Olly Lee Signs | Page 11 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Olly Lee Signs

C

Cobi Budge.

Hmm, not disappointed but not pleased either. Largely indifferent.

Guess it gives us a bit more depth but I go against the general opinion on here in saying I don't see the rave about Olly Lee and I think we have better options.

I think Lee has come in and because he's shown he can get himself in to the box and look like scoring, fans have got a bit excited (naturally so) because fans love a player who can scare opposition defences. The point is, Lee, if played as an out and out CM isn't that good, if played as a CAM then he's a good player, but Bobby is our CAM and then we have Blizzard who can play that position as well.

I just don't grasp the view that Lee compliments Bobby, in the last two matches, Bobby has done far better when Lee hasn't been on the pitch, the reason being he steals Bobby's thunder in a way, when Lee is playing he usually plays alongside Bobby which often forces him into a deeper position which he's not comfortable with. Against Cambridge, Bobby was having a mare up until Lee came off (Lee did quite well in that game I admit but Lee doing well sacrifices Bobby doing well), then he had the freedom of the CAM position and he scared the living daylights out of a good Cambridge defence, I thought the same happened to a somewhat lesser extent at Exeter, and if the sending off didn't occur and Cox came on for Lee, it would have followed an almost exact pattern to Cambridge, I'd put money on it.

Lee clearly has a good shot on him and he clearly has an eye to get into a good forward position, but his short passes are poor, and his positional sense in terms of his defensive/midfield duties isn't superb, and his concentration can be lacking at times. Lee isn't a bad player, I stress that, but in the last two games, we've looked a far more threatening side when we've actually had a more defensive player (Cox) on the pitch, why? Because it gives us a balanced shape and as I explained above, Bobby turns into, well, Bobby.

As I explained earlier in this thread, there's a difference between a balanced and a defensive formation, Cox gives us balance and is able to run a game.

My order of preference is still:

1. Cox
2. Norburn
3. Blizzard/Lee (I can't pick to be honest).

We have 5 (6 if you include Bobby) good midfielders at this club, so I'm not saying Lee is poor, I'm just saying we have better players than him in our side, I'd have Lee on the bench to come on for Cox or O'Connor if we are chasing a game.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Cobi Budge.":uqdypf3e said:
Hmm, not disappointed but not pleased either. Largely indifferent.

Guess it gives us a bit more depth but I go against the general opinion on here in saying I don't see the rave about Olly Lee and I think we have better options.

I think Lee has come in and because he's shown he can get himself in to the box and look like scoring, fans have got a bit excited (naturally so) because fans love a player who can scare opposition defences. The point is, Lee, if played as an out and out CM isn't that good, if played as a CAM then he's a good player, but Bobby is our CAM and then we have Blizzard who can play that position as well.

I just don't grasp the view that Lee compliments Bobby, in the last two matches, Bobby has done far better when Lee hasn't been on the pitch, the reason being he steals Bobby's thunder in a way, when Lee is playing he usually plays alongside Bobby which often forces him into a deeper position which he's not comfortable with. Against Cambridge, Bobby was having a mare up until Lee came off (Lee did quite well in that game I admit but Lee doing well sacrifices Bobby doing well), then he had the freedom of the CAM position and he scared the living daylights out of a good Cambridge defence, I thought the same happened to a somewhat lesser extent at Exeter, and if the sending off didn't occur and Cox came on for Lee, it would have followed an almost exact pattern to Cambridge, I'd put money on it.

Lee clearly has a good shot on him and he clearly has an eye to get into a good forward position, but his short passes are poor, and his positional sense in terms of his defensive/midfield duties isn't superb, and his concentration can be lacking at times. Lee isn't a bad player, I stress that, but in the last two games, we've looked a far more threatening side when we've actually had a more defensive player (Cox) on the pitch, why? Because it gives us a balanced shape and as I explained above, Bobby turns into, well, Bobby.

As I explained earlier in this thread, there's a difference between a balanced and a defensive formation, Cox gives us balance and is able to run a game.

My order of preference is still:

1. Cox
2. Norburn
3. Blizzard/Lee (I can't pick to be honest).

We have 5 (6 if you include Bobby) good midfielders at this club, so I'm not saying Lee is poor, I'm just saying we have better players than him in our side, I'd have Lee on the bench to come on for Cox or O'Connor if we are chasing a game.
Bobby Reid does NOT play cam.

C

chronicgreen

B Reid has been average since his return and should not be guaranteed a place in the starting VI as most seem to advocate on here.

C

Cobi Budge.

chronicgreen":3j5bbog3 said:
B Reid has been average since his return and should not be guaranteed a place in the starting VI as most seem to advocate on here.

Unless he really starts playing poorly, then for now he should be in the starting line up without doubt, our dip in form coincided with him leaving the scene (along with Hartley & O'Connor) & our pick up in form has more or less coincided with his return.

He's not been as good since he returned I'll agree but he gives us the dynamism we miss when he's not around. He's more influential than Lee & Blizzard so who would you play ahead of him?

There are some players who's mere presence in a side is vital even when they are not performing superbly, Bobby is one. Dropping him would be a ridiculous thing to do, especially when we are at home and need to be getting at the opposition.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
I like Lee personally. I think he's a very tidy midfielder and certainly an improvement on Norburn from what i've seen.

With Blizzard somewhat injury prone, that leaves only Cox to fill that final midfield slot on a regular basis. Lee gives us some good depth in a position where I think we are quite weak. Think he's more likely to produce goals that the others i've named as well which is also a bonus. We've really lacked a goalscoring threat from midfield this season without Hourihane.

C

Cobi Budge.

Nobby":2qbh8dkg said:
I like Lee personally. I think he's a very tidy midfielder and certainly an improvement on Norburn from what i've seen.

With Blizzard somewhat injury prone, that leaves only Cox to fill that final midfield slot on a regular basis. Lee gives us some good depth in a position where I think we are quite weak. Think he's more likely to produce goals that the others i've named as well which is also a bonus. We've really lacked a goalscoring threat from midfield this season without Hourihane.

It's amazing how opinions can differ. From what I've seen Norburn has been very good every time he's played for us.

Apr 30, 2011
I think the obvious goal scoring threat from Lee compared to Norburn and Cox is the difference. Blizzard does offer an option going forward and he has shown that on the rare occasions he is fit. But he is just too injury prone. I doubt Blizzard will ever play at a higher level than he currently is due to his injuries. He was worth a punt as an injury prone 27 year old but as an injury prone 30 year old few teams will want to take a gamble on him on the wages he probably commands currently. Real shame as he is quality when fit.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Cobi Budge.":3o1td72u said:
Nobby":3o1td72u said:

It's amazing how opinions can differ. From what I've seen Norburn has been very good every time he's played for us.

Our results are better when Lee plays.

When Norburn has started, we've won 2 and lost 5. In Lee's 6 starts, we've won 4, lost 1, drawn 1.

Norburn's most impressive performance was probably at home to Exeter, but lets be honest, they were woeful that day. He's not shown enough to be above any of the other CM's in the pecking order in my opinion. Talented, though.

The big thing about central midfield is balance. One player may be better, but it's about who will compliment Bobby & AOC the best. Right now I think that's Olly Lee. After that, Cox, if you're trying to impose yourself into the game, or need more organistation/structure in midfield.

Keepitgreen

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
chronicgreen":3mxy5cdi said:
I agree with you about Bobby Reid but disagree about the starting V1. I hope we're allowed to use X1. :)

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Cobi Budge.":3fxn0imf said:
Nobby":3fxn0imf said:

Would you class 5/10 performances as very good?

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
spowell92":12ho6nt0 said:
Cobi Budge.":12ho6nt0 said:
Nobby":12ho6nt0 said:

No I wouldn't, but I also haven't seen him turn in one of those. There's no doubting results have turned around since he's been in the midfield. He isn't the only factor, but the balance he brings certainly is one.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Nobby":1g63xnwr said:
spowell92":1g63xnwr said:
Cobi Budge.":1g63xnwr said:
Nobby":1g63xnwr said:

No I wouldn't, but I also haven't seen him turn in one of those. There's no doubting results have turned around since he's been in the midfield. He isn't the only factor, but the balance he brings certainly is one.

I agree with you Nobby. I'm talking to Cobi and his thoughts on Norburn.