Only 12 Points Off The Play Offs | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Only 12 Points Off The Play Offs

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Keepitgreen":w03qfpr1 said:
Ray_Stidwell":w03qfpr1 said:
samjones":w03qfpr1 said:
moles40":w03qfpr1 said:
Anyone know the odds for us to make play offs

I'll give you a 1000 - 1 here and now. Leicester have more chance of winning the premiership with kids

Sam, I’ll take you up on that: a tenner would pay £10,000. Pm your bank account details & the tenner is yours. I will transfer it straight away.

Thanks

Ray
I'll have a fiver on it Sam. All proceeds to our charity.

I'll have a tenner on it.

Ponty

English and proud of it
Staff member
R.I.P
Sep 27, 2006
Plymouth
I'll have a fiver with you Sam.

My winnings donated to the GT's please.

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
Hahahahaha Sam has gone quiet

Lev Yashin

🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Aug 1, 2017
Canada
Finishing anywhere between 12th and 20th will be considered a very uplifting season for us all.
After the shambles of the early season dicipline and hard graft have finally come to the forefront.
If this continues then we will be okay.
No game home or away is a guarantee what you put in is what you get out 90% of the time.
Win at home tie away is the formula so make Home Park the fortress it should be. :thumbs:

Ray Stidwell

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
An interesting comparison of our current league position with Exeter's after 17 games last season (courtesy of Greens on Screen, of course).

Exeter 2016/17 P17 W5 D1 L11 Points 16 Position 24th

Argyle 2017/8 P17 W3 D5 L9 Points 14 Position 23rd

I doubt that you guys who are offering to take Sam's odds will be hearing from him confirming the bet.

Having said that, I'm feeling quite hopeful of my small bet at 25/1 that we will finish mid-table or above.

Beyton Green

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 19, 2005
I'll have a tenner as well.

Only 12 points you know - all positive here (til Saturday at least).

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
I'll have some of that action too if you don't mind Sam, I don't usually gamble but at those odds who could turn it down? #PlayoffPush #Wembley2019 :scarf:

Mar 14, 2009
Even if you don't believe we can make the playoffs....1000-1 in league 1, then a £5 punt would be ridiculous not to take up.

However, despite the eutrophic unbeaten run there is a reason why Sam would probably win every ones money with ease. For a start, we have a massive relegation battle on our hands and are still firmly in the **** given that four teams go down and our position is 23rd.

When we take the lead, we have something to hold onto to. Without it though we don't look like a side who can comeback and win from behind. Something I believe a lot of us didn't like about Sheridan's time at the helm.

Its great having a backs to the walls performance. Yet lets be honest. How many times in games do you honestly think we are going to win games when teams are out shooting us 3/4:1 ratio as a minimum! Teams wont keep missing penalties or hitting the crossbar like Bradford did. You keep gifting teams chances and they will eventually be taken. Now you might say how well we have defended. However, if you watch Argyle closely they never actually press the man on the ball. This just doesn't happen from the inside oppositions half, the half way line, but actually around our penalty box. Our inability to tackle results in numerous crosses and shoots in and around our penalty box. So you can have the best defenders in the world, but when you give teams as much time and space on the ball they will hurt you.

Secondly, us going forward. Fleetwood, Shrewsbury and Rochdale saw us struggle at home to break down a team. You could say the target man role is the issue. However, without support, whoever is up top will always struggle. The midfield sits so deep to protect the defence that often the forward and the wide men are isolated. Its the same pattern of play. The difference is that with all the chances Bradford had yesterday, they just didn't score unlike the teams mentioned above.

So yes, 1000-1 is a wonderful chance to make a lot of money. And like I said before Argyle can survive playing this way because teams like Bradford yesterday wont all take their chances. Yet if you really honestly believe Argyle are one of the best 6 teams and can claw back 12 points deficit in this league, given the performances we have seen this season, then I am watching totally different football team.

However, just to prove how bonkers THIS all is. Argyle are 250/1. I have just put a £1 on to finish top 6. Now if we finish top 6 I will donate £100 of that to PASOTI for next season (to do as IJN wishes). I don't believe it will happen. Yet seeing a lot of you guys seem to think its possible, how about putting a £1 on and pledging some of those winnings if Argyle do it?

If you really want to win though an outside bet on Argyle and IF Sam doesn't want to do his 1000/1 shot. :lol: :whistle: :whistle: ...then..... 18/1 for Argyle to finish in the top half of the table.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Of course its hugely unlikely and agree with the first part MGM, we dont look like a side who can take a game to an opponent, which makes me slightly nervous of our next few fixtures in truth.

However, i do think alot of people are being sucked in by this shot ratio thing. Lets be clear the shots Bradford were having pops from 30 yards, how many goals a season are scored from that range? Its a throwback to the George Graham Arsenal side, two (or sometimes three) big centre backs, let them shoot from 30 yards, or cross it into an area where your big centre backs should dominate. If you have a good solid goalie, then chances are the opposition will struggle to score. They had very few clear cut chances, nothing in the 6 yard box, no free headers etc etc.

Its not pretty, but it works.

The question is, what will we do against a side who come to Home Park and try and do the same - thats almost certainly what will decide our finishing position this season.

Mar 14, 2009
Voice_of_Reason":2ikhy98i said:
Of course its hugely unlikely and agree with the first part MGM, we dont look like a side who can take a game to an opponent, which makes me slightly nervous of our next few fixtures in truth.

However, i do think alot of people are being sucked in by this shot ratio thing. Lets be clear the shots Bradford were having pops from 30 yards, how many goals a season are scored from that range? Its a throwback to the George Graham Arsenal side, two (or sometimes three) big centre backs, let them shoot from 30 yards, or cross it into an area where your big centre backs should dominate. If you have a good solid goalie, then chances are the opposition will struggle to score. They had very few clear cut chances, nothing in the 6 yard box, no free headers etc etc.

Its not pretty, but it works.

The question is, what will we do against a side who come to Home Park and try and do the same - thats almost certainly what will decide our finishing position this season.

I agree with you on stats. You can massage them to look however you would like.

However, the problem is the number of crosses and shots the opposition have, often unchallenged, that are against us. At HP how many times in the 8 league home games do we often see the opposition full back camped in our half of the pitch? Fleetwoods no 2 or Mellor for Blackpool way back in September are just two examples off the top of my head. This often leads to us being over run and totally dominated. We have full backs who are just too slow to keep getting up and down the pitch. A reason why Adams 4-2-3-1 system is flawed.

It seems to work currently but l'm just not convinced that if you keep giving teams chances, which we do, they won't punish you. In games we have taken the lead we got results. Hence why our results have been better recently. What happens though when we concede first?

Jul 12, 2016
This.Our improvement will be tested over the next two home matches.We did better away last season with DA's tactics but we were not so good at home.We always give the opposition too much respect and therefore start on the back foot.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Just placed a £50 bet with myself so either way, playoffs or NOT I'm going to be rolling in money :scarf:

Because I'm a generous kind of guy I will let you retract your bets after the next 2 home games fail to bring us 6 points

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
samjones":24uverh1 said:
Just placed a £50 bet with myself so either way, playoffs or NOT I'm going to be rolling in money :scarf:

Because I'm a generous kind of guy I will let you retract your bets after the next 2 home games fail to bring us 6 points
Not so confident then. :)