just nonsense.Most of Readings under 21 s will become plumbers etc and part time footballers.The idea they are better than a league 2 side shows no understanding of football at all.At moat two of them will become league footballers,the rest will just get on with life.
There's a fair few players in Reading's first team that have come through their academy. They have a category one academy and have some of the best youth players in the country which is highlighted by the fact their youth team play in the top league. Most of their U21's that went out on loan last season (as I've already mentioned) were key players for the teams they played for in League 1 and league 2 which suggests their careers in the game lie higher up the pyramid. Obviously, some players wont make it, but most of them should do, if they weren't good enough, they'd probably have gone at 18 like most young players do.

You saying that I have no understanding of football at all given the facts on display highlights that it's maybe you that actually doesn't have a great understanding.

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
I think certain people are missing the point. Reading's u21 side might have some decent players and might have produced some players that have been succesful in Reading's first team but as a PROFESSIONAL club we really should be looking at a higher level of opposition. This matter should have been resolved months ago, it it thoroughly unprofessional by the club that they have had to scurry around at the last minute trying to find opposition, no matter how poor it is.

Feb 25, 2007
St Blazey
It's pre season. Who cares. Get a grip. Honestly.....moaning for the sake of it. We've got decent away games which will be a test. That's all we need.

Trev501

🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸
Jam First
Brickfields Donor
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 3, 2006
Dolores (Alicante) Spain
CornishPaul":8cllq68w said:
It's pre season. Who cares. Get a grip. Honestly.....moaning for the sake of it. We've got decent away games which will be a test. That's all we need.
:iagree: The staff are as aware as we are of the poor situation we find ourselves in and all this wailing and gnashing of teeth won't improve matters. Suffice to say its a situation that is highly unlikely to be repeated.

Nov 15, 2013
I do love the childish bickering on here of who should or shouldn't and whether they are worthy opponents or not!
Personally, it would be nice to see a half decent side down here. One to make a wee and I'm sure it is wee bit of money and two to actually get the proverbial juices flowing for the upcoming season - who knows we might even get one or two who enjoy it and come back again or even a fan/s who stopped coming when it all went belly up years ago for them to reignite their Argyle interest!!
Id love to see UTD, Liverpool.......etc but surely any competitive game on the hallowed Home park turf is better than fudge all For the players and yes us the paying fans!!

Still Green and staying Green until further notice!! COYG!

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
We are playing Readings 3rd team, in effect. Not the first team, not the reserves. I'm sure they will be technically good, probably quiet athletic. That said, we should be playing someone's first team, from league 1. But we aren't, so let's move on.

What disappoints me tho, is that the club have made it annoyingly awkward to pay a reasonable entrance fee. For those that may have gone, to get tickets in advance to save 2 quid will more than likely put them off. Why don't they just charge £5 for adults and £3 for everyone else? We'll be lucky to get 3k through the turnstiles I'm afraid

May 22, 2006
TomLannigan":ysuyfisc said:
Forest Green will be more of a challenge!

Forest Green are still playing their previously arranged friendly at Cirencester the following day. Therefore we might not get to play a full strength FGR side.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Monster Green":26eulr58 said:
We are playing Readings 3rd team, in effect. Not the first team, not the reserves.
Teams generally don't have reserve sides anymore, or if they do, they class their U21's as their reserves as they're able to field three older outfield players and an older keeper. Whether they'll be sticking to the normal U21's team restrictions or not, I don't know, but it's not going to be their third team.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
pastiesforlife":197fzpef said:
TomLannigan":197fzpef said:
Forest Green will be more of a challenge!

Forest Green are still playing their previously arranged friendly at Cirencester the following day. Therefore we might not get to play a full strength FGR side.

I have a feeling FGR will be more inclined to have their first team play a home tie against league opposition than on the road against a non-league club (not that playing FGR's first team is any real consolation).

Sep 6, 2006
CornishPaul":3f5vlrex said:

No it isn't! Exactly the sort of attitude that contributes to Plymouth being a football backwater all these years.