Olly Lee Signs | Page 12 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Olly Lee Signs

C

chronicgreen

Keepitgreen":mdjy54ax said:
chronicgreen":mdjy54ax said:
B Reid has been average since his return and should not be guaranteed a place in the starting VI as most seem to advocate on here.
I agree with you about Bobby Reid but disagree about the starting V1. I hope we're allowed to use X1. :)

:oops: Six a side anyone?

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
spowell92":2xq7gtrx said:
Nobby":2xq7gtrx said:
spowell92":2xq7gtrx said:
Cobi Budge.":2xq7gtrx said:
Nobby":2xq7gtrx said:
I like Lee personally. I think he's a very tidy midfielder and certainly an improvement on Norburn from what i've seen.

With Blizzard somewhat injury prone, that leaves only Cox to fill that final midfield slot on a regular basis. Lee gives us some good depth in a position where I think we are quite weak. Think he's more likely to produce goals that the others i've named as well which is also a bonus. We've really lacked a goalscoring threat from midfield this season without Hourihane.

It's amazing how opinions can differ. From what I've seen Norburn has been very good every time he's played for us.

Would you class 5/10 performances as very good?

No I wouldn't, but I also haven't seen him turn in one of those. There's no doubting results have turned around since he's been in the midfield. He isn't the only factor, but the balance he brings certainly is one.

I agree with you Nobby. I'm talking to Cobi and his thoughts on Norburn.

Oh so you did, I misread the quotation order. Carry on :thumbup:

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
I think we've got 7 (8, if you include Harvey, 9 if you say Allen too) capable central midfielders.

And I think I'm the only one who rates every last one of them to some extent :lol:

I think the Norburn results with him in and out the team is a case of correlation over causation. Let's take two games we lost with him in the team. Newport away and Oxford home. One away to the team in the middle of a ridiculously good run of form on a pitch they were familiar with and we weren't. One home with a depleted squad with ten men.

In each of those two games, Norburn put in exceptional performances and we didn't lose because of him. It's just a disfavourable coincidence to his stats that he was in for those two games. The only really bad game he's had is Wycombe home. He is a very good footballer, people say stats don't tell the whole story but they don't even tell half of it with him.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Yeah, Norburn is an alright player. I wouldn't say he's been exceptional in any game I've seen, but he's a decent League Two central midfielder. If he had to be chucked in, I'd trust that he'd do a job. Personally much prefer Lee to Norburn. I also prefer Cox generally as a footballer to Lee, but I think the Lee, Reid, O'Connor trio compliment each other tremendously and is our best midfield combination.

I went back over some of the brief synopsis threads of the games that Norburn started, as I felt I was possibly missing something considering the praise he's received recently. Mostly he was scoring 5s or 6s and described, as I'd previously thought of him, as pretty good if not a tad inconsistent (who isn't in this league?!). However I find it funny that Cobi describes him as "very good everytime he's played for us", but has so far given him 5s and 6s throughout the season. In what was probably Norburn's best game, the Dagenham 3 nil in which most people singled him out for a bit of praise, Cobi popped up with "Norburn - 6 - yeah he was alright, if I'm honest I'm still more of a Blizzard fan.". Just reinforces my thoughts that Norburn is being overly bigged up in an attempt to belittle Lee, just as many on the Lee camp are belittling Cox's efforts for the season. For most, its a happy medium somewhere in between.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Some people may say stuff or play players up/down for the sake of belittling other players but it's not for me.

I was far from won over by Norburn until his spell out of the side. Thought he was questionable against Exeter/Orient and poo against Wycombe. He changed my mind however after that Wycombe game where he seems to have worked his backside into solving a lot of his faults.

Ever since he came back into the team in November and December, he was not too far from faultless and showed what a player he always had it in him to be. I thought he did very well against Dagenham and Northampton away which were the two wins that led up to Christmas.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
I struggle to disagree with that, he's definitely a player carrying bags of potential and he's not too old to be written off of fulfilling that.

C

Cobi Budge.

GreenSam":lb81figx said:
Some people may say stuff or play players up/down for the sake of belittling other players but it's not for me.

I was far from won over by Norburn until his spell out of the side. Thought he was questionable against Exeter/Orient and sh1te against Wycombe. He changed my mind however after that Wycombe game where he seems to have worked his backside into solving a lot of his faults.

Ever since he came back into the team in November and December, he was not too far from faultless and showed what a player he always had it in him to be. I thought he did very well against Dagenham and Northampton away which were the two wins that led up to Christmas.

Personally thought his best game was Swindon home, absolutely ran the middle of the park.

Apr 30, 2011
GreenSam":2h0ouea5 said:
I think we've got 7 (8, if you include Harvey, 9 if you say Allen too) capable central midfielders.

And I think I'm the only one who rates every last one of them to some extent :lol:

I think the Norburn results with him in and out the team is a case of correlation over causation. Let's take two games we lost with him in the team. Newport away and Oxford home. One away to the team in the middle of a ridiculously good run of form on a pitch they were familiar with and we weren't. One home with a depleted squad with ten men.

In each of those two games, Norburn put in exceptional performances and we didn't lose because of him. It's just a disfavourable coincidence to his stats that he was in for those two games. The only really bad game he's had is Wycombe home. He is a very good footballer, people say stats don't tell the whole story but they don't even tell half of it with him.

I thought he played well against Oxford, but he gave the ball away in a dangerous part of the pitch which led directly to their 2nd goal.

Oct 24, 2010
Cobi Budge.":1akcanil said:
Nobby":1akcanil said:
I like Lee personally. I think he's a very tidy midfielder and certainly an improvement on Norburn from what i've seen.

With Blizzard somewhat injury prone, that leaves only Cox to fill that final midfield slot on a regular basis. Lee gives us some good depth in a position where I think we are quite weak. Think he's more likely to produce goals that the others i've named as well which is also a bonus. We've really lacked a goalscoring threat from midfield this season without Hourihane.

It's amazing how opinions can differ. From what I've seen Norburn has been very good every time he's played for us.
I like Norburn as well, he is our best passer, but there must be questions over his fitness and athleticism. I know he was only on the bench but his warm up last Saturday was half hearted to say the least and he does look a bit overweight. Very good footballer though.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Penmaster":2sb1b6lv said:
GreenSam":2sb1b6lv said:

I thought he played well against Oxford, but he gave the ball away in a dangerous part of the pitch which led directly to their 2nd goal.
I forgot that. But to be fair he'd played very well for 85 minutes and was cream crackered having played two games in three days in such testing conditions.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
GreenSam":20v9cwnv said:

I was far from won over by Norburn until his spell out of the side. Thought he was questionable against Exeter/Orient and sh1te against Wycombe. He changed my mind however after that Wycombe game where he seems to have worked his backside into solving a lot of his faults.

It didn't help that he was the only "new" new midfielder brought in this summer with Hourihane leaving and therefore a lot of people expecting this young lad to just slot into our former captain's role. Not only was he never realisitically going to achieve the same levels of performance as Conor (if he could he would have gone to a Barnsley himself) but further to this his ability was played down a lot by the "shouldn't have sold Conor" camp.

As others have said he has got potential and his a decent enough L2 midfielder in the here and now, effectively the Hourihane who joined us a few years ago, by no means the finished product but enough talent to make a good career for himself as a midfielder and hopefully progress up a division or two. His only problem really is that he has a lot of good midfielders vying for the same starting berth, a problem that a young(er) Hourihane never suffered with having joined at the very trough of our financial meltdown.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
I agree with the last line especially, Ollie.

If the Norburn of now joined then, and if the Hourihane of then joined now it'd be two very different scenarios.

Feb 21, 2011
This Norburn love in is a bit over egging it Don't you think, still he may get a chance tomorrow or Sheridan may revert to his default safety first option and play Cox. I'd play Blizzard personally.

C

Cobi Budge.

esmer":16m8wg1t said:
Cobi Budge.":16m8wg1t said:
Nobby":16m8wg1t said:

I like Norburn as well, he is our best passer, but there must be questions over his fitness and athleticism. I know he was only on the bench but his warm up last Saturday was half hearted to say the least and he does look a bit overweight. Very good footballer though.

Can't say I've noticed this Nobby, but I don't pay much attention to the warm ups in fairness. He needs regular game time to bring him up to speed, it's tough with the competition we have in our side, that's why more reserve games are needed.